Sign in with
Your question

Help connecting Linksys E1000 to AT&T 2 Wire Router?!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 14, 2011 5:38:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm having problems trying to connect a Linksys E1000 wireless n router to my AT&T DSL 2Wire modem/router/wireless.

My current setup is with the wireless deactivated on the 2wire and I have an Verizon Westell 7501 attached which I use for wireless B.

In anticipation of an Ipad purchase, and since my current wireless setup is really weak in one room, I purchased a refurbed Cisco Linksys E1000 wireless n. I have tried to use the setup dvd that came with the E1000, but it doesn't work. I can get into my 2wire modem/router and it just doesn't see the E1000 which I have attached with an ethernet cable.

Can you help me? I'm so frustrated and not very adept at this. I reattached everything since my wife's Mac and daughter's Ipod need a wireless connection. In addition, I have a Blu Ray player setup on this network for Netflix on demand.

TIA for your help!

Pete
a c 79 F Wireless
June 14, 2011 3:58:42 PM

So go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

now take the E1000 and connect a computer to one of the LAN ports (nothing else should be connected to it) to configure it as a AP (Access Point).

setup your wireless security and save it.

then disable DHCP, change the LAN IP to match the Gateway from above but ending in 253, and save the settings.

finally connect the one of the four LAN ports of the E1000 to your main router.
m
l
June 14, 2011 5:00:05 PM

Emerald,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for replying! I figured it was something like that...At work, but will try this tonight!

I have Win 7, but I assume that'll work also?

I can easily get into my modem/router via 192.168.1.254

I have hooked up the "old" Wireless b router and gone into it as well via (if I remember correctly) 192.168.1.1

Conceivably, I was thinking I could copy all settings from the old wireless b to the new wireless n...

Sorry, I'm not very good with this networking stuff...
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2011 5:51:49 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your directions worked like a CHARM and I'm typing this via my new wireless n access point! Much appreciate!!!!

Pete
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:04:45 AM

Emerald said:
So go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

now take the E1000 and connect a computer to one of the LAN ports (nothing else should be connected to it) to configure it as a AP (Access Point).

setup your wireless security and save it.

then disable DHCP, change the LAN IP to match the Gateway from above but ending in 253, and save the settings.

finally connect the one of the four LAN ports of the E1000 to your main router.

Emerald,

The E1000 wasn't penetrating some areas of my house so I bought a Netgear WNDR3700. I set up the IP address like the E1000, but there's a DNS setup section on the Netgear that in do not understand. Can you help me?

m
l
a c 79 F Wireless
June 23, 2011 8:28:15 AM

are you using the setup CD?

m
l
June 23, 2011 1:58:54 PM

Hi Emerakd,

I tried to use the setup CD, but I couldn't get it to work. I have a 2wire DSL modem thru AT&T. It has wireless built-in which I have turned off. For the setup CD, I wasn't sure what to select.

I got the Netgear to broadcast and I was able to login to it's wireless, but no internet. In manually setting it up, it asks for DNS servers which I don't know. I tried to select the "get automatically from ISP" but it would lock up when selecting that.

Thank you so much for your help!

Pete
m
l
a c 79 F Wireless
June 23, 2011 2:30:19 PM

the area that is asking for the DNS are the WAN settings which you do not need to change.

you only need to change the LAN settings further down the page.

set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.253, disable DHCP, and save the settings.

now connect the Netgear to the Linksys by connecting one of the four LAN ports to the Linksys (do NOT use the WAN/Internet port)

m
l
June 23, 2011 2:53:56 PM

Hi Emerald,

I will try to do this tonight.

If I remember correctly, it would not let me save settings without putting in DNS info...leaving it at default would lock it up because it would try to retrieve the DNS info but had no net connectivity...

Most grateful,
Pete
m
l
a c 79 F Wireless
June 23, 2011 3:23:06 PM

if that is the case, you could set the WAN IP to 192.168.0.254, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway and DNS 192.168.0.1

LAN IP should be 192.168.1.253 and since you are disabling the DHCP the Gateway and DNS settings will not effect anything.

the WAN IP scheme needs to be different from that of the LAN IP one.
m
l
!