Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Storm Trooper, or HAF-X?

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2012 3:06:25 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me decide between the Storm Trooper and the HAF-X. I don't have any plans to water-cool or closed-loop in the future, but do plan on SLI-ing the graphics cards. Is one quieter than the other (I plan to upgrade to CM Megaflow fans)? Will one fit an Asus Sabertooth, GTX 670 FTW, and a CM 212 EVO better than the other? Is one more dust-free than the other? I appreciate your time, guys!

More about : storm trooper haf

a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 3:16:53 PM

The Trooper is more sexy than the HAF X, and have better options.
the Trooper has a built in fan controller to adjust the fan speed.
EDIT: These are some of the unique features the trooper has, reported by one member here have it;
Quote:
Some Advantages of the Storm Trooper:
1. Intelligent cable management with space behind mobo, no sharp edges, etc.
2. The HDD cages can be turned 90 deg to max airflow...There are two cages that hold 4HDDs each with their own fans; they can be turned 90 deg to blow heat out of the side of the case when loaded so hot air does not blow onto the mobo. But if they are empty, you can turn them to blow cool ambient air into the case...excellent feature.
3. the case is made of high quality materials. The side panels are not flimsy; they can be removed easily.
4. there is a badass handle on the top of the case that makes moving this full tower easy...I will never buy a case without a handle again. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to grab a 50 lb case with one hand rather than getting on my knees to get leverage and searching for a grip...the handle rocks
5. The storm has removable FILTERS on the bottom and top that are easy to clean. nice feature.
6. Big fans. Lots of air flow.
7. Intelligent connections on front of case
8. All the HDD cages and fans can be removed to install something like 4-6 radiators if you are into water cooling. This is an awesome feature for overclockers and modders...There is lots of room inside. This is a nice option.
9. supports 14HDD

Note: there is space to add two more fans on the side panel, but they are not included.
m
l
June 28, 2012 3:45:41 PM

Is the Trooper considered "newer" than the HAF X?
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 4:16:23 PM

The CM 932 is out of the question? haha

Got one and love it :p 

Cheers!
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:27:32 PM

Well, the 932 is out of the question only because I've narrowed my decisions down to the HAF X or Trooper. I'm afraid if I consider anything else at this point, it's going to draw out when I start putting my computer together even longer, lol.
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:12:52 PM

Ah, ok. Sounds fair enough.

Cooling wise, the HAF-X seems better (less plastic all around, bigger air intakes), but has an open "roof".

If you're going to put the case at floor level and drink something close to it... Well... You know the risk; the Trooper could be a better choice then. Otherwise, I'd say both are fine choices and you'll be happy with either one IMO.

Cheers!
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:28:22 PM

The open roof doesn't necessarily concern me. I was fully aware of it, and had a place sort of tucked into a corner for it to go, for the purpose of avoiding anything getting into it. I don't think transportation will be much of an issue between the two, either - one comes with wheels, one with a handle. Since I know I will not liquid cool in the future, and they bother are pretty on par with air cooling, I suppose it probably comes down to with one looks "cooler" to me..?
m
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 8:42:37 PM

Neither. Look at Rosewill, Antec, or Lian Li.
This is NOT a commentary on the quality of CM's cases; CM is a dishonest company and therefore does not deserve anyone's business, for any of their products, regardless of quality.
This was discovered in competent technical reviews of unrelated products (in this case, many of their PSUs). Many companies exaggerate, or offer best-case scenarios that are unrealistic at best, but claiming protection circuits that are in fact missing is an outright lie. Here are some sample links:
LL=Liar Label, MC=Missing Circuits

1. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] ew/1550/11
2. MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] iew/1184/9
3. LL AND MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] iew/1005/9
4. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] iew/1034/9
5. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/art [...] view/969/9

...I think that's enough. These aren't dings for poor quality, but for dishonesty. Many others get dinged for quality; my favorite is probably the remark in HardOCP's review of the GX-650 calling it a "polished turd in a box."
So anyway, there you have it; a company which should not be supported, regardless of the quality of its other products. And get this, it gets worse. Having been called on it, they're going to pull them from the North American market and foist them off elsewhere. This per Gabriel Torres: "I had a meeting with them during Computex and, according to them, they are removing all power supplies with fake wattage from the North American market (and dumping them somewhere else)."
Fortunately, competitors (Rosewill in particular) offer similar products at the same price points, so you will not take a hit in the wallet for being unwilling to support a dishonest business.
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:48:27 PM

In all my research, I haven't seen much about this, or people writing reviews about it, or anything.
m
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 8:50:33 PM

That's why I include links. HardwareSecrets is a well-respected site. A rational person does not support dishonesty (and a lack of consequences for dishonesty allows it to flourish), so I have become quite outspoken against this company.
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:03:43 PM

I've heard their power supplies tend to not live as long as they claim, but when it comes to just the case, I've rarely heard anything bad with them, and it seems like those reports were isolated incidents. They are going to eventually stop supplying cases to the US?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 9:19:53 PM

