Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$500 Build, Gaming

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 14, 2012 4:53:41 PM

i don't mind if it goes over 500 a little, but would prefer it be close and not ridiculously over :) 

THE PARTS I NEED ARE THE FOLLOWING:

1. MOBO
2. RAM
3. SSD
4. PSU


Approximate Purchase Date: 4/2012
Budget Range: 500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, everyday browsing
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, sound card, case
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, newegg, microcenter
Country: USA
Parts Preferences: Intel 2500k from microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Overclocking: Eventually
SLI or Crossfire: No, running HD 5770 for now
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments:

pretty straightforward here, but i have the following case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i first need to know if anything that is suggested beyond this point will fit in that case, because i see no reason to not use it for this build.

i downloaded bf3 and it actually looks fine on my dinosaur computer (hd 5770, e6750, 2gb RAM), but i am having some potentially failing components (either PSU or RAM) so am considering the upgrade option at this point rather than sink money into an old build. so here is what i want to do:

1. keep the above case if possible
2. keep the 5770 for now
3. buy the 2500k at microcenter (easy decision)
4. keep my current HDD as a backup

More about : 500 build gaming

Related resources
March 14, 2012 5:29:18 PM

Get the 2500K at Micro Center and take advantage of their combo deal.
Under $300 for 2500K and the Gigabyte UD3H B3 that is SLI/Xfire compatible. There is also a $10 MIR on top of that

Get the Corsair 600 watt PSU for $70 plus a $10 MIR $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get 8 Gb of 1.5v 1600 Mhz RAM from a relaible manufacturer (G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot, Kingston etc) $40-$50

Spend the Rest on the biggest SSD you can Get $100 (Crucial, Samsung, Intel)
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:32:15 PM

pacioli said:
Get the 2500K at Micro Center and take advantage of their combo deal.
Under $300 for 2500K and the Gigabyte UD#H that is SLI/Xfire compatible


is there a link for that? any idea how long that deal lasts?
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:38:43 PM

tuffluck said:
is there a link for that? any idea how long that deal lasts?


The combo deal is in the print ad... Just put a 2500K in your cart online then add a Gigabyte UD3H to your cart too... The combo deal will be applied automatically... The Mobo runs $115 in the combo and the i5 2500K is $180. The Print ad is good for the month of March.

i5 2500K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Gigabyte UD3H
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:42:08 PM

tuffluck said:
is there a link for that? any idea how long that deal lasts?


Unless you live next to a microcenter don't waste your time. The deal is only for in-store pick up. The MOBO I suggested is great for overclocking. If you plan to overclock you should get an after market cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Stick with the RAM I suggested here's one that cost less the reason is because it's low profile RAM and it won't interfere with the after market cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Do you plan to go SLI/Crossfire in the future? If so then I'd recommend a better PSU.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:47:19 PM

I leave the RAM and SSD unspecific in your case due to the daily wild fluctuations in price of each. Some days you can get an SSD really cheap and then it will be raised $50 the next day. The sweet spot for SSDs right now is $1 to $1.40 per Gb. If you are paying more than $1.40 per Gb you didn't look hard enough for a deal.

8Gb of RAM is pretty standard today. It is the sweet spot in the best price/Gb. Last month you could have snatched 8 Gb of 1600Mhz for around $30. It has gone up in the past month. Just pick the best deal at the moment.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:48:13 PM

aRodr1guez said:
Unless you live next to a microcenter don't waste your time. The deal is only for in-store pick up.


OP already said was going there for the processor...
I assume OP lives near one.

Also, the Gigabyte UD3H B3 is a much better mobo it normally runs $165 and he can get it for $115 plus a $10 MIR.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:52:05 PM

pacioli said:
He already said he was going there for the processor...
I assume he lives near one.


Haha, thanks for pointing that out I completely forgot he mentioned that above. I'm moving threw so many threads that I completely forgot reading that. In that case that's a great deal $180 for 2500k plus the mobo you can't go wrong.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 5:55:01 PM

aRodr1guez said:
Haha, thanks for pointing that out I completely forgot he mentioned that above. I'm moving threw so many threads that I completely forgot reading that. In that case that's a great deal $180 for 2500k plus the mobo you can't go wrong.

No problem. My closest one in Santa Clara, CA is 100 miles away... but I'll drive there in a pinch for a deal like that. You save $80-90 over Newegg. I justify it by visiting friends in the area... but I don't really give a damn about them... I want my cheap Processor!
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 6:59:25 PM

thanks guys. yeah i live near a microcenter, only about 5 miles from my house. to be honest, i don't have to buy everything today. i could just purchase the mobo/cpu and sit around a wait a week or two on ssd and ram prices.

i did see crucial ssd for $95 for 64gb. that's 1.48 per gb, close. i hope 64gb is enough considering i have a backup hdd.

i also have a chase freedom credit card, so i get 5% off amazon purchases through 3/31. i'm temped to buy as much through them as i can (except obviously PSU/CPU from microcenter).

