Sign in with
Your question

Boot up stuck on 'Initializing USB controllers'

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 10:01:00 PM

Hey,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong board, I wasn't sure which one to post in.

As the title states, whenever I boot up my PC it hangs on 'Initializing USB controllers' and there's nothing I can do. The keyboard won't work so I can't access BIOS. I've tried taking it apart and putting it back together to no avail so I'm pretty stumped on what the problem is. Is it a software or a hardware problem?

Thanks in advance for any replies
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 10:21:55 PM

JJtang said:
Hey,

As the title states, whenever I boot up my PC it hangs on 'Initializing USB controllers' and there's nothing I can do. The keyboard won't work so I can't access BIOS. I've tried taking it apart and putting it back together to no avail so I'm pretty stumped on what the problem is. Is it a software or a hardware problem?

A little more info please. What mobo/os? Did you unplug all your USB peripherals and then try?
March 14, 2012 12:13:03 PM

Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX

Gfx: Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

HDD: 2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM
Seagate ST3100340AS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM

PSU: Antec NEO HE550GB 550W Modular PSU With 80mm Low Speed/noise Fan 18db

Memory: 2x Corsair 1GB DDR2 800mhz
2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 800mhz

I don't have a clue what the PSU is =S

Unplugging all the USBs was the first thing I did. But it still hanged at the same point. And then I took it apart after and still no luck.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 12:32:04 PM

JJtang said:
Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX

Gfx: Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

HDD: 2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM
Seagate ST3100340AS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM

PSU: Antec NEO HE550GB 550W Modular PSU With 80mm Low Speed/noise Fan 18db

Memory: 2x Corsair 1GB DDR2 800mhz
2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 800mhz

I don't have a clue what the PSU is =S

Unplugging all the USBs was the first thing I did. But it still hanged at the same point. And then I took it apart after and still no luck.

Did you try resetting your cmos?
March 14, 2012 1:35:38 PM

Ok I just reset CMOS and when I boot up some Asus background comes up and at the bottom it says 'Press DEL to enter setup, TAB to display BIOS POST message'. But I can't do either because the keyboard doesn't work, USB or PS2. Would that mean there's something wrong with the mobo then?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 1:52:18 PM

JJtang said:
Ok I just reset CMOS and when I boot up some Asus background comes up and at the bottom it says 'Press DEL to enter setup, TAB to display BIOS POST message'. But I can't do either because the keyboard doesn't work, USB or PS2. Would that mean there's something wrong with the mobo then?

While it could be the motherboard (when things go wrong it can always be the mobo it seems :)  ) let me asked some more questions. What is your CPU? How, specifically, is your ram placed? And is this a new build?
March 14, 2012 2:39:15 PM

CPU: Intel Core 2 6600 2.40Ghz

The ram is placed Corsair/Kingston/Corsair/Kingston (Orange/black/orange/black slots)

This is a very old build =p

The mobo, psu, Corsair memory and the 2x320gb hdd were bought 6-7 years ago.

The gfx card was probably 2-3 years ago and the cpu, 1tb hdd and Kingston memory withing the last year or two.

a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 3:10:44 PM

JJtang said:
CPU: Intel Core 2 6600 2.40Ghz

The ram is placed Corsair/Kingston/Corsair/Kingston (Orange/black/orange/black slots)

This is a very old build =p

The mobo, psu, Corsair memory and the 2x320gb hdd were bought 6-7 years ago.

The gfx card was probably 2-3 years ago and the cpu, 1tb hdd and Kingston memory withing the last year or two.

Okay - thanks for the info. This will sound strange I know but a wise person on these boards came up with an idea to try. Remove your cmos battery. Leave it out for about 15 minutes (that's the strange part) then replace it and boot. I only ever removed them and replaced them immediately myself. Something to do with dissipating the power. See what happens.
March 14, 2012 3:18:27 PM

Have to go to work soon but I'll try removing the battery later tonight or tomorrow and will let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestions so far =)
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 3:23:22 PM

JJtang said:
Have to go to work soon but I'll try removing the battery later tonight or tomorrow and will let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestions so far =)

I hope they helped you. Have patience - remember we got somewhere with the cmos reset. :) 
March 15, 2012 11:29:33 AM

Ok so I removed the cmos battery for 15 minutes and booted up and nothing's changed. The Asus background came up again with 'Press DEL to enter setup, TAB to enter POST BIOS message' and keyboard still doesn't work...
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 12:05:48 PM

JJtang said:
Ok so I removed the cmos battery for 15 minutes and booted up and nothing's changed. The Asus background came up again with 'Press DEL to enter setup, TAB to enter POST BIOS message' and keyboard still doesn't work...

Can you remove your Hdd and boot from the install disk? I'm assuming your first boot device is your Hdd thats why I said to remove it. (it also contains the os and we want to boot from the disk).
March 15, 2012 1:59:19 PM

Hmm that could be a problem. I seem to have mislaid the install disk T_T
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 2:14:10 PM

JJtang said:
Hmm that could be a problem. I seem to have mislaid the install disk T_T

Download this:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
See if it helps.
March 15, 2012 10:02:18 PM

This is a noob question but when you say 'install disk' do you mean the Windows 7 disk that's used for formatting?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 9:24:20 AM

JJtang said:
This is a noob question but when you say 'install disk' do you mean the Windows 7 disk that's used for formatting?

Yes. Or you can try the Asus disk that came with the mobo. Go to the link I gave you above and read about some of the test's that are included. If you have a Bios problem the disk can "by-pass" it. Worth a try at this point?
October 15, 2012 6:53:37 AM

idk but im gonna try that becuz im stuck with the same problem, my keyboard wont work. It claims its working (Says Entering Setup) Just seems to freeze up, its right after i installed win7, i was formatting, I deleted my partitions, hit new, then formated, installed. was i suppose to format first? then hit new? i messed it up, damn it, I just started video game design too
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 6:55:06 PM

Chaz21 said:
Can you remove your Hdd and boot from the install disk? I'm assuming your first boot device is your Hdd thats why I said to remove it. (it also contains the os and we want to boot from the disk).

I have the same problem or let say almost same. First of All my problem came after thunder-storm. The system with almost the same configuration use to work nicely till then. Afterwards the system couldn`t start. Firstly I changed the power source and then the battery - the system loaded successfuly but with long waiting with 'Initializing USB controllers' ...done". It still does everytime I start the machine. However I would live with that but unfortunately after loading I found that neither USB ports works, there is 5V power on them but nothing plugged works. I have tried a lot of things. Replaced all possibleparts, Reinstall drivers and OS (XP, Win7, Server), boot with live CDs and other solutions and ect. The problem sill...I have not any USB ports yet. The last thngs I could do up to me is to flash the BIOS and if doen`t help have to use USB PCI Card. Have you any other ideas of that strange for me problem and how it could be solved - it seems that the motherboard have a problem, overpowered or something else due the storm.
May 6, 2013 8:29:36 PM

JJtang said:
Hey,

I had the same problem and just fixed it- I had a faulty media card reader that I unplugged directly off the motherboard. You may also have a faulty USB device that's causing the issue.
!