Sign in with
Your question

The $580 budget build, need advice and specs

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2012 4:19:58 PM

Hello all,

Working on a pretty tight budget for a new gaming build. We've got $580 to work with, (with maybe +/- 25 buck wiggle room).

Heres what isn't needed:

1. Case
2. Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers

I need everything else.

I'm open to either AMD or Intel. Not interested in overclocking at all. I live near a Microcenter so I know they have the i3-2100 for $100 and the i5-2400 for $150. They've also got good combo deals on bulldozer chips.

Processor: ?
Motherboard: Maybe H61 chipset? My case only supports micro-atx/mini itx Have a preference for Asus's stuff with gigabyte coming in second.
Ram: I like Mushkin or Crucial, but it doesn't matter, no need for it to be above 1333
PSU: ?
Graphics: 6850?
Optical ?
Hard drive ? More cost effective to go SSD now and get mass storage later? I don't know.

I know this is tight, I hope its doable while being a capable gamer. Thanks in advance everyone.
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 4:55:52 PM

Quote:
I'm open to either AMD or Intel. Not interested in overclocking at all. I live near a Microcenter so I know they have the i3-2100 for $100 and the i5-2400 for $150. They've also got good combo deals on bulldozer chips.

No - do not go Bulldozer there's tons of issues related to it both hardware and software - go with the i3-2120 or the i5-2400 - you will not be disappointed.

Here's how I'd do a sub-$600 build:

PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W - $84.99
Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67DLCB3 - $89.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $129.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM - $84.99
Optical: Sony DVD Burner - $19.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $604.89 - $15.00 MIR = $589.89

I included a better PSU than I was originally going to since you said you didn't need a case.
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 5:08:02 PM

I would avoid the i3. Its a good processor to be sure, but you really want a quad core these days. Go with the i5 like you were thinking.

As an AMD fanboy, I would steer clear of Bulldozer for now, since you said you're not interested in overclocking, I wouldn't bother, they're fine if you overclock the hell out of em, but they've got some work to do on their next stepping.

Windows- This is going to kill your budget for a capable gamer unless you are able to obtain a free copy. If you're in college, or know someone who is, see about getting a free copy. I get it for free through my college via Microsoft's Academic Alliance.

This is a good video card, I have one of these in the Zotac flavor, it works great. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
l
March 14, 2012 5:42:53 PM

Quote:
I would avoid the i3. Its a good processor to be sure, but you really want a quad core these days. Go with the i5 like you were thinking.

I have one - it's been excellent so far - but even the lowest end Pentiums right now handily beat the FX-8150, that's for sure.

Quote:
This is a good video card, I have one of these in the Zotac flavor, it works great. http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0383665

I have the 550TI (2 of them actually) and I would heavily advise against it when the 6850 is the same price and far out performs it.
m
l
March 14, 2012 5:49:12 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

I have one - it's been excellent so far - but even the lowest end Pentiums right now handily beat the FX-8150, that's for sure.

Quote:
This is a good video card, I have one of these in the Zotac flavor, it works great. http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0383665

I have the 550TI (2 of them actually) and I would heavily advise against it when the 6850 is the same price and far out performs it.

You might be right on the 6850.. I found this http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-rad...

But I wonder how the Amp edition stacks up against it? Zotac Jacked the GPU clock speed up by 100mhz on the Amp editions.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 5:53:37 PM

Ill go with the @g-unit1111 build but ill change the PSU with this Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power 80 PLUS Certified Modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 65$
And the GPU with SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 160$ after MIR.
RAM : Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 40$
This changes fit in your budget and you have a better video card.
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:08:21 PM

sosofm said:
Ill go with the @g-unit1111 build but ill change the PSU with this Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power 80 PLUS Certified Modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 65$
And the GPU with SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 160$ after MIR.
RAM : Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 40$
This changes fit in your budget and you have a better video card.

I don't think it would make much difference between the 6850 and the 6870 - maybe an additional 5 - 10 FPS but that's about it.

I like that RAM choice though, but why would you go with the Antec over the Seasonic?

Quote:

You might be right on the 6850.. I found this http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/gefo [...] n-hd-6850/

But I wonder how the Amp edition stacks up against it? Zotac Jacked the GPU clock speed up by 100mhz on the Amp editions.

I've never used Zotac before - I've always stuck with EVGA for NVIDIA-based GPUs. I have the 550TI and I definitely regret this choice - I'm getting a 7870 once I get my tax refund.
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:45:16 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I don't think it would make much difference between the 6850 and the 6870 - maybe an additional 5 - 10 FPS but that's about it.

I like that RAM choice though, but why would you go with the Antec over the Seasonic?

Quote:

You might be right on the 6850.. I found this http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/gefo [...] n-hd-6850/

I've never used Zotac before - I've always stuck with EVGA for NVIDIA-based GPUs. I have the 550TI and I definitely regret this choice - I'm getting a 7870 once I get my tax refund.

I ran Cinebench OpenGL with the Zotac Amp 550ti

Here are the results, how this stacks up against the 6850, I'd be interested to see if any of you guys want to post it.

CPU at 3.91GHZ- 44.95FPS

I found this on google http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=36608&p=23615... No claims on its reliability or accuracy
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 7:17:48 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with this FORUM ?

It means that there is no need to make pictures degrading others offering information to try and help others, besides the fact that the picture you created is in actuality, false. gunit never said he owned an AMD chip. The quote was to another poster sayign to avoid the i3 processor in which gunit replied that he owns one and it has been great. Nowhere does he mention he owns an AMD chip in that post, so you intentionally made a picture trying to call him out on false information to try and make you feel like a big shot.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:21:34 PM

Pezcore27 said:
It means that there is no need to make pictures degrading others offering information to try and help others, besides the fact that the picture you created is in actuality, false. gunit never said he owned an AMD chip. The quote was to another poster sayign to avoid the i3 processor in which gunit replied that he owns one and it has been great. Nowhere does he mention he owns an AMD chip in that post, so you intentionally made a picture trying to call him out on false information to try and make you feel like a big shot.

Theres no need to degrade AMD now is there so dont spout biased unsustiated Retoric and I will not have to call you on it ok ;-)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 7:26:41 PM

Please inform me when I degraded any AMD product? Please also inform me where anyone else degraded any AMD chip. All that was said was that even the lowest pentium G series processors will beat out the fx chips in gaming, which Tom's has already proven over and over:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

So I am not spouting biased unsustiated Retoric as you would so like everyone to believe.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:28:58 PM

Inteligence said:
Theres no need to degrade AMD now is there so dont spout biased unsustiated Retoric and I will not have to call you on it ok ;-)

Uggghhhhh. Punc... tu... ation.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:29:41 PM

Pezcore27 said:
Please inform me when I degraded any AMD product? Please also inform me where anyone else degraded any AMD chip. All that was said was that even the lowest pentium G series processors will beat out the fx chips in gaming, which Tom's has already proven over and over:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

So I am not spouting biased unsustiated Retoric as you would so like everyone to believe.

Funny and inaccurate that the FX-4100 was put above the the 8150 OK.... LOL and link to where it was proven that a Pentium was better than an FX 8150 LOL jk
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:30:50 PM

jessterman21 said:
Uggghhhhh. Punc... tu... ation.

Don't get me started on the spelling.. what is "Retoric" and why is it capitalized? My mommy always taught me not to throw stones since we have big ass glass windows.

Even so, I'm not getting into it, its not fair to the OP to have his thread locked over this.

Intelligence, (questionable)
My Phenom II destroys the FX-4100. Find the benchmarks yourself, they're all over the internet, if you want to discuss it at length, make your own thread.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:31:16 PM

Pezcore27 said:

*cough* look at my signature *cough*
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 7:35:17 PM

g-unit1111 said:
*cough* look at my signature *cough*

I thought you were saying that you owned an i3 in your post when it was advised to stay away from the dual core processors. If I read that wrong and gave false information I apologize.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:36:05 PM

Quote:
Look how all the Intel Bigots start to come out of the wood work it's like there in the Church of Apple only it's Intel LOL

Intel bigots... what?

I have two systems - one's an Intel and one's an AMD - I like the Intel build way better. I will not upgrade my system to FX because of all the problems it's been having.
m
l
March 14, 2012 7:43:29 PM

Quote:
Look how all the Intel Bigots start to come out of the wood work it's like there in the Church of Apple only it's Intel LOL

AMD's brand new CPU line CAN'T EVEN OUTPERFORM THEIR OWN SEVERAL YEARS OLD TECHNOLOGY. Case in point, now begone.
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:24:06 PM

Pezcore27 said:
I thought you were saying that you owned an i3 in your post when it was advised to stay away from the dual core processors. If I read that wrong and gave false information I apologize.

