Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Faulty 6-pin PCI-E connector?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2012 6:40:51 PM

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem as the poster here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310967-33-faulty-powe...

I have a 7800GTX powered by a 470w PC Power&Cooling PSU (supposed to be top of the line). When the 6-pin cable is connected to the card, nothing in the computer will turn on. Sometimes the CPU fan budges when I press the power button. When the 6-pin cable is disconnected, the computer turns on fine, but of course there's no display...

Is this a problem with the power supply, the graphics card, or something else? I don't have any other graphics cards to test with except a lower-grade Radeon from my dad's computer which doesn't require the 6-pin. Computer seems to work fine with it (although the fan on it makes a loud grinding noise; hopefully that's not new).

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 7:08:17 PM

Most likely a bad GPU, but the only way to tell is if you have a volt meter and check the pins, or if you have a different GPU to test with. 7800 is a very old GPU, it is very likely at the end of it's lifespan.
Score

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 12:20:29 AM

Could you check your 7800 by putting it in your dad rig. Just a though. Also do you have any friends you could take it to them and check it out or have them bring one to you to check it in your rig.

In my opinion I think you shoule get a new one and depending on what type of power supply (PSU) you have and brand name plus all the specs from your rig like ram CPU etc. Then we could help you find a good low priced card that would do what you need it to do.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:17:43 PM

Nostigex said:
Hi guys, I'm having the same problem as the poster here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310967-33-faulty-powe...

The problem there seems to be that the OP was trying to power a more powerful card with a lousy psu
Nostigex said:

I have a 7800GTX
Single or dual slot ? They are both pretty old cards at this point
Nostigex said: