8 Pin CPU power connector?

1stbuilderr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi all,

Quick dumb question. I have this mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186205) and was planning on getting this power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170015) for a build I'm putting together for my dad. I noticed that the mobo has a plug for the "8 pin CPU power connector", but when I look at the specs of the power supply, I don't see anything that corresponds with that (just that it is ATX, which is what I need). Will the power supply work with the motherboard, or do I need to find one that has a cable for the 8 pin CPU power adapter?

First build, sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks!

aRodr1guez

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm curious to know your budget for this build and the rest of the components you have in mind. It looks like your going cheap and theirs nothing wrong with that but maybe we can recommend better parts for the amount your willing to spend.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
You might as well just light a 20 dollar bill on fire as buy that Power Supply. Trust me i went cheap on PSU before.. Then when it went out i bought the only one Radio Shack had here in this small town. And 3 months later when it went bad i bought another one.

So 1.5 years later and about 120 dollars poorer i wised up and bought a Antec 550 with literally the best rating on newegg and it has been serving me for over a year faithfully.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $49.99

$5 more for 500 watts, (it doesn't come with a cord to go to the the wall socket, Most people have one or two laying around)

I should note that EPS12V is the standard for a 8 pin power connector. EPS12V was standard for Servers and is creeping into the Normal CPU Market.

Just i (we) beg of you don't cheep out on a PSU. You might not get as lucky as i did. Your PSU might catch fire or short out your whole build

I 2nd this, I have that exact same model for about 1 and a half years now and its performed flawlessly, Sure its a bit more pricey but I had a enermax psu combust at 12 at night requiring me to jump out of bed and extinguish it (luckily I was still awake or the whole house mighta burned)

Oh and just for a general notice about the psu you were going to buy it can only pump out 144w total at MAX load (IE going over or anywhere near that is not a good idea as the psu over works, gets hot and can lead to failure)

Voltage x Amps = Watts, going off the 12v rail (which is 90% of what your comp is powered from) 12v x 12a = 144w

So, if you say put a 120w cpu in there it wont have enough power (assuming some case fans and a HDD + dvd burner)

cpu 120w 3 fans lets assume 5-10 watts, a hdd 10w, dvd drive 5w without anything else, no video card, etc and not taking in the extra power to run the mobo + pcie lanes and onboard gfx (pcie lanes can take as much as 50-70w if theres a video card in there)

With that set up you would be at 140-145w which the psu would likely just crap out.

Edit: not to mention it doesn't have Active PFC (which has been the standard since like 2008 if not before) so its an older inefficient model.

TRENDING THREADS