Good computer running slowly for no apparent reason

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hi there,
15 months ago I built my first computer. Now it is running mighty slow. I have defragged my HDD's, stopped many startup programs and limited my services.
Why is it slow? I'll give you all the information I can and thanks for he help.

COMPUTER SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz (8 logical processes)

RAM: 6 GB DDR3

Motherboard: Asus P6T

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (HIS)

PSU: 720W Gigabyte

Case: Thermaltake M9D gaming case

HDD C: 283GB free of 931GB
HDD N: 503 GB free of 931GB

START UP TIME
'til black screen with windows icon --> 30 seconds
'til I see the control bar --> 1:54
'til can get to a webpage -->2:57

SERVICES
after startup 68 processes

So is my problem with my HDD's possibly bad speed? It should be possible for me to scrape together enough for an SSD which I can re-install the OS on.
Will this solve my problem? Is it necessary? Thanks for your help!

americanbrian

Distinguished
will make boot up much faster..yes

You are still running too many processes on startup. should be low 50's yopu are high 60's

Do you REALLY need skype to start up EVERY time. Adobe updater? Java Updater? office quicklauncher? (does it even make launching office quicker?)

go to msconfig and remove everything from startup except your antivirus. Hey presto a fast machine again.

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the speedy reply and great advice. I now only have my antivirus as a start up program but I still have 55 processes. I I think a lot of them are crap, like 'PnkBstrA.exe*32' and maybe 'AppleMobileDeviceService.exe*32'. My understanding is that end process will not fix the start up problem. and shouldn't they be 64? How do I stop them? How can I give you a list of them so I don't delete something important? Thanks again!

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the idea but I have already used CC cleaner's registry cleaner and have these issues. I might try another one but I don't thin it will work. Thanks anyway

bfalcon

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
No solution from you guys. If anyone reads this, I'm going to try re-installing windows onto an SSD which is going to fix the problem. If anyone else has this issue but doesn't want to do that maybe reinstall OS onto any drive. If anybody knows a better solution please post.