My gaming computer build

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hi
What a surprise: I'd also like some advice on a new computer build I'm planing...

Approximate purchase date: upcoming weekend :bounce:

Budget Range: up to 2000$ (including also the 2 monitors, OS, keyboard)

System Usage: mostly gaming (Skyrim, Blackops & similar), little office stuff of course, ...

Parts prefered: no OCZ SSD :non:

SLI/Crossfire: not planed but why not if you think this is the "must have" for me :wahoo:

Monitor Resolution: 2x 1920x1080

Overclocking: a little bit, maybe.

Note:
1st The prices are in Swiss Franks (which is about 1:1 to US$). Don't wonder if prizes are different. In Switzerland they are and my shop is relatively cheap.
2nd Feel free to post me stuff from other (english) shops, I'll have a look if I can buy it somewhere here in Europe.

Now this is what I have in mind:

Intel Core i5 2500K BOX, 3.3GHz, LGA 115...
1 219.-

Asrock P67 Extreme6 (B3), Intel P67 B3, ...
1 166.-
=> need another idea. This was on my list before the Midgard II with a front usb 3.0 was released.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, .
1 95.-

Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9, 4x4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9@1,65V
1 93.-
(price seems good and they aren't large rims, had a little trouble with my current cpu cooler and large rims).

Noctua NH-U12P SE2, Sockel 1366/1155
1 75.-

Xigmatek Midgard II Midi Tower - Black
1 79.-

Super Flower Golden Green SF-600P14XE
1 123.-

Gainward GTX-570 Phantom 1.28GB
1 329.-

Samsung SSD 830Series D-Kit, MLC, 128GB,...
1 199.-

Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 1TB, SATA-3
1 110.-

Asus DRW-24B3ST, DVD drive
1 38.-

Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000, C...
1 38.-

Asus VS228H, 22" FULL HD TFT, 16:9, HDMI...
2 139.- (=>278)

Total: 1842.-
Link to the "shopping cart": http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=uHGtTUA64Vw

This is a Swiss shop but you can switch to English in the header and the product details (even if still with some German in it) are surely no problem to understand...

As I already commented, I surely want another main board, as I don't need the front USB 3.0 anymore from the Asrock since the Midgard II has such one on it's front panel. Maybe I can save some money there and still get something nice...

I assume I'll also have to add a fan or 2 maybe. If you have some advice on fan control so they don't run on 100% all the time...

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help.

PS: What I forgot to mention - If it really is worth waiting until Ivybridge, tell me and maybe how long you estimate it will take until they are released...

g-unit1111

Titan
Parts prefered: no OCZ SSD :non:

Good call - :lol:

As I already commented, I surely want another main board, as I don't need the front USB 3.0 anymore from the Asrock since the Midgard II has such one on it's front panel. Maybe I can save some money there and still get something nice...

You don't really need it - most devices that plug into the front USB ports (cell phones, etc) are all USB 2.0 anyways.

I assume I'll also have to add a fan or 2 maybe. If you have some advice on fan control so they don't run on 100% all the time...

Fan controllers are pretty worthless and a major pain to install, IMO. You don't really have to add any extra fans as most of the higher end cases will have plenty to begin with.

PS: What I forgot to mention - If it really is worth waiting until Ivybridge, tell me and maybe how long you estimate it will take until they are released...

Not really - I'm against waiting since every time it seems like Ivy is getting ready to release, Intel keeps pushing it back. Even the most hardcore Ivy people will admit that the CPUs will only offer a 10% increase in performance - not that much when you really think about it.

Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9, 4x4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9@1,65V
1 93.-
(price seems good and they aren't large rims, had a little trouble with my current cpu cooler and large rims).

The large rims are really pointless, but 16GB is kind of worthless on a gaming system.

Try this for your budget:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - CHF 102
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 - CHF 123
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3H - CHF 143
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - CHF 219
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - CHF 47
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB 1600MHz - CHF 65
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - CHF 111
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - CHF 161
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - CHF 34
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - CHF 459
Monitor: Asus VH242H - CHF 175

Total: CHF 1639

Comes in at 200 under - you get a way better case, SSD, motherboard, and one of the best video cards on the market - and you get room to play around with getting a second display or some good peripherals.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Can I assume that the P67 is no longer a requirement since overclocking is not the prime motive for the build? A Z68 would be okay? Just checking. :)

g-unit1111

Titan

Both overclock about the same - anyone that tells you one overclocks better than the other most likely doesn't know what they're talking about.

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

The new link: http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=QGO97YYnq4U
Still unsure mostly about the PSU, the monitor and the SSD (see question above)

price difference between the 1639 written here and 1951 in my buy list is caused by adding the monitor a 2nd time, OS and keyboard.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for the info. I was only going by the "overclockers" alleged preference for the P67. I'm not much of an overclocker myself so I wouldn't know for sure. I do know that I'm partial to my Z68 though. :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
How did I get into this discussion? Anyway follow this link and see what a $179.00 i5-2500k does to the FX-8150:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=434
oh and it's $179.00 here:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589
But that's not the point - the point is what upgrade path is there from the 8150 and the rest of it's family? None. Not because some "fanboys" or I say so but because AMD is cutting it's loss on a failed platform. Why is it a failed platform? Because of benchmarks like the one I linked to. Lots of benchmarks. From lots of sites.
I couldn't advocate an FX cpu as the best out there. That would be dishonest. How's the saying go? "In your heart, you know I'm right". :)

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
as amd isn't really in discussion i guess...
back to topic please^^
Again I ask
"A conceptual question I forgot to ask: What do you put on a SSD? OS and the regular programs, right? How much do games profit? I guess not much as else you wouldn't reccoment me such a "small" SSD."
And for opinions on the Corsair PSU (and alternatives), the monitor and SSD.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