Its more or less their business model. They are looking for cheap little trinkets in order to siphon money out of users, their psus are feeding off the usefulness of other products like their cases and cpu coolers, which is sorta like a dirty trick in a way. I have nothing against their cases per se, but as long as people tend to stick to certain brands only(i.e it pains me when people say to only use psus from seasonic, corsair and antec and disregard everything else), coolermaster will use that business model to sell out junk every once in awhile.
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:31:29 PM

The case has no bearing on how my components will function though, right? Aside from cooling, which I am sure regardless of their PSUs or other components, CM HAF is top-notch for cooling. I guess I feel a bit disheartened to hear that after I have done so much research and narrowed it down to these two cases.
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:33:21 PM

Onus said:
That's why I include links. HardwareSecrets is a well-respected site. A rational person does not support dishonesty (and a lack of consequences for dishonesty allows it to flourish), so I have become quite outspoken against this company.
I will quote another member who said this to you and i agree.your post looks like a total troll post to me . only one link you provided really came off as mis advertising , the rest all looked like just poor management on the manufacture's web site , or poor build quality in the units. but truthfully any pc gamer out there already knows not to mess with any PSU's outside of PC power and cooling, Seasonic , and Corsair allot of (which uses Seasonic parts). that aside a lot of the mislabeling seemed no worse than what Nvidia does with rebranding GPU's. surely not to reason to dis Cm's cases and cpu heat sinks (which are some of the best in the field). for you to go to such a great lengthy writing out that huge ass post , i get the feeling you've gotten burned by a CM PSU before. seriously dude .. get over it and move on. piss poor web site management and re branding doesn't always equal miss advertising.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 9:45:26 PM

regina_49 said:
I will quote another member who said this to you and i agree.your post looks like a total troll post to me . only one link you provided really came off as mis advertising , the rest all looked like just poor management on the manufacture's web site , or poor build quality in the units. but truthfully any pc gamer out there already knows not to mess with any PSU's outside of PC power and cooling, Seasonic , and Corsair allot of (which uses Seasonic parts). that aside a lot of the mislabeling seemed no worse than what Nvidia does with rebranding GPU's. surely not to reason to dis Cm's cases and cpu heat sinks (which are some of the best in the field). for you to go to such a great lengthy writing out that huge ass post , i get the feeling you've gotten burned by a CM PSU before. seriously dude .. get over it and move on. piss poor web site management and re branding doesn't always equal miss advertising.

No, a true pc gamer wouldn't only pick PCP&C, Corsair and Seasonic. those are just a generic pic because they are companies that usually wouldnt matter which model you would pick that would be 100% low quality. You are just proving my post above. A REAL pc gamer would know what psu they would need to accomplish their task, look at ALL of the available options, look at professional reviews and decide what is best.
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:47:29 PM

I don't mean to sound like a douche, but we're getting a bit off topic here, guys.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 9:53:22 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|11-119-225^11-119-225-TS%2C11-119-245^11-119-245-TS

just to be sure its these 2 cases right?

yeah in my opinion, the trooper sounds better for its price. its larger as well. the only thing going for the haf x is the window if one prefers it.
m
l
June 28, 2012 10:09:13 PM

dudewitbow said:
No, a true pc gamer wouldn't only pick PCP&C, Corsair and Seasonic. those are just a generic pic because they are companies that usually wouldnt matter which model you would pick that would be 100% low quality. You are just proving my post above. A REAL pc gamer would know what psu they would need to accomplish their task, look at ALL of the available options, look at professional reviews and decide what is best.
:lol:  That's true i am just sick of that member trolling so did a quick copy paste job of other members who are sick of it as well the OP asked to help pick which case out of two different ones he didn't ask to hear all that drama and that topic has nothing to do with these cases if they have such issues take them up with cooler master don't spam the forum
m
l
June 28, 2012 10:15:14 PM

bw85 said:
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but we're getting a bit off topic here, guys.
Well said i would go with the trooper it's sexy :D 
m
l
June 28, 2012 10:23:23 PM

the trooper was my favorite case for a while but now the haf xm has come out and im not so sure they both look amazing but i think the trooper wins.
m
l
June 29, 2012 12:31:57 AM

Are there an issues with the Trooper fitting certain components? I know the HAF X doesn't, but it doesn't really matter of the Trooper is bigger if placement of screw holes or anything are off. Also, dust is a pretty big issue. I know it's inevitable, but does one do a better job at filtering?
m
l
June 29, 2012 12:34:35 AM

It wont let me edit from my iPhone, but a feature I like with the HAF X is the window. I've always wanted a case that would allow me to see the guts of the system. With a little accent lighting.
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 12:40:57 AM

bw85 said:
The case has no bearing on how my components will function though, right? Aside from cooling, which I am sure regardless of their PSUs or other components, CM HAF is top-notch for cooling. I guess I feel a bit disheartened to hear that after I have done so much research and narrowed it down to these two cases.
Yes of course your components, will function the PSU is a whole different story and all that never should of been mentioned in this thread my vote goes to the CM Storm Series Trooper :) 
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:49:30 AM

Is there any such thing as having a case too big for a gaming machine?
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:00:59 AM

bw85 said:
Is there any such thing as having a case too big for a gaming machine?

