Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 won't install!

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2012 3:15:51 PM

Hello, I recently thew together a server with an i7 860, 5450(no onboard video) and an Asus p55 motherboard, and a WD Blue 160GB. For some reason when I attempt to install Windows it hangs at the loading screen right after it says "windows is loading files". I have tried multiple HDDs with no results, and I have attempted to install different OSs with the same results of hanging right after initiating the OS installation. PLEASE HELP!

More about : windows install

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 3:32:44 PM

How long is it hanging for? Are you sure its hanging? I find that during windows install, it gives you very little in the way of feedback about what its doing. How long are you waiting before assuming its not taking?
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:34:03 PM

Hmmm, you bring a good point... It is at the point where the windows logo glows and expands... Maybe it is just slow. I waited 5 min max.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 3:35:23 PM

Wait longer lol.. Try an hour or two.. No I'm not joking.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:36:33 PM

OH god?! Really an hour?
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:37:22 PM

Yes. LOL.. even with my overclock its still a good time to go outside and chainsmoke a few.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:54:55 PM

Chaz21 said:
If you are using windows 7 and you have a usb flash drive you might be able to speed things up. Here are a couple of guides (there are plenty others):
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_install_win...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710663
On my new build it took like 10 minutes - literally! Good luck. :) 

I must have a cheap USB thumbdrive then.. Well,, actually I do. 6 bucks from MicroCenter checkout lane lol. Cus thats what I used to load Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit on 2 different systems) and I wish I could do it in 10 minutes!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 4:05:08 PM

nekulturny said:
I must have a cheap USB thumbdrive then.. Well,, actually I do. 6 bucks from MicroCenter checkout lane lol. Cus thats what I used to load Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit on 2 different systems) and I wish I could do it in 10 minutes!

Well my setup is a bit - lets say "different" from what's in your sig. Another flavor if you will. :D  But I used the same cheapo stick from my local micro center also. My install was to an ssd. Couldn't believe it myself. :) 
m
l
!