No problem - I have two systems - I couldn't fit the second system configuration in my sig line. That system is:

- Cooler Master HAF 912
- Corsair TX750
- Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
- Intel Core i3-2120
- 16GB Corsair XMS 3 RAM
- Crucial M4 64GB
- Samsung Spinpoint F3
- Sapphire Radeon HD 5830
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:26:19 PM

g-unit1111 said:
No problem - I have two systems - I couldn't fit the second system configuration in my sig line. That system is:

- Cooler Master HAF 912
- Corsair TX750
- Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
- Intel Core i3-2120
- 16GB Corsair XMS 3 RAM
- Crucial M4 64GB
- Samsung Spinpoint F3
- Sapphire Radeon HD 5830

How is the Core 13 performance wise for you ?
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:49:17 PM

This subject has been beat to death, but what the hell?

Phenom II 975 4 cores (3 years old design)= $160

FX-8150- 8 cores (not even a year old)= $250 - At that price, with double the cores it BETTER outperform a quad core.. but oh wait... damn.. look what happened here....

Core i7 2600k- 4 cores= $324

Core i5 2500k- 4 cores= $220

=Big fat fail
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:57:34 PM

nekulturny said:
This subject has been beat to death, but what the hell?

Phenom II 975 4 cores (3 years old design)= $160

FX-8150- 8 cores (not even a year old)= $250 - At that price, with double the cores it BETTER outperform a quad core.. but oh wait... damn.. look what happened here....

Core i7 2600k- 4 cores= $324

Core i5 2500k- 4 cores= $220

=Big fat fail

How about FX 8120 for $189
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:58:32 PM

LOTRO said:
How about FX 8120 for $189

Would work really well if you were planning on doing AutoCAD or video editing, but its practically worthless for gaming.

There are plenty of benchmarks on the net to back this up, find em yourself if you're curious. I've done my research, and like I said, its a discussion thats been beat to death.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:00:31 PM

nekulturny said:
Would work really well if you were planning on doing AutoCAD or video editing, but its practically worthless for gaming.

m
l
March 14, 2012 9:03:46 PM

Absolutely, without a doubt you have figured it out. I'm secretly an Intel fanboy with nothing better to do than to parade around pretending I own an AMD system for the purposes of making them look bad! Curses, you know the economy is tough right now, can't you please keep it under wraps? If my rouse is discovered, I'll lose my job with Intel.

PS: I think your tinfoil hat is cutting into your head causing tetanus of the brain. :whistle: 
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:06:34 PM

nekulturny said:
Absolutely, without a doubt you have figured it out. I'm secretly an Intel fanboy with nothing better to do than to parade around pretending I own an AMD system for the purposes of making them look bad! Curses, you know the economy is tough right now, can't you please keep it under wraps? If my rouse is discovered, I'll lose my job with Intel.

PS: I think your tinfoil hat is cutting into your head causing tetanus of the brain. :whistle: 

wow man just was noticing that there is allot a hate for AMD but from the research I have complied it seems FX BD is really decent and a step in the right direction for AMD from there Phenom II platform.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 9:09:11 PM

It's not that the FX chips are not capable it is just that you get more bang for your buck with an Intel chip.

If you read this article

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/directcompute-openc...

You can certainly tell the FX chip can run modern games. The point is that for less $ the Intel chips run games better.

I mean an i3 2120 costs $130... and it outperforms in games the FX 8150 in gaming applications. The 8150 costs twice the price for less performance! It is silly to put your money into an FX chip unless it is the 4100... The 4100 is $110 and performs almost as well for games as the flagship 8150! But at the end of the day the i3 2120 still outperforms even an overclocked FX 4100.

This is not AMD hate... this is common sense! Wasting money is a fool's game.

I've had plenty of AMD systems over the years. It is a question of what is happening at this point in history...
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:11:22 PM

pacioli said:
It's not that the FX chips are not capable it is just that you get more bang for your buck with an Intel chip.

If you read this article
You can certainly tell the FX chip can run modern games. The point is that for the less $ the Intel chips run them better.

I can agree with that.. This thread has just gone completely ridiculous. I'll leave the mods to sort it out.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:14:29 PM

LOTRO said:
wow man just was noticing that there is allot a hate for AMD but from the research I have complied it seems FX BD is really decent and a step in the right direction for AMD from there Phenom II platform.

