Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HP A6230n Graphics Card Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2012 9:10:18 PM

For my old HP A6230n with the integrated Nvidia 6150n card(yuck) I installed a new power supply...Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt. (more than I presently need) Was on sale for the same price as the 520 so I took it. When I finaly buy a total new system I can transfer it to the new machine...But for now.... I want to plug in a Nvidia GTS450. It takes a 2.0 PCI Express and mine is just the old PCI 16 Express version so I wont get full performance out of it. My question though is...Will it physically fit in my tower? I know I can go home and check dimensions and I will probably HAVE to do that. Was planning on getting the card on the way home though :-)~
I thought I would be lazy and ask if anyone has already tried it.

I've been reading a bit and will eventualy build a new rig via NEWEGG or something like that. Sounds like fun and I get what I want...That's later though....

More about : a6230n graphics card upgrade

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:16:12 PM

RockHaven1 said:
For my old HP A6230n with the integrated Nvidia 6150n card(yuck) I installed a new power supply...Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt. (more than I presently need) Was on sale for the same price as the 520 so I took it. When I finaly buy a total new system I can transfer it to the new machine...But for now.... I want to plug in a Nvidia GTS450. It takes a 2.0 PCI Express and mine is just the old PCI 16 Express version so I wont get full performance out of it. My question though is...Will it physically fit in my tower? I know I can go home and check dimensions and I will probably HAVE to do that. Was planning on getting the card on the way home though :-)~
I thought I would be lazy and ask if anyone has already tried it.

I've been reading a bit and will eventualy build a new rig via NEWEGG or something like that. Sounds like fun and I get what I want...That's later though....

Nvidia cards are small. They should fit. Also, I'd much rather go with a radeon hd 6770 or a 6790 and they will both offer better, cleaner performance.
Score
January 9, 2012 9:18:47 PM

I didn't price those....As I recall they did perform better. I'll take a look at hose too then.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:21:19 PM

They should be the same price or so with the 6790 being like $10 more expensive but it's $10 well spent.
January 9, 2012 10:04:14 PM

Checked compatability and pricing.....all 3 are compatable and all 3 have similar pricing depending on where you get it. The 6790 uses substantialy more power but I have that covered with the new power supply. If I can find one for a good deal I'll get a 6790. Physical dimensions are similar for all 3...I'll check when I get home to see what I have available space wise.....The radeon 6790 smokes the Nvidia gts450 for a similar price. Thanks!!!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 10:06:36 PM

go for a 6870, same power usage as 6790 (actually the 6790 is made from faulty 6870 chips if I remember correctly) and gives great performance. IMO the 6870 is the best card for the price right now.
Score
January 9, 2012 10:06:51 PM

Best answer selected by rockhaven1.
Score
!