GregoryHamil

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Will I encounter any problems using components purchased in other countries, say, with power supplies or optical drives?

Just wondering... I'm fairly new :(

Thanks

jingles98

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
hey dude i'm in Qld. i work at one of the local comp. shops and most of the stuff that we get in through our suppliers comes from over seas in one form or another so i wouldn't be too concerned. Only if your buying directly from a shop over-seas it may be dificult to get a warranty claim outta them. by the way where in aus are you??

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Most of the better power supplies come with a 120 - 240 V switch... You might need to replace the power cord if obtained from US or Japan. And most of the better power supplies are quite capable of handling 50 or 60HZ frequencies. (switching power supplies really don't care about input frequency, as it is all converted to DC anyway.)

Another issue is most of the overseas e-tailers won't ship overseas. So in AUS newegg, tigerdirect, et al are out.

A good source for local parts is staticice.com.au....

GregoryHamil

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for the advice guys!

I guess it's probably a bad idea to get a heavy power supply shipped from the US anyway.

But it seems that in some cases buying parts from online retailers in the US is cheaper than buying from Australian resellers, even after exchange rates and international postage... some of the ones I've seen in Australia haven't had such great prices.

staticice suggests otherwise though

Thanks again for your help.