Completely Lost and don't know what to do....

vbright

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I built a gaming rig from the ground up and I thought things would go a bit more smoothly. I Have a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard and I plan on installing Windows 7 Home Premium onto a 64GB SSD and use my 750GB HDD for other files, back ups, etc. Sounds simple enough but here's the problem. I boot up the computer, set SATA to AHCI, save settings and reboot. Then I insert the Windows 7 disc and I get this exact message WORD FOR WORD: "LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM...DISK BOOT FAILURE...INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER...

I do what the message states, I eject the disc, reinsert it and press enter. " I get the same "DISK BOOT FAILURE" message. I even reboot the computer in hopes that it will work. It is almost like my computer doesn't even ATTEMPT to load Windows 7. I have tried just abut everything: Bootable Flash Drive, different SATA ports, formatting the SSD, checked and rechecked all connectors, you name it! I'm slowly losing my mind trying to figure out what is causing this error.. :pt1cable:

PLEASE HELP!!

P.S. The bootable flash drive shows up in BIOS but I can't