Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a Gaming PC <700 budget.

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 8:43:59 PM

Hello.

Approximate Purchase Date: In a week or two.

Budget Range: After rebate, 700.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Internet, watching movies, Gaming (DIABLO3,LOL)

Parts Not Required: Power Supply, keyboard, mouse, speakers, CD drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg!

Parts Preferences: Intel or AMD doesn't really matter.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: I'm not sure. I'm probably gonna connect this desktop to my tv, or I have a 24inch.

Additional Comments: I need a stable, computer that will smoothly run Diablo 3, but not the highest, since my budget is sort of low.

Thank you!

Best solution

March 14, 2012 1:22:36 AM

What PSU do you already have?

Also, are you sure you can scrounge up a PSU and a CD Drive but not a Hard Drive? Hard drive prices are high right now due to natural disasters and if you had an older one you could use it would buy you a whole lot better gaming experience.

www.lifetimeprogress.net/projects/ComputerBuilding.swf

I programmed that (work in progress) and it should give you some ideas about what to look for in terms of parts in that budget range. With the parts you have laying around, you can probably get away with the $800 build minus those things.

The OS isn't factored in, but if you are trashing a computer to salvage parts from it anyway maybe you can keep both the hard drive and the OS.

If you can't keep the hard drive + OS, you might want to focus more on the $600 build listed instead. Those two things come in at easily $200 together.
March 14, 2012 1:48:40 AM

I actually do have the hard drive that I used to use, but I don't know if it's still reusable or not. How do I tell if it is still alive? And I have a GX series 450W Power Supply.

And about the OS, how do I recover that as well?
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 2:00:04 AM

Check my sig. :) 

I wouldn't recommend re-using the PSU unless for an extreme budget build.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:05:36 AM

Unless you have a good reason to believe it doesn't work, it probably does work.

Files are loaded into the OS that are specific to the motherboard it is connected to. That most likely means if you change the motherboard you would have to reinstall the OS.

For that you would need OS install CDs. I don't know the status of the computer these parts are coming out of, but if it is still bootable then you might be able to get in and write down your CD key that allows your install to be validated and then use that same CD key for the next install.

If you don't have the ability to boot the computer and you don't have install CDs laying around, the cheapest legal thing to do is buy a Windows 7 Upgrade CD you qualify for, assuming the old computer had XP or Vista on it. These cost the same as an OEM CD except they are legal for PCs that you intend to use yourself.

If you are a student, you can buy a student copy of Windows 7 for really cheap on MSFTs website or through your school instead. If you aren't a student, but you know one, the version they get is a full version so they should be able to sell it to you for however much they feel like.

PSU - I am not a fan of Cooler Master PSUs. Indeed you might go as far as to say I am an enemy of Cooler Master PSUs.

That being said, it may still work.

You would have to just buy all the rest of the parts of whatever build you end up getting and save $50 in case you need to get a better PSU when you try the current one and it doesn't work if indeed that happens.

Zero_ said:
Check my sig. :) 

You should avoid encouraging people to use illegal OS copies. It is morally wrong and against the TOS of the TH boards.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:48:17 AM

Raiddinn said:

You should avoid encouraging people to use illegal OS copies. It is morally wrong and against the TOS of the TH boards.

:o  where did i do that?
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:45:53 AM

In each of your recommended builds, I am assuming since I looked at 3 random ones and they were all using the same illegal OS.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:02:26 PM

He reccommends an OEM version of the OS, but it is not illegal.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:42:11 PM

According to who, exactly?

It certainly is illegal according to Microsoft, the maker of the software, for someone to put an OEM license on a computer they intend for personal use.
m
l
March 14, 2012 1:05:55 PM

I'm not a big fan of our justice/legal system but if lawyers are always getting around the system why not us lil' guys...

Why not buy the OEM OS, gift it to a ( mother/father/wife/sibling/child ) , who in return just gifts it back to you? I mean, literally hand it to them, they turn around hand it back to you, bang, you are using the OS for your personal computer that was gifted to you from someone else?

I know this sounds lowly, but I'm sure if a court case was brought up, some lawyer would try this.

Just a thought, hit me with the other "what if's"
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:10:52 PM

That isn't legal according to the license agreement.

The license must be transferred or it is not legal. It cannot again be transferred a second time or it becomes illegal.

When it is transferred once, only that person can use it.

Microsoft's lawyers did this airtight, random non-lawyers aren't going to devise a legally sound defense.

That also means that if some family with a husband, wife, and 2 kids buys a laptop or desktop PC, from say DELL, then only one of them can legally use it, but we are going to overlook that for now.

My point is if perfectly good and legal alternatives exist, those should be done instead. A student copy of Windows 7 Professional is much cheaper than an OEM license of Home Premium (avg $65 afaik) and being that it is a retail non-oem it has a different licensing scheme. Those licenses can generally be transferred to anyone at will and used by any number of people at once.

