Solved

Sufficent Psu for SLI and i5 2500k

So I NEED a new PSU, I'm using the crappy PSU that came with my Cyberpower PC (Its a 700 watt extreme gear). I have been running an i5 2500K OC'd at 4.0 GH/z (anymore and the PSU fails) and a Nvidia 560 ti OC'd. I bought another OC'd 560ti and I plugged it in ,booted up and now it will not work when it under heavy usage. So it's the PSU. I was wondering if this PSU will work to power my setup:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+850-Watt+TR2+RX+Power+Supply+-+Black/8990559.p?skuId=8990559&id=1218007088315

I also have 2 SATA HDD's, and 6 LED case fans, and a soundcard if that's any major factor...

The soundcard is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019


Tell me what you think, thank you!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sufficent 2500k
  1. The TT TR2 RX is definitely not a high-quality PSU and has actually been discontinued by TT: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

    A system with two GTX560ti's running in two-way SLI mode requires a 750W PSU with at least 53A on the 12V rails and four PCIe power connectors (a standard 560ti requires 6-pin PCIe connectors, but your OCd GPUs may require a combo of 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors - without their models I don't know). If you're buying in the US, then use a good online retialer like Newegg, Fry's electronics, or NCIX; great prices on their products. The Antec HCG 750 that was suggested is a great option. Instead of the Corsair HX750 I would have recommended the TX750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=tx750 $89.99 after MIR and is a great deal.
  2. What about this one? I'm looking to go to an actual store and buy one. I don't want to use my credit card? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Gaming+Series+800-Watt+ATX+Power+Supply/5297716.p?id=1218631401192&skuId=5297716&st=power%20suply&cp=1&lp=5
  3. Best answer
    The Corsair GS800 is a decent quality PSU and is sufficient for your build.
  4. Okay, I mean. I could use my credit card if I had to but I would rather buy one in the store, its a good buy for $120 and I can have it today
  5. Store Pickup: Not Available
  6. Ask the store to get the PSU from a warehouse....if it's available in the online site then a brick and mortar store should be able to get the PSU quickly.
  7. Rugger said:
    Ask the store to get the PSU from a warehouse....if it's available in the online site then a brick and mortar store should be able to get the PSU quickly.


    I asked Bestbuy if they could do this before and they responded "no". I actually went to a few and I got the same answer from all of them. Certain items are available in-store and online, shipped to the store online, or just online. This item and the one I wanted to get before we exclusively online. I ended up going tonight and purchasing the GS800. If I don't like it I have 30-days to return it. Probably just for a store credit but its better than nothing.
  8. as Rugger said,a power supply with 53 amps on +12v rail(s) is required,a TX650 will easily run a system with 560ti SLi.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    for $70,it's a great deal.
  9. nityking1 said:
    I asked Bestbuy if they could do this before and they responded "no". I actually went to a few and I got the same answer from all of them. Certain items are available in-store and online, shipped to the store online, or just online. This item and the one I wanted to get before we exclusively online. I ended up going tonight and purchasing the GS800. If I don't like it I have 30-days to return it. Probably just for a store credit but its better than nothing.

    That's a rather shoddy policy..I would think it and their high pricing is driving away customers. Good luck with the GS800 - I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
  10. Rugger said:
    That's a rather shoddy policy..I would think it and their high pricing is driving away customers. Good luck with the GS800 - I think you'll be happy with your purchase.


    Yeah, I'm not to find of them but when I need something without my card and I dont want to wait for shipping the few extra bucks isn't a big deal. Personally I would rather buy it from Newegg but Bestbuy is good with their return policy and stuff like that.
  11. If you have a Paypal account you could transfer cash into it and us that to purchase at Newegg...you still have to wait for shipping, but their shipping is great.
  12. Just so everyone knows... I purchased the GS800 at BestBuy. I installed it into my PC today and ran Furmark burn in tests with my SLI setup (2x GTX 560ti). Everything worked out great. I got temps of 81-83 Celcius on full load but that's another project for me! Anyway the GS800 seems to work fine. I was also able to keep my OC's on my CPU without any problems.
  13. Best answer selected by nityking1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i5 Sound Cards Components Product