Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will the i5-3570k be a bottleneck for a top end card 3 years from now?

Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2012 11:30:40 PM

Well I have finally decided to go with a single gtx 680 lightning and a i5-3750k cpu. When the GPU won't cut in anymore in the future(I want all games maxed out including AA and get 60fps+ since i'll use a 120hz monitor for 2d gaming), instead of buying a second 680 lightning, I have decided to sell it and get whatever top end card is out at that time. But, if my cpu will bottleneck it, I may go the sli route and get a second 680 instead.So what do you guys think? Because I need to know if I need to buy a motherboard and psu that can sli two of these IF you think my cpu will be a bottleneck because I don't want to buy another rig for the next 5 years. My resolution will be 1920 by 1080.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 11:40:44 PM

Let me consult my trusty 8 ball..............

8 ball says "Maybe."
June 27, 2012 11:43:44 PM

Look I know that there are many factors to consider, but based on current trends. What was a good cpu 3 years ago?the i7-950? Is the i7-950 bottlenecking a gtx 680 now? Even when overclocked?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 11:45:59 PM

Hi :) 

A pair of BIG expensive cards now and maybe ok for 2 to 3 years TOPS...

5 years...NO WAY...

All the best Brett :) 
June 27, 2012 11:48:56 PM

I personally think that an I5 3570K will not bottleneck a high-end GPU in 2-3 years. Now 5 years, yes but not 2-3.
June 27, 2012 11:52:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

A pair of BIG expensive cards now and maybe ok for 2 to 3 years TOPS...

5 years...NO WAY...

All the best Brett :) 

Alright so it seems that I will get a single gtx 680 lightning, play with it and then sell it in 3 years when it won't manage to run games maxed at my resolution, get a new powerful single card, overclock the i5-3570k to about 4.5hz, and I'll be good to go for another 2 years until I buy a completely new rig?

Best solution

June 27, 2012 11:54:07 PM

LonelyMan said:
Alright so it seems that I will get a single gtx 680 lightning, play with it and then sell it in 3 years when it won't manage to run games maxed at my resolution, get a new powerful single card, overclock the i5-3570k to about 4.5hz, and I'll be good to go for another 2 years until I buy a completely new rig?

Yes, that should work out fine.
June 27, 2012 11:59:44 PM

Penley54 said:
Yes, that should work out fine.

Awesome. I just saved myself future 1500$ because of that. I know that computers are a hobby for some people, but I just really cannot possibly understand why some of them spend astronomical amounts of money on upgrading their entire rig so often when in fact they could upgrade 1-2 parts and be done with it. That is IMHO, and tastes can't be discussed, but being a future student in business I had to point that out :p 
June 28, 2012 12:00:06 AM

Best answer selected by LonelyMan.
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 12:01:31 AM

Current trends yes, but as I tried to point out in my comment, who knows what the trends will be in 3 years? I dont, you dont, and neither does anyone else. The 3 yr old Intel chips are still viable yes, as is my 1090T which is around that old as well. In 3 years we may be only choosing from crappy games like what pollute social networks and phones and tablets. That is also a current trend, companies are trending towards easy to make, easy to sell, profitable crap. I realize its a bit of an overstatement, but its kinda silly for anyone to predict the future of PC hardware.
June 28, 2012 12:10:13 AM

Well we can at least make estimates. Based on current rumored specs for the next gen of consoles, I would say that 95% of future pc games will not be that demanding where you'll net sli for perfect fps. And another thing that will affect performance will be next gen game engines. If Unreal Engine 4 was able to run on a single kepler(i think and i know that the demo was optimized for kepler to impress people) at acceptable fps, then i'd say that the future is looking pretty good.
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 12:50:38 AM

Next gen consoles are gonna be running vid card technology that is already 1-2 years old. Equivalents of the 6770 from what ive read. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it sounds pretty accurate. Most likely your 3570k 3 years from now will still be running well. But cant say for sure :) 
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 1:04:30 AM

console systems are already holding back potential of the pc. so the likely hood of a game being that demanding is low. also if a game company made such a demanding game, its sales may weaken due to people computers not being able to run it as well.
June 28, 2012 3:52:12 AM

It'd be interesting to see this thread and people reply to it in 2-3 years especially with the next Generation consoles coming out...
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 4:18:28 AM

And what would you expect to happen? The specs are pretty well known for the next gen consoles, and what kinda horsepower theyll have. The biggest advantage to consoles is that each and everyone is the same. Can code games to maximize the hardware. Not the same for PC.
February 14, 2013 4:08:48 PM

pretty interesting thread we got here all i can say is that future games will be even more focused on optimized side than you would do fine with that i5 3570k and a single gpu remember if you do sli you most likely couldnt sell them later but if you want something veryy powerfull go with the i7 3xxxk and a asus rog ares II there isnt much more future proof than this or wait fo the haswel family rumors say that thelga 1150 will be compatible with the broadwell family Haswel is also expected to come out in the march-june timeperiod haswell is the upcoming family of intel cpus broadwel is the family after haswel so u got a lot of options but remember no sli
!