Students can get 1 license a year if they want this way, and obviously they only need 1 license in total, so they can supply licenses to other people at cost if they want. Completely legal.

Technically speaking the system only validates that you have a student email address by making you go into it and click a link, so if the student's school lets them keep their email address active after they graduate, they could be looking at student copies of OSs for life, potentially.

I didn't go into the license agreements with a fine toothed comb, but this is probably acceptable. I don't think they stipulate that the student must be currently studying, but I could be wrong.

Similarly, most people who are getting a new computer have an old one. If you have an old computer with XP that you will agree not to use in the future, you qualify for a retail upgrade CD. They cost the same as a OEM CD except they are retail copies that can be transferred at will and used by as many people as the owner desires.

You can buy such an upgrade CD for your old computer and then transfer the license to your new computer and it is completely legit as long as you delete both OSs from the old computer you are junking.

Most people can generally fit into one of those two options in some way shape or form without doing the tiniest illegal thing. For the people that can't, you can often get legal retail copies at a discount to the regular price in a deal, $30 more than the OEM CD, for example, isn't the worst price to pay to do things a legally and much less restrictive way.

In any event, laws like those governing intellectual property rights (like these) are intended to help people, not hurt them. They aren't there to protect corporate profit margins, they are there to ensure that corporations have a good reason to invent new things (believe it or not, this costs money) and another company can't just copy it for a cost of 0 and sell it.

If these laws weren't in place, everybody would be using DOS right now. Companies wouldn't make things if they didn't think they could recover the cost to develop it through sale prices.

Paying the legal cost of an item is the good citizen's way to show they are happy a thing maker is making them new toys to play with, or in this case new operating systems to use.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:16:52 PM

lol nobody is gonna throw in jail for using oem but the idea is good :D 

for op this is a build

intel i3 2120
asrock h61 mobo
corsair vengence 2x4 gb 1600mhz ddr3
xfx hd 6870 1 gb
seasonic 620w 80+ bronze psu
thermaltake v4 mid tower case
windows 7 home premium oem

total around 500-600 usd
u can get a better case like cooler master haf 912 and a i5 2400 within 700 :D 
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:32:05 PM

There are a lot of things you can do, that you should not do, and you have only a very small likelihood of being thrown in jail over.

Should people do those things, no.

Society loses when people think, "I shouldn't do it, but I will anyway because I probably won't be punished".
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:46:29 PM

Well...

How about this

I'm sure there are zero laws telling you about purchasing Seagate HDD's, right?

Society has said it's ok to buy those, shoot, nothing points to it being really wrong.

Yet if you look at it from a, say, perspective of an Asian worker, being taken away from their families to work for little to no pay to make these super cheap neato HDD's for the masses, it now has a different taste huh?

Wait, you purchased a Seagate HDD didn't you? No law states that was ok/not ok, right? Society tells you it's ok, right?

Raiddinn, I really wanted to agree with you at first, but your very last bit made me have to speed post on this one, not alot of thought, just a "hey what about this view" post.

You purchasing a HDD that you thought/is (see I agree, it is totally "legal) out there for the masses to buy doesn't make you the perfect person society has to offer. It makes you a contributer to the slave trade kinda, doesn't it? So before you post things like "Society loses when people think, "I shouldn't do it, but I will anyway because I probably won't be punished." just makes you sound, well, like you have it all figured out, huh?

BTW, I have contributed to it too, the slave trade, not sure if I can really stomach it now that I even thought of what I said and has been pointed out by the recent investigative journalism...
m
l
March 16, 2012 12:04:28 AM

Tydalwave - You go live on an island somewhere completely disconnected from the rest of the world in every way shape or form and you won't have to worry about "contributing to the slave trade". You won't have to worry about breaking the law because there won't be any.

The rest of us live in something called civilization that is ruled by laws. For the rest of us, if something is legal you can do it freely, if it is not then you risk such things as punishment or ostracism or being looked down upon or whatever when you do it.

A long time ago, people got together and agreed on some common rules in order that they could coexist peacefully and this is where the rest of us are at now.

One of those things they didn't agree on, IE there is no law against it, is buying products made in a sweatshop. Therefore there is no law against it. One thing they did agree on is that people should be able to recover the development cost of something new they invented, therefore there are laws to help ensure those costs can be recovered.

It has nothing to do with anything philosophical about what is right or wrong. It has to do with what is legally wrong, something that has been codified and recorded for all to see. There is no gray area here, it is either black or white. You are either breaking the law or you aren't.

For thousands of years now every civilization that has ever existed has made laws and punished people who broke them. The thing you can take from this is that breaking laws is somehow "wrong".

Every person who ever lived in any civilization ever has understood this pretty well, but apparently you are having trouble keeping up. Even going back to 1000 BC when the average adult was about as smart as today's 3rd graders they still understood this concept, but apparently not everyone today is up to speed.

I am sorry that society has somehow failed to instill a belief in you that breaking the law is bad and not breaking the law is good. Hopefully society can rectify that in the near future.
m
l
March 16, 2012 7:57:44 AM

"A long time ago, people got together and agreed on some common rules in order that they could coexist peacefully and this is where the rest of us are at now."

Ok.

Let me put a little spin on that.

A long time ago, people got together and agreed that the law was infringing on their beliefs/lifestyles, they left that country in search of a land where they could get away from the law.

Those peoples views are NOT what todays society has turned into your so called "laws". You are a perfect example of what todays society has turned people into...sheeple.

Just because the law doesn't say you can't do something, morals, heck common sense will tell you that you shouldn't do it. You sir, drank the Kool-Aid.
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:22:03 PM

They did not want to get away from law, they wanted to get away from a certain law and go to a place where they could make their own better laws. The founding fathers didn't come to America in order to live in complete Anarchy where people could do whatever they wanted without repercussions. You will have to come up with a better example of this.

It is the duty of every citizen of any place to follow the laws of that place. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. If you don't like it, you go somewhere with laws more to your liking. The entire concept of civilization is built on this duty.

I hear China is quite the haven for people who disregard Intellectual Property law, so people that want to install and run illegal software have a home there.

Also, it has nothing to do with what laws don't say you can't do. It has to do with what laws do say you can't do, like install software illegally.

Morals stack with laws. Anything a good citizen does should be both morally right and legally right. If either one is not right, then the action should not be done. Installing and running illegal software is both morally wrong and legally wrong, so you are twice as wrong to do it.

Not to mention it is against the TOS of this website to suggest people do illegal things, another thing for which you are twice as wrong.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:33:45 PM

There is nothing illegal in installing OEM system builder OS's. Take a look at what Newegg.com says when offering Microsofts Windows 7 System Builders software.

"Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings."

Intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale does not mean you cannot purchase the software and use it. What it does say is that you re subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder Liscense. Which is not any any way shape or form a "law" that you say, it's a TERM. The only thing someone purchasing this software is going to be not getting is Microsoft Customer Support.

Society thought certain women were witches and burned a few, that was the majority view wasn't it? Were they right? Of course not.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:14:43 AM

Tydalwave - You don't own software most of the time, regardless of how much you paid for it. The software maker licenses it to you. That means you are allowed to use it if you do so in exactly the ways they state.

The conditions for an OEM CD to be legal say that the computer must be resold or the license is not legal and it must not but further resold or the license becomes illegal. Additionally, only the person who the license was transferred to can use it.

If you don't use it in exactly that way, the license agreement is null and void which means you have no right whatsoever to use the software. Using software you have no legal right to use is a form of piracy.

This all falls under Intellectual Property law and it most definitely is law. Intellectual Property lawyers don't make the big bucks because people can just do whatever they feel like and violate terms and conditions all the time and nobody cares.

Additionally, the OEM system builder license is only legal if the OEM system builder software is installed with a thing called and OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) which individuals don't have, usually.

Seriously, find any real lawyer that specializes in intellectual property law. Heck, find 10. Ask all of them whether it is legal to do what you are talking about.

Tigerck127 - If you are going to use a FM1 motherboard and a Llano processor, then don't use the GTX 550 TI and get some Crucial or Kingston 1866 RAM instead. The FM1 Llano processors are meant to have their graphics capabilities used.

If you don't want to use the FM1 graphics capabilities, then its better just not to get a FM1 Llano processor and motherboard at all.

If you want to have the 550 TI, then you should get an i3-2120 processor instead of the FM1, and some sort of Intel 1155 motherboard to go along with it. H61 boards can't do any OCing, and they are about as far from future proof as you can get, but they are usually pretty cheap if you are trying to cut costs.

A low end Asus or Gigabyte H61 board should probably be about $50 and the i3-2120 probably about $120 so it isn't too far from your current motherboard/processor choice in terms of price and if you are going to use the 550TI anyway it should perform better.

The 550 TI is on par with a HD 6850 which is still a pretty high end gaming card in the full spectrum of cards available on the market so it should be fine to play Diablo3 on it. League of Legends should also have no problems working on a 550 TI, I know for a fact it works on my 6850.

That being said, I cannot under any circumstances ever condone someone getting a Cooler Master PSU. You should get either an XFX 450w or an XFX 550w instead.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:43:46 AM

@ above, no, the 6850 is not on par with the 550ti. It is much better.
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:27:17 PM

I guess you are right, its more like a 6770 or 6790. Still, those are pretty decent cards and they should be able to run those games. Not on ultra or anything, but they should run at least.
m
l
March 27, 2012 1:07:23 AM

Best answer selected by tigerck127.
m
l
!