xfire in the future definitely, and overclocking too. i figure i'll run my 5770 as long as i can until then. oh, and stock cooler or should i look into another?
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 7:03:45 PM

tuffluck said:
thanks guys. yeah i live near a microcenter, only about 5 miles from my house. to be honest, i don't have to buy everything today. i could just purchase the mobo/cpu and sit around a wait a week or two on ssd and ram prices.

i did see crucial ssd for $95 for 64gb. that's 1.48 per gb, close. i hope 64gb is enough considering i have a backup hdd.

i also have a chase freedom credit card, so i get 5% off amazon purchases through 3/31. i'm temped to buy as much through them as i can.

xfire in the future definitely, and overclocking too. i figure i'll run my 5770 as long as i can until then. oh, and stock cooler or should i look into another?


Since you mentioned future overclocking you can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can either get it now and not worry about it later or use the stock fan until you decide you want to overclock and purchase the after market CPU cooler. Up to you. I say get it now and not worry about it later.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 7:41:27 PM

aRodr1guez said:
Since you mentioned future overclocking you can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can either get it now and not worry about it later or use the stock fan until you decide you want to overclock and purchase the after market CPU cooler. Up to you. I say get it now and not worry about it later.


that's probably what i will do. and that will fit into my case? thanks.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 7:49:05 PM

tuffluck said:
that's probably what i will do. and that will fit into my case? thanks.


Definitely.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 8:51:39 PM

I'm using 64 gb for my boot drive. It works well
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 9:33:08 PM

Before you put your mobo in the case - get the cooler and save yourself the hassle in the future.
-Bruce
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 2:16:49 PM

pacioli said:
Check this out!!!!!!!!!! Today only

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

120 Gb SSD for $129 or $1.07 per Gb
Great deal!


damn, of course i would check this thread a day later :( 

since i'm in no rush to have this up and running, feel free to post any deals you see that are not worth skipping out on for PSU, SSD, cooler, and RAM...

or is there already a "good deals" forum/thread?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 2:27:50 PM

This is why I didn't recommend a specific SSD or RAM... too many good deals pop up all of a sudden. Today that SSD is $190... or $1.58/GB

Newegg has a great deal on a toaster oven today after 3... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Oh wait that doesn't help you, LOL.

Just check Neweeg.com early in the morning and see if they have a ShellShocker deal on an SSD or RAM. Every other day a deal pops up like that.

Also...RAM prices are going up at the moment... Sooner is better than later. They've been rising like $2 per kit per week.
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 3:18:27 PM

pacioli said:
This is why I didn't recommend a specific SSD or RAM... too many good deals pop up all of a sudden. Today that SSD is $190... or $1.58/GB

Newegg has a great deal on a toaster oven today after 3... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Oh wait that doesn't help you, LOL.

Just check Neweeg.com early in the morning and see if they have a ShellShocker deal on an SSD or RAM. Every other day a deal pops up like that.

Also...RAM prices are going up at the moment... Sooner is better than later. They've been rising like $2 per kit per week.


ha, maybe a toaster oven is in my future.

i'm going to get this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since it's free shipping i'm going to get it on its own and then hang tight and look for good deals on PSU and SSD. hopefully the RAM isn't DOA and/or that i build this system fully within the next 30 days so that i know if i need to return it or not!! i have bought RAM from newegg before that was dead...

found an SSD to from microcenter that i think is a pretty good deal:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 3:27:27 PM

I definitely wouldn't skimp on the PSU, get something like a corsair or antec PSU
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 3:33:05 PM

badjad05 said:
I definitely wouldn't skimp on the PSU, get something like a corsair or antec PSU


well i hope i'm not skimping on anything! i was just going to wait around and see if the PSUs will drop anymore in price.

on second thought i'm going to hold on the SSD, that one appears to be more trouble than it's worth.
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 3:42:19 PM

Yeah many SSD's can be a real hassle, so spending extra on them really saves you time in the long run
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 8:09:06 PM

I had a Crucial C300 die on me last week... I'm kind of pissed still
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:54:17 PM

ordered/picked up all my stuff today. from microcenter:

1. 2500k - 180
2. Gigabyte UD3 - 115 (MIR 10)
3. OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD - 70 (MIR 15)

Total with Taxes - 395
Less MIR - 370

Newegg:

OCZ 700w PSU - 90 (MIR 30)
G.Skill 8gb RAM - 47
Hyper 212 - 30

Total - 167
Less MIR - 137

Grand Total - 562
Less MIR - 507

plus i get 2% back on my credit card, so the new total is 551 no rebates and 496 after rebates.

honestly i wasn't seriously interested in building a new computer all that much, but for technically under $500 to build a system that is this good, it's kind of a no-brainer (hopefully i get the MIRs, i haven't had great luck in the past).

hopefully should get newegg parts in this week and have the PC up and running by week's end. i have some AS5 still from my build 4 years ago, so there was another $8 i didn't have to spend :D  thanks for all of the help!
m
0
l
!