Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!! GPU/PCIE issues!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2012 7:17:00 PM

I tried installing a new video card this weekend and ran into major problems.

Hardware:
MoBo: Asus P5N32E-SLI
Old Card: Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT
New Card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
PSU: 550w

My old card was, and has been for 2 years, connected in PCIe-1 slot (blue). I disconnected power to the PC (unplugged cord), disconnected the 6 pin power connector and removed the old card. Inserted the new card, connected 6 pin power connector, and replugged in the main power cord. Everything booted up fine and Windows started. The resolution was off and I thought nothing of it as I had not installed the new drivers yet. Downloaded the new drivers from the disk that came with the new card (it went to the EVGA website) and began to install them. The Nvidia driver install program indicated that the driver install had failed. So I did a shutdown, unplugged the power cable from the PC, disconnected the 6 pin power connector from the video card and removed the new video card. I then replaced the old video (cause I knew it worked previously) and repeated the process. Upon turning the PC back on, I never got anything to go to my monitor. Complete black screen with an amber power light on the monitor. I was getting absolutely nothing coming out of the VGA to my monitor. I then took the old video card out and restarted the PC without any video card to see if it would reinstall my basic video drivers. Still nothing. I must have rinsed and repeated 4 or 5 times before I had to step away from it. I then came back a few hours later to re-approach the issue with a clear head. I then tried out of desperation to put my old video card into the PCIe-2 slot (white). It came right on and I had my screen back. I changed my resolutions back to the way I like them and then thought now that it's working I would retry PCIe-1. I moved the old video card back to PCIe-1 and still had a black screen. So I moved the old video card back to PCIe-2 and now that was black screen also! (when it had just worked minutes before) I was now getting really scared and moved the old video card to PCIe-3 (blue) and it came right up and is working at the moment.

I am afraid to unplug the video card from PCIe-3 as it is my last working PCIe slot. I don't know if it's a driver issue? Or perhaps a video card issue? Or even a bad PCIe slot issue?

If it's a driver issue, why would it be working now?
If it's a bad video card, why would it be working now?
If it's a bad PCIe-1 and bad PCIe-2 slot, are they fried or have maybe been disabled somehow?
And if so, what can I do to get them back working?

Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

More about : gpu pcie issues

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 7:22:32 PM

Did you uninstall the 7950GT divers first?
January 9, 2012 7:26:20 PM

yummerzzz said:
Did you uninstall the 7950GT divers first?

Before installing the GTS450... no i did not. I just put in the 450 and did the drivers after. Would that cause the PCIe slot to go bad though?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 1:56:08 PM

I can't see it causing the PCI-E slots not to work but I'd rule out ALL other possibilities before calling for faulty PCI-E.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:04:01 PM

Pretty weird situation.

I'd say uninstall all your Nvidia drivers and even run Driver Sweeper. Make sure you download the newest drivers from Nvidia, not EVGA.

Then shut down and place the new card in slot 1... should boot... then install new drivers.

Also is it black screening right off the bat, or does it show POST and then black screen at Windows loading?
January 10, 2012 2:11:36 PM

wolfram23 said:
Pretty weird situation.

I'd say uninstall all your Nvidia drivers and even run Driver Sweeper. Make sure you download the newest drivers from Nvidia, not EVGA.

Then shut down and place the new card in slot 1... should boot... then install new drivers.

Also is it black screening right off the bat, or does it show POST and then black screen at Windows loading?

Are saying that after clearing out all the drivers and when I put the new card into slot 1 that I should do so while leaving the old card in slot 3? I didn't think you could have two different model video cards plugged in at the same time???

Also, it's black screen right off the bat. I never even get a mobo logo boot screen. The monitor never recognizes that any thing is ever booted up and stays "amber" light from the get go.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:23:26 PM

Well, you can definitely boot with both GPUs but I was thinking you should remove the 7950GT. Might be worth leaving it in but unplugged.

You may also want to try putting a GPU in the first slot and with the PC off, remove the CMOS battery to let the BIOS reset. It's possible that it is thinking a GPU is in a different slot.

Also, have you visually examined the PCIe slots? Make sure there's no debris getting in there. Check the GPU PCIe connections as well.
January 12, 2012 12:07:16 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well, you can definitely boot with both GPUs but I was thinking you should remove the 7950GT. Might be worth leaving it in but unplugged.

You may also want to try putting a GPU in the first slot and with the PC off, remove the CMOS battery to let the BIOS reset. It's possible that it is thinking a GPU is in a different slot.

Also, have you visually examined the PCIe slots? Make sure there's no debris getting in there. Check the GPU PCIe connections as well.

I'll try this over the weekend so I can dedicate some serious time to any troubleshooting. I have to admit, I'm really scared of losing my last working PCIe slot. :??: 
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 12, 2012 2:02:35 PM

Oh, just thought of something, you might have to update your BIOS! Go to your manufacturer's website, find your mobo, and go to the downloads section.

The only other thing I can think of is that the mobo is dying, but honestly that doesn't make sense given the issue.
!