Gaming Desktop Starcraft 2

StratWaffle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: By next month

Budget Range: 400-450$ However I hope to get lower by buying used components, preferably 300-350$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web surfing

Parts Not Required: Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, however I am open to anything

Parts Preferences: No Preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Not sure, best bang for my buck

Additional Comments: I will want to use low detail settings definitely. I really will mostly be using it to play Starcraft 2, I am not interested in playing any other game on the PC. Noise does not matter to me. I have never built a PC before but I am up for the challenge. Since I am in college my tools available are not large. I would also be very interested in prebuilt ideas. Thanks a lot for all the help. :)

StratWaffle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
The reason I have nothing to use is that my current compute is still in use back home so I cannot take parts from that. However, I did somewhat recently upgrade the memory and video card on that. Therefore, I could take the new card from that system and replace it with the old card. I don't know if the memory would be applicable. My computer at home is a Dell Dimension 8400.

The memory upgrade was from 1 gb to 2 gb. As for the video card, I would have to call home and find out what type of card I installed, I forget.

StratWaffle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Yaah, since building a computer for such a low cost is not possible, I am considering buying a used Dell Dimension 8400, which is my home computer at the moment. There is one on ebay with these specs,

ntel Pentium 4 3.2ghz HT

2g Memory DDR2

80g SATA Hard Drive

Windows XP OEM freshly install. (No retore disc)

DVD Burner.

I hope that I can pick this up for around 120 dollars including shipping of 30 dollars.

My question is will most keyboards and monitors work with this? Any suggestions on those components with a budget of 150$ for a monitor and keyboard? I may just have to get those items used too.
I also now from experience it play Starcraft 2 very well.

Is this the best use of my money for the best performance though?

Thanks for the info aRodr1guez.

I also see two other options for me.
2.Core 2 Quad Gaming Desktop
Recently built and tested – Linux Open Suse installed & patched

· NZXT Tempest 410 w/ 4 fans
· XFX 550w PSU
· Abit IB9 motherboard
· Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
· Core 2 Quad Q6600
· Corsair 4x1GB XMS2 DDR2 800
· EVGA 9800GTX 512MB
· Lite-On SATA DVDRW
· Seagate 400GB SATA 3.5” HDD 7200rpm

Including all manuals, drivers disks, and hardware for case, motherboard, cpu cooler that I have from the assembly process. Also includes a power cord for the power supply.

Bid starting at 60 dollars.

or
3. Dell Dimention 8400 PC:

Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT (Hyperthreading)

Memory: 3GB 533MHz

Hard Drive: 160GB Sata

Optical Drives: 2 Sata DVD/CD Burners/Players (With Installed Nero 8 Burning Software)

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3

17" Dell Flat Panel Monitor

Video Card: ATI Radeon X300 with VGA & DVI out.

Onboard Sound & Fast Internet via Ethernet

8 USB 2.0 ports

Dell Keyboard & Mouse

this includes a monitor and mouse so it is a good option in comparison to the others.

StratWaffle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
After looking more at e-bay, it looks like the best option is DELL GX620 PENTIUM D DESKTOP 3.20GHz 4.00GB RAM 160GB DVD/RW XP-PRO.

*PENTIUM D @ 3.20GHz PROCESSOR

*4.00GB OF DDR2 MEMORY

*160GB SATA HARD DRIVE

*DVD/RW

*INSTALLED WINDOWS XP-PRO WITH COA ATTACHED

Furthermore, I have a spare graphics card that I can put into this computer.

StratWaffle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Well the thing about that one is that is 489 dollars when shipping is included.
The DELL GX620 PENTIUM D DESKTOP 3.20GHz 4.00GB RAM 160GB DVD/RW XP-PRO
is 140 dollars including shipping. If I can make the GX620 work for half the price then that would be awesome.

I just need to know if I can get one of my two graphics cards at home working on the GX620.

I'm just having trouble finding people who have gotten games to work on it.

I really have no trouble with buying a new computer later on. I won't need to buy a new one after this one until Starcraft 3 comes out. So I am not really going for longevity.