Sniper vs. Sword on Halo 2

KID

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

Recently me and friends got into an argument of how they hate playing
games with swords in them because they feel it is a cheap weapon,
however these are the same people who will camp right outside the
opposing teams spawning point on coagulation and snipe people before it
is even humanly possible for them to get a weapon.

I wonder how people feel about the sword being a cheap weapon vice the
sniper rifle being a cheap weapon.

I agree with you.
"Kid" <Jeremy.Smith@misawa.af.mil> wrote in message
> Recently me and friends got into an argument of how they hate playing
> games with swords in them because they feel it is a cheap weapon,
> however these are the same people who will camp right outside the
> opposing teams spawning point on coagulation and snipe people before it
> is even humanly possible for them to get a weapon.
>
> I wonder how people feel about the sword being a cheap weapon vice the
> sniper rifle being a cheap weapon.

The surest way to determine whether something is imbalanced in a game
(esp. in multiplayer), is the frequency of it's use. Sniping is an
example. There's too much of it, and there's too much of it because
Bungie made it so easy that children barely out of diapers are getting
15 headshots.

As for the sword, the lunge, while neat, is rather ridiculous. He
propels about 12 feet forward when the crosshair goes red on an enemy.
I think it's distance should've been shortened.

aa

aether wrote:
> The surest way to determine whether something is imbalanced in a game
> (esp. in multiplayer), is the frequency of it's use. Sniping is an
> example. There's too much of it, and there's too much of it because
> Bungie made it so easy that children barely out of diapers are getting
> 15 headshots.
>
> As for the sword, the lunge, while neat, is rather ridiculous. He
> propels about 12 feet forward when the crosshair goes red on an enemy.
> I think it's distance should've been shortened.

I think the sniper is definitely a "cheaper" weapon to use than the
sword, but it is completely realistic. The cheapest thing about it is
spawn killing, but the only way to solve that would be 3-5 seconds of
invulnerability after you spawn, which wouldn't work on some boards.
The sword, though highly effective, can be easily defeated by a shotty
or dual-weilding other weapons. Yeah, if someone gets a lock on you
before you fire, you're toasted. But catch a guy with a sword with your
*insert favorite combo here* and you can knock him off pretty easily.
NOTHING in the game is as cheap as the plasma pistol/battle rifle combo.
I can't stress that enough.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kid" wrote in message
> Recently me and friends got into an argument of how they hate playing
> games with swords in them because they feel it is a cheap weapon,
> however these are the same people who will camp right outside the
> opposing teams spawning point on coagulation and snipe people before it
> is even humanly possible for them to get a weapon.
>
> I wonder how people feel about the sword being a cheap weapon vice the
> sniper rifle being a cheap weapon.

I wouldn't mind if snipers were taking completetly out of online play with
multiplayer games -- or at the very least, put a very low hard limit on the
amount of snipers that can play at any given time. Nothing more annoying
than playing an online multiplayer game that just turns into a snipefest.

I get more enjoyment out of being an engineer or even a medic with online
multiplayer games anyway.

Cheers,
-Eric

They could've made sniping more difficult by mimicking breathing. (gun
moves up and down) As it is, it's as stable as if the gun's on some
stabilizing stand -- even if you're standing. Try shooting a rifle
accurately at a moving target 500 yards away -- while standing.