Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sufficent Psu for SLI and i5 2500k

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2012 1:06:20 AM

So I NEED a new PSU, I'm using the crappy PSU that came with my Cyberpower PC (Its a 700 watt extreme gear). I have been running an i5 2500K OC'd at 4.0 GH/z (anymore and the PSU fails) and a Nvidia 560 ti OC'd. I bought another OC'd 560ti and I plugged it in ,booted up and now it will not work when it under heavy usage. So it's the PSU. I was wondering if this PSU will work to power my setup:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+850-Watt+TR2+...

I also have 2 SATA HDD's, and 6 LED case fans, and a soundcard if that's any major factor...

The soundcard is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Tell me what you think, thank you!
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 12:41:57 PM

The TT TR2 RX is definitely not a high-quality PSU and has actually been discontinued by TT: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

A system with two GTX560ti's running in two-way SLI mode requires a 750W PSU with at least 53A on the 12V rails and four PCIe power connectors (a standard 560ti requires 6-pin PCIe connectors, but your OCd GPUs may require a combo of 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors - without their models I don't know). If you're buying in the US, then use a good online retialer like Newegg, Fry's electronics, or NCIX; great prices on their products. The Antec HCG 750 that was suggested is a great option. Instead of the Corsair HX750 I would have recommended the TX750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 after MIR and is a great deal.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 3:39:41 PM

The Corsair GS800 is a decent quality PSU and is sufficient for your build.
June 28, 2012 3:44:54 PM

Okay, I mean. I could use my credit card if I had to but I would rather buy one in the store, its a good buy for $120 and I can have it today
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:27:27 PM

Store Pickup: Not Available
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 7:25:23 PM

Ask the store to get the PSU from a warehouse....if it's available in the online site then a brick and mortar store should be able to get the PSU quickly.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:03:32 AM

Rugger said:
Ask the store to get the PSU from a warehouse....if it's available in the online site then a brick and mortar store should be able to get the PSU quickly.

I asked Bestbuy if they could do this before and they responded "no". I actually went to a few and I got the same answer from all of them. Certain items are available in-store and online, shipped to the store online, or just online. This item and the one I wanted to get before we exclusively online. I ended up going tonight and purchasing the GS800. If I don't like it I have 30-days to return it. Probably just for a store credit but its better than nothing.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 11:49:46 AM

nityking1 said:
I asked Bestbuy if they could do this before and they responded "no". I actually went to a few and I got the same answer from all of them. Certain items are available in-store and online, shipped to the store online, or just online. This item and the one I wanted to get before we exclusively online. I ended up going tonight and purchasing the GS800. If I don't like it I have 30-days to return it. Probably just for a store credit but its better than nothing.

That's a rather shoddy policy..I would think it and their high pricing is driving away customers. Good luck with the GS800 - I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
m
l
June 29, 2012 9:08:38 PM

Rugger said:
That's a rather shoddy policy..I would think it and their high pricing is driving away customers. Good luck with the GS800 - I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Yeah, I'm not to find of them but when I need something without my card and I dont want to wait for shipping the few extra bucks isn't a big deal. Personally I would rather buy it from Newegg but Bestbuy is good with their return policy and stuff like that.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 30, 2012 2:37:06 AM

If you have a Paypal account you could transfer cash into it and us that to purchase at Newegg...you still have to wait for shipping, but their shipping is great.
m
l
July 1, 2012 7:22:43 PM

Just so everyone knows... I purchased the GS800 at BestBuy. I installed it into my PC today and ran Furmark burn in tests with my SLI setup (2x GTX 560ti). Everything worked out great. I got temps of 81-83 Celcius on full load but that's another project for me! Anyway the GS800 seems to work fine. I was also able to keep my OC's on my CPU without any problems.
m
l
July 1, 2012 7:23:01 PM

Best answer selected by nityking1.
m
l
!