Uhm... Unless you want to carry it around for Lan Parties and don't have a car or comfortable transportation, yes. Bulky means less transport friendly, so you get the idea.

Otherwise, unless you're constrained by space or heat, big usually means better.

The 932 has some wheels, that allow me to move it around the house pretty nicely (clean it up, change something, etc), so the wheels for me makes the size and weight of the case a non-issue, whereas a case with no wheels will make you work a little harder IMO. Not a big issue if you're not planning on moving it though, but something to keep in mind.

Cheers!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 6:29:02 AM

bw85 said:
It wont let me edit from my iPhone, but a feature I like with the HAF X is the window. I've always wanted a case that would allow me to see the guts of the system. With a little accent lighting.

there is a version of the storm trooper with a window

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/chassis/Trooperwindo...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 8:25:17 AM

^that's one smexy case.there are other options available for similar price tag.
1-nzxt switch-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
looks-

review-
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

second option: Xigmatek Elysium-
looks-

Review-
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Xigmatek/Elysium/6.h...

Option 3: Silverstone Raven rv02-
looks-

review-
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/09/silve...

option #4: in win dragon rider-
looks-

review-
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/in_win_dragon_r...

there are a lot more cases.for example,haf 932,650d,define xl etc are some really good cases.it depends on your taste and budget.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 8:53:54 AM

^your chaser is a one great case.no need to change but if it's a personal preference,then go ahead.
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 8:59:20 AM

^ Thanks yeah i was planing on giving my son the chaser and getting a new case anyway and that CM Storm Stryker is a must for me now lol
m
l
June 29, 2012 9:16:26 AM

The Storm Trooper is simply amazing. Im buying this case!
Hidden drawer xD
A freaking cool handel
SSD docking station
Front fan controll, looks cool!
Fits a h100 with pull push push xD 4x fans mounted to the h100 and than a second pair of 140mm ontop of the case benith the top lid.
Actually fits a second radiator in the bottom front. If the secret drawer and the ssd hard drive cage is removed.
Very nice and tidey case, able to rerout all cables to the bak.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 9:21:16 AM

My vote goes to the CM Storm Stryker too.
m
l
June 29, 2012 11:55:19 AM

Well I don't go to LAN parties or anything, but I'd still like something with either wheels or a handle, so I can drag it from the office to the big screen whenever the wife goes out of town.
m
l
June 29, 2012 12:33:35 PM

Would it help if I gave listed the components that I will be putting inside of it?
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:06:50 PM

I have a HAF X i always thought the standard stormtrooper looked uglyier than a week old corpse but I have to say the white stryker version looks awesome.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:04:24 PM

Have you been pleased with the HAF X performance? Did you get the second optional fan installed on top? Any major dust issues?
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:34:41 PM

Thanks for those, man! I like how they included temperature graphs at the end. Even though it is a few degrees Celsius difference, I may end up going with the HAF X. I figure every degree cooler can only help, right? If I decide to install the second optional fan on the top, will it change the pressure of the case (positive/negative) and give me a bigger dust issue?

Also, I plan on getting the CM 212 EVO, and upgrading the fans to the Sickleflow, and the Megaflow fans for the 200mm fans - good idea, or waste of moolah?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2012 3:42:18 PM

^you don't need to fill every fan mount bro,a front intake,second(exhaust) on top and third(exhaust) at rear will do fine.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:54:58 PM

I have the extra fan on top of mine but to be honest its not needed. Dust wise the front fans mesh panel is easily removed and the screen taken out and cleaned. The roof is a bit fiddlier but doesn't need cleaning very often. The side fan requires you to remove the fan to clean the nylon mesh filter thing properly not to much bother but depends how dusty you get it, as mine is raised up on a table it doesnt suck much dust up so I dont need to clean it often, if you have a pack of dogs and keep it on the floor that could become an issue. I'm pleased with the case I like the brutal looks and it's well featured though the stormtrooper is clearly easier when it comes to cleaning.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:59:13 PM

I own the storm trooper and loved it so much I purchased a second one,
having them side by side did nothing for me, because my satisfaction was
already peaked with the first one I had to do something different, so the
only thing I could do at that point was to purchase the CM Cosmos 2.
Now I'm in love with both my cases.

m
l
June 29, 2012 4:03:38 PM

The Cosmos is well outside of my budget! I didn't realize how much it dwarfed the Trooper, lol.

I don't have any pets, but live in an older house. I've started flipping it a couple years ago, and while it is mostly put back together, I think a lot of the demo debris and dust got into my duct system, so dust seems to blow around a bit much. Or, maybe it's just my own personal perception that it does. In either case, cleaning would be pretty important to me.

Also, if I don't add any more fans, would it be wise to upgrade the stock fans? I've heard they can get noisy, but not sure if the Sickleflow and Megaflow are performance upgrades, or just cosmetic.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:32:33 PM

Would you say either of these cases are overkill for what I will be using (i5-3570K, CM Hyper EVO, Asus Sabertooth Z77, GeForce GTX 670 FTW (SLI in the future), TX850 PSU).
m
l
!