Sign in with
Your question

Yet another dvi-vga converter problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2012 12:40:09 AM

I recently purchased an xfx 9600 GSO video card on sale thinking it was a cheap and easy way to supplement my aging budget rig using my CRT monitor with only a VGA input. My old XFX 8600 GT worked fine with this set up, although it had dual dvi output. When I received the new card it would not output any signal through the adapter, instead the monitor displayed the classic blinking power light. Fed up with the problems I had with my rig, and thinking it was due to a low power PSU, I picked up a new mobo, processor, PSU, and RAM. The exact specifications are as follows:

AMD Phenom™ II X4 970 Black Edition Processor
Biostar A780L3G AM3 760G mATX Motherboard
4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)
Inland Gold Series ILG-600 600 Watt ATX Power Supply

However I am experiencing the same issue as before, blinking power light on my monitor. As the card worked through the HDMI output to my TV, I assumed the problem was with the adapter. I purchased a new one and the issue still occurs. My next thought was that the dvi output on the card was broken, however the same issue occurs with the onboard DVI output on the motherboard. I have read through all of the dvi-vga threads on here and have pulled pin 12 from my monitor's d-sub but still no luck. Any ideas Tom's Hardware? I am at a literal standstill. The card was too cheap to pass by and I do not want to have to return it for a more expensive card or buy a new monitor.
January 10, 2012 2:18:23 AM

The output on the card is a dvi-i and i have tried with both a dvi-i to vga as well as a dvi-a to vga adapter.
Related resources
a c 204 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:49:45 AM

Where did you get the adapters you are using? Was one of them bundled with the GPU (xfx 9600 GSO)? Also, did you connect the PCIe (6-pin) power connector from the PSU to the GPU?
January 10, 2012 11:01:21 AM

I got both adapters from BestBuy. They are both made by Dynex. The dvi-i to vga worked with my previous XFX card (8600 GT), the dvi-a to vga has not worked yet. Neither adapter works with my card nor my onboard dvi. There is no power connector on my GPU. Here are pictures of the card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.a...
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 11:21:58 AM

Check the monitor cable to make sure you did not inadvertently break or bent 1 or more of the pins while you were changing things around? You are not trying to run a resolution higher than the CRT is capable of running? I am guessing this is likely not the case, as most CRT's are capable of higher resolutions that a TV. If you did inadvertently supply a resolution higher than the monitor is capable of, you can fry it instantly.
a c 204 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 11:56:44 AM

Nalvarado said:
I got both adapters from BestBuy. They are both made by Dynex. The dvi-i to vga worked with my previous XFX card (8600 GT), the dvi-a to vga has not worked yet. Neither adapter works with my card nor my onboard dvi. There is no power connector on my GPU. Here are pictures of the card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.a...

Understood on the lack of a power connection on the GPU. Other 9600 GSOs do have the connector.

Do you have another VGA cable that you could swap on the monitor?
January 10, 2012 2:34:47 PM

The monitor works fine through onboard VGA, but I am running in 1600x1200 resolution. Perhaps the card does not support that high without the drivers installed? However the drivers are installed for the onboard graphics and it does not function 16x12 through the DVI output. I have tried another monitor entirely and the issue still occurs. Would it be a bios option? If so, would you know what terminology it would be under?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:40:35 PM

What do you mean the card doesn't support that high without drivers?
Did you uninstall all the old video drivers before you installed the new card? If you are using onboard video, did you then go into the BIOS and make sure the PCIe slot is set as the first thing the BIOS looks to for video? Then install and hook up the new card after you did all of that?
January 10, 2012 2:45:08 PM

jitpublisher said:
What do you mean the card doesn't support that high without drivers?
Did you uninstall all the old video drivers before you installed the new card? If you are using onboard video, did you then go into the BIOS and make sure the PCIe slot is set as the first thing the BIOS looks to for video? Then install and hook up the new card after you did all of that?

I meant perhaps without the drivers installed in the 9600GSO perhaps VGA is unable to support 1600x1200. I have set my bios to look for PCIE first but still no luck. This still does not explain why the onboard dvi output does not work through the adapter yet the onboard vga output works fine. It seems to be a problem with the digital to analog conversion happening within the adapter. It is a strange problem as the same adapter and same monitor worked on my 8600GT.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:54:29 PM

Nalvarado said:
I meant perhaps without the drivers installed in the 9600GSO perhaps VGA is unable to support 1600x1200. I have set my bios to look for PCIE first but still no luck. This still does not explain why the onboard dvi output does not work through the adapter yet the onboard vga output works fine. It seems to be a problem with the digital to analog conversion happening within the adapter. It is a strange problem as the same adapter and same monitor worked on my 8600GT.

And you say the new card does display on your HD TV?
January 10, 2012 5:13:08 PM

Yes. I installed the drivers off the disk via hdmi output and the card functions fine. I have uninstalled all drivers thinking the latest drivers would work, but no luck.
a c 204 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:00:16 AM

This sounds like either a defective VGA cable issue or an issue with the DVI-VGA adapter.
January 11, 2012 12:29:27 AM

What's strange is i have tried the setup with 3 different CRT VGA monitors. I have sent a ticket into XFX to see if they will have a suggestion that will lead me in the right direction.
a c 204 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 12:55:03 AM

That points to the adapter you are using. That would also explain why it wouldn't work with your on-board video as well (you did try with the 9600 GSO removed, right?).
January 11, 2012 11:09:32 AM

Yes, but I have tried two separate adapters. And yes I am running off onboard VGA output right now.
January 12, 2012 1:19:09 AM

Contacted the manufacturer. Apparently they misprinted the info on the box and it only supports a digital signal. Thanks for the effort guys!
!