How to find out what is blocking one of my hotkeys?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have created a hotkey (CTRL ALT N) using the properties window of a
shortcut icon kept on my desktop.

This hotkey combination worked fine until some other utility or
application got installed which somehow prevents that particular
hotkey combo from working. Now nothing happens when I press CTRL ALT
N.

If I reassign the hotkey to another letter then it is ok. Other
hotkey work fine.

How can I find what is causing the original hotkey assignment not to
work?

----

Maybe there is some system tracing utility which will show what apps
gets involved when I press that hotkey combination.
1 answer Last reply
More about find blocking hotkeys
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote
    | I have created a hotkey (CTRL ALT N) using the properties window of a
    | shortcut icon kept on my desktop.
    |
    | This hotkey combination worked fine until some other utility or
    | application got installed which somehow prevents that particular
    | hotkey combo from working. Now nothing happens when I press CTRL ALT
    | N.
    |
    | If I reassign the hotkey to another letter then it is ok. Other
    | hotkey work fine.
    |
    | How can I find what is causing the original hotkey assignment not to
    | work?
    |
    | ----
    |
    | Maybe there is some system tracing utility which will show what apps
    | gets involved when I press that hotkey combination.

    One way to find out is to open each recently-installed program.
    In turn, click each item on the menu-bar. Expand each sub-menu, and look
    at the right hand side for any text relating to a shortcut key
    combination. Also check every configurable option that relates to
    accelerator keys.