First an apology for the way LongpastPNR and I "high jacked" your thread. Some people are just way too passionate when it comes to defending "their" platform of choice. ;)
For a good article on the use of ssd's in games I offer this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-rift-ssd,3062-14.html
That's the last page but seemed relevant to your question. The cost of larger size ssd's is prohibitive at this stage. Thats why the small size recommendations. As far as PSU's - here's another recent offering from this site that may help in your decision:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322966-28-list-recommended-psus
I'd stick with the name brands for a monitor: Samsung is one of my personal favorites. Could be costly but heck - without a good display what's the use of the other stuff right?
Hope this helps somewhat. :)

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
SSD: Crucial M4 because of the reliability
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp IPS 2412 or 2410 whichever you prefer or, 2x Iiyama x2472HD
Intel Core i5 2500k because of it's splendid efficiency. No bulldozer can come close to that. Let alone the heat dissapation of the 8150 lol....

PSU: Antec, Seasonic whatever fits in your budget, I'd try to get a " gold label" psu

tiang

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Go for Z68 series motherboard, 8GB of ram should be more than enough, GPU should go for AMD 7950 or 7970. You MIGHT be regret if the rumours about the Nvidia Kepler is true - 3X performance than the current nvidia cards. Asus monitors should be very good. Good luck!

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Half a year ago people in the German speaking tomshardware forum recommended me super flower psu's as they are supposedly reliable, give a good stable electricity output and not expensive. Those have also some gold labels... Anyone here who can oppose this? I don't see a reason why not to get for example http://www.super-flower.de/index.php?id=94 for about 100$.

This tells me there is a little advantage of using SSD's for games, but as you say they cost too much for larger sizes which contradicts each other.
I guess I'll stick with the Crucial M4 for OS only.

Hm on monitors I like to stick with Asus too, I guess. They can't be 'bad' I hope. Dell and Iiyama are rather expensive (and the latter a brand I never heard off(!)).

Did they announce a release date? Or will this take another 2 or 3 month anyway...
I somewhere just read the GTX680 (or just the highend kepler) is possibly planed for August which is too long. Would the "performance" GPU GK104 which might be released soon (between mid March and mid April) be possibly good enough? Or just a cheaper alternative with less performance to the AMD 7950.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Don't know much about that brand but some of their units have received good reviews (here):
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=229
and other sites. I'd say go for it. :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I told you that Samsung was one of my personal favorites - but that's not what I'm using. ;) I use an Asus and no they certainly are not "bad". I never heard of a Iiyama either. Using your ssd only for your boot drive is pretty much the accepted way today. When prices come down for the bigger drives in the future that will change fast. :)

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes that's the basic idea - I use mine as boot only and then load my programs and large files on the secondary - it works great.

The Corsair PSUs are good - I use the same one and have had no issues from it aside from maybe a dead connector or two (mine's 2+ years old).

I told you that Samsung was one of my personal favorites - but that's not what I'm using. ;) I use an Asus and no they certainly are not "bad". I never heard of a Iiyama either. Using your ssd only for your boot drive is pretty much the accepted way today. When prices come down for the bigger drives in the future that will change fast. :)

Yes Samsung makes good monitors - I've never heard of that brand either - I'm guessing they're European only.

Half a year ago people in the German speaking tomshardware forum recommended me super flower psu's as they are supposedly reliable, give a good stable electricity output and not expensive. Those have also some gold labels... Anyone here who can oppose this? I don't see a reason why not to get for example http://www.super-flower.de/index.php?id=94 for about 100$.

I don't know much about those - I hear they're good and energy efficient - I know NZXT makes some based off that platform but I don't know of any others that do that are at least of that caliber manufacturer.

Did they announce a release date? Or will this take another 2 or 3 month anyway...
I somewhere just read the GTX680 (or just the highend kepler) is possibly planed for August which is too long. Would the "performance" GPU GK104 which might be released soon (between mid March and mid April) be possibly good enough? Or just a cheaper alternative with less performance to the AMD 7950.

Don't expect Keppler out until at least then - the new Radeons are out and they're overall solid across the board. I can't wait to get my hands on a 7850 this week. :lol:

The thing is though right now - all NVIDIA is doing is talking and drumming up PR noise. Until the actual products are out and benchmarked I'm not buying the hype.

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Ok - finally had the time to have a good look again.
This is my planed build: https://www.digitec.ch/Startseite.aspx?wk=EFfsMX1W4Uw
What I'm currently looking for is a motherboard alternative (to the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) in the same price and performance range as they don't have that one on stock in the stores I use.
Then also the question if the RAM is compatible with the MB (the Gigabyte and also the one you maybe propose).
And finally - I believe the 650W PSU is enough. Even rather more than I need. Or what do you think?

Thanks again.
Of course feel free to propose also other improvements - as always.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Here's 3 that I would offer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792 @ about $180.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773 @ about $130.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781 @ about $120.00

The ram would be:
CORSAIR CMX8GX3M2A1333C9(XMP) 8GB ( 2x 4GB ) 9-9-9-24 1.5 (your setup needs 1.5volts)

650W is plenty for what you want.
Good choices. :)

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

What's the advantage of the $180 board to the $130? The 180 got bluetooth, some more rear USB connections, a rear eSata and something called an EPU switch which I don't know what it is. Or is there anything else that should make me pick the $180 board? Overclocking should work fine on both I guess...
So I don't see a reason to buy the $180 board. What do I overlock?^^