Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 7:49:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: < 2 Months preferrably

Budget Range: $700 After Rebates (The lower the better without compromising too much)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (ME3, Dota2, LoL, Guildwars2), Movies, Internet Surfing

Parts Not Required: Mouse, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MicroCenter (Denver,CO), Newegg, NCIX US, TigerDirect

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, HAF 912 Case, Radeon Video Card

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (not super important, 720p monitor would be fine too)

Additional Comments: I've put together and ideal system that I believe would fit my budget. My main concern is should I buy it soon or wait for it to get closer to the release of the Ivy bridge CPUs in hopes that price will drop a little more.

Here's what I've put together so far, I did not include a monitor because I figure I'll look for deals when it gets closer to the purchase date:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5FK8

More about : 700 gaming build advice

March 13, 2012 8:02:38 PM

g-unit1111 said:
That looks pretty good - I wouldn't get Patriot RAM as they have one of the higher fail rates among RAM vendors, this is a better bet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then swap your PSU with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And you're good to go.

I switched out the RAM for G.Skill RAM rather than the Patriot RAM. However I'm leaving the PSU the same for now because If I upgrade to that CPU it doesn't leave much room in my budget for a monitor. With the setup I have now it leaves ~$100.00 to purchase a monitor.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 8:04:46 PM

Agree with g-unit. Swap that psu for a seasonic or corsair model. OCZ power supplies have a reputation for being very hit or miss, and the last thing you want to skimp on is your psu. Also, check your local microcenter for the CPU over newegg or ncix. They usually have processors for 20-30 dollars less than comparable places. And go with newegg for everything else... they have just about the most bulletproof customer service in the business.
m
l
a c 288 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 8:10:08 PM

AMutedScream said:
Agree with g-unit. Swap that psu for a seasonic or corsair model. OCZ power supplies have a reputation for being very hit or miss, and the last thing you want to skimp on is your psu. Also, check your local microcenter for the CPU over newegg or ncix. They usually have processors for 20-30 dollars less than comparable places. And go with newegg for everything else... they have just about the most bulletproof customer service in the business.

Exactly - to me the most important parts of any system are the PSU and the GPU bar none, and that's one area where you don't want to skimp or compromise - doing so can have bad consequences later on.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:16:24 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Exactly - to me the most important parts of any system are the PSU and the GPU bar none, and that's one area where you don't want to skimp or compromise - doing so can have bad consequences later on.

I appreciate the advice. They have a 600W Corsair PSU on clearance at Newegg so I updated the link in my first post to reflect the build with that. More than likely, I'll end up buying the case/cpu at Microcenter since they are the best deals, and everything else at Newegg. I've had such a great experience in my 11 years ordering parts from them that I don't see a reason not to.

m
l
a c 288 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 8:26:58 PM

bernjc3 said:
I appreciate the advice. They have a 600W Corsair PSU on clearance at Newegg so I updated the link in my first post to reflect the build with that. More than likely, I'll end up buying the case/cpu at Microcenter since they are the best deals, and everything else at Newegg. I've had such a great experience in my 11 years ordering parts from them that I don't see a reason not to.

That should be a fine choice. Yes - I use Newegg pretty much exclusively anymore. I used to use Tiger Direct but after purchasing a POS Ultra Power Supply that screwed up my whole build, I'm not buying their brands again.
m
l

Best solution

March 13, 2012 8:29:09 PM

From Micro-Center in Denver, CO:
i5 2500K and a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Combo
$294.98

Much better mobo for less $ Supports SLI/Xfire

There is a MIR for an extra $10 too. That is just icing on the cake.

Also... Do you need a hard drive?
March 13, 2012 8:36:04 PM

pacioli said:
From Micro-Center in Denver, CO:
i5 2500K and a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Combo
$294.98

Much better mobo for less $ Supports SLI/Xfire

there is a MIR for an extra $10 too. That is just icing on the cake.

I was trying to find their combo deals but couldn't. Thanks for pointing this out!
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:41:22 PM

bernjc3 said:
I was trying to find their combo deals but couldn't. Thanks for pointing this out!

Just add the two to your cart and voila... the discount appears.
The discounts are actually in the print ads... which are on the website top right corner.
m
l
March 16, 2012 7:43:17 PM

Lol, I think you forgot a HDD.....
m
l
March 16, 2012 8:17:08 PM

pacioli said:
Also... Do you need a hard drive?

badjad05 said:
Lol, I think you forgot a HDD.....

So... Hard drive? yes, no, maybe so...
m
l
March 16, 2012 10:03:50 PM

pacioli said:
So... Hard drive? yes, no, maybe so...

Haha I was wondering how he got the price down so low and went through the whole build and couldn't find an HDD
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:42:48 AM

badjad05 said:
Haha I was wondering how he got the price down so low and went through the whole build and couldn't find an HDD

Nope don't need a HD. I have one that's been sitting in my closet unopened from the last time I upgraded my gaming machine
m
l
March 17, 2012 2:57:30 AM

Thats what I thought at first, but you didn't include it in the parts not required list :p 

Anyways, I suggest you get a 6870, 2500k, this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., and RAM, Case, MOBO, and whatever else should all be personal preference. Check out some of Neweggs combos and I would most definitely snatch that CPU + MOBO deal at microcenter!
m
l
March 27, 2012 1:05:23 AM

Best answer selected by bernjc3.
m
l
!