Windows 95 logging into windows 7 ultimate on a network

mamiec

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
We have a gateway computer that runs windows 95 to run our CAM software for our WEDM machines and I need to get it to be able to log into a Windows 7 Ultimate computer to get the drawings through the network. I get the:
You must supply a password to make this connection.
Resource: \\computername\IPC$
Password:

I was getting that same error on a Vista computer and I changed several settings (which I also changed on the Windows 7 computer) and now I can log onto the Vista computer, but I still can't log onto the Windows 7 Ultimate computer.

I have read several threads and tried several things (which is how I got the connection to the Vista by trying those) but nothing seems to work for the Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

mamiec

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Well I tried all that was suggested on the page you sent, only problem is when you try to map the network drive on the Win95 machine, it immediately pops this up after entering the drive letter \\computername\folder

Enter Network Password
Resource: \\computername\Folder
Password:

(in Win95 it does NOT give the option to connect as a different user as suggested on the other forum page you sent me)

No matter what password I put in (I tried all the different users set up on the Win7 Ultimate) it says, invalid password. :cry:

The question I have which maybe a silly one, but it says "ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD" not the "username" password. I tried the password we have set up to access our internet and wireless but no go. :( I have also tried logging on the Win95 computer at boot up with the same username and password as the Win7 computer as suggested on other sites, but that didn't work either.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

While connecting to a Windows 7 network share via Windows 95 isn’t necessarily advisable nor is it fully supported considering Windows 95 has been EOL (End of Life) for quite some time now, there still may be a possible solution to your issue. Please note, there isn’t any official documentation for a procedure of this scenario.

For your convenience, I have found the following Microsoft TechNet forums thread Windows 98 cannot access shares or printers on Windows 7. While the thread does focus on Windows 98 as opposed to Windows 95, I would still advise you attempt the best selected answer by Nicholas Li from Microsoft as the proposed solution may work for your situation.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

mamiec

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Unfortunately, I had already found that article before posting in this forum and did everything that was suggested and it did not work for the Windows 95 computer to see the files on the Windows 7 computer. :(

patch7891

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am currently attempting the same thing.

mamiec

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Not at this time :( .... I am still searching because there has to be a way.

mamiec

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
At this time, the only option is to copy the files from Windows 7 to the Windows 95 computer....
I haven't given up hope that we can find a way to do the reverse. :)