I have no hate for AMD. My build is a month old, LOL, if I hated AMD, why would I buy their product? I determined based on my needs and budget that AMD was best suited for me. The simple fact is that both Intel and AMD have made trash CPUs over the years. Intel's first dual-core was pure garbage, they even admitted it was a hurried attempt to get in the market against AMD. You win some and you lose some.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:14:37 PM

g-unit1111 has the right idea but my changes to it would be

psu seasonic s12II 520w - $69.99 (newegg) reason why, no ocing and single videocard
cpu i5-2400 - $149.99 (micro center good deal) put that $20 from psu into better cpu

id go with sosofm with the ram

ram crucial ballistix sport 8GB - $39.99

I also have the sapphire hd-6850 nice card can't go wrong with it.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:22:40 PM

daysyang said:
g-unit1111 has the right idea but my changes to it would be

psu seasonic s12II 520w - $69.99 (newegg) reason why, no ocing and single videocard
cpu i5-2400 - $149.99 (micro center good deal) put that $20 from psu into better cpu

id go with sosofm with the ram

ram crucial ballistix sport 8GB - $39.99

I also have the sapphire hd-6850 nice card can't go wrong with it.

I don't think it will make that big of a difference between going with i3-2120 and i5-2400 - most games are just barely beginning to take advantage of quad core technology - it will be a while before they really catch up.

pacioli said:

If you read this article

You can certainly tell the FX chip can run modern games. The point is that for less $ the Intel chips run games better.

I mean an i3 2120 costs $130... and it outperforms in games the FX 8150 in gaming applications. The 8150 costs twice the price for less performance! It is silly to put your money into an FX chip unless it is the 4100... The 4100 is $110 and performs almost as well for games as the flagship 8150! But at the end of the day the i3 2120 still outperforms even an overclocked FX 4100.

This is not AMD hate... this is common sense! Wasting money is a fool's game.

I've had plenty of AMD systems over the years. It is a question of what is happening at this point in history...

Not only that - I can tell you from experience that there is *NOTHING* worse than buying the same part twice because you "bought the wrong part", I had that happen on a PSU I bought - it was some POS Ultra power supply, and after it caused nothing but problems left and right, I chucked it for a Corsair TX 750 - been problem free ever since. That PSU is now being used as an expensive paper weight to remind me of that. :lol: 

But yes - even on the most limited of budgets doing your research and knowing what you're buying despite what one fan boy tells you over another makes far more sense than having to buy the same part twice.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:28:23 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I don't think it will make that big of a difference between going with i3-2120 and i5-2400 - most games are just barely beginning to take advantage of quad core technology - it will be a while before they really catch up.

Not only that - I can tell you from experience that there is *NOTHING* worse than buying the same part twice because you "bought the wrong part", I had that happen on a PSU I bought - it was some POS Ultra power supply, and after it caused nothing but problems left and right, I chucked it for a Corsair TX 750 - been problem free ever since. That PSU is now being used as an expensive paper weight to remind me of that. :lol: 

But yes - even on the most limited of budgets doing your research and knowing what you're buying despite what one fan boy tells you over another makes far more sense than having to buy the same part twice.

AMEN, I just bought a 130 dollar case last night, because I got so sick of this cheap 60 dollar case I bought with my build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 9:32:53 PM

g-unit1111 said:
even on the most limited of budgets doing your research and knowing what you're buying despite what one fan boy tells you over another makes far more sense than having to buy the same part twice.

I think when your budget is limited the research is even more important. It is easy to ask "what parts are the best parts you can buy." We all know the answer to that... If price were not an issue we'd all have triple SLIed 580s. It is harder to answer what is the best part for my $$$. There you deal with issues of balance between the parts, needs of the user, and where to dedicate most of the budget.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:58:55 PM

pacioli said:
I think when your budget is limited the research is even more important. It is easy to ask "what parts are the best parts you can buy." We all know the answer to that... If price were not an issue we'd all have triple SLIed 580s. It is harder to answer what is the best part for my $$$. There you deal with issues of balance between the parts, needs of the user, and where to dedicate most of the budget.

Exactly - there's like very few system builders who can make the claim of "money is no object" - and that's usually the magazines. :lol: 

I always try to space my budgets out accordingly - I want to get a good balance between motherboard, CPU, case, PSU, etc. I don't play the game like "let's cut corners and put a dual 580 SLI setup on a $1200 build" type of game that some of the thriftier builders on this site play - to me that just isn't worth it. I'd rather balance out a given budget on having everything equal and balanced - sort of the teeter totter approach to system building. A $600 budget or a $2500 budget I always try to work with getting the best parts I can on any given budget.
m
l
!