• Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 3:17:34 AM

Hiya,

My current build utilizes a Sentey Halcon.. I'm fed up with this case, its cheap feeling, the fan connectors rip the pins right out of the molex connectors every time you disconnect them and the power button never worked (I wired it up to use the reset button)... The motherboard barely fits, the wire management is horrid, and I had to remove the side panel fan because the case wouldn't close with my Coolermaster Hyper N520.

I'm looking for a case preferably under 150 dollars. I want good quality construction. Any suggestions would be awesome.

More about : opinion good quality case

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 3:39:26 AM

I use the Cooler Master Storm Sniper. It's glorious. Loads of space for any hardware you can think of, bowed out side panels for cable management space, tool-less drive insertion, fan controller, LED switch, lots of room for fans and even water-cooling holes. I don't see myself ever getting rid of this case. Right now, I have i7 920 + H50 on an Asus Sabertooth X58 board and GTX 580, 3 hard drives, two disc drives. Get it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$120

EDIT: Also, I had the Cooler Master V8 before I had the H50 and it fit fine in the case without any interference from the side panel. At the time, I had a 120 on the side. Not sure if it would fit with a 200 mm on the side panel of the case, but I think so. Didn't try.
Related resources
March 14, 2012 5:48:37 AM

storm trooper, nzxt phantom, raven rv03, or just go on newegg ( and since you set your budget) and look for ones in that range and even let it go a little over your budget (160-190 etc.) and go on pcpartspicker.com and try to find that case on there. if you dont know what pcpartspicker it gives you the cheapest options for your parts and i was astounded considering some silverstone cases go from the new egg price drop a good 30-60$ down. such as the rv01 (259.99) on newegg.. go on pcpartspicker and its 200.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:20:38 AM

Thank you both for answering me. I spoke with the significant other, watched some review videos. It looks like I'm going to go with the NZXT Phantom Black. It looks like it has a nice deep space behind the mobo for cable management (my biggest gripe about the Sentey Halcon)

I've learned a good lesson, Bling is not always a good thing, what first drew me to the Sentey Halcon was the lighting. Aesthetically speaking, it looks really nice. I must admit, however, the build quality is not impressive in the least. I had already decided I wouldn't use this in future builds from day one, only reason I didn't send it back to newegg was because it would cost more to ship it back than it was worth.

Anyway, thanks again.
m
l
March 16, 2012 11:36:03 PM

Got my build installed in the NZXT Phantom today. Absolutely beautiful case, plenty of room, good quality material. Exactly what I was looking for!

My only gripe about it is the hard drive tray design, maybe I'm just not sure on how to use it, but to me it seems like those rubber grommet pin things are on the south side of stupid. They don't secure my drive properly, I'm going to have to modify it somehow I think. I guess nothing can be 100 percent perfect, overall I'm delighted.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2012 12:22:25 AM

Glad to hear you're mostly happy with the case. Feels good when threads end this way.
m
l
March 27, 2012 12:13:54 AM

Best answer selected by nekulturny.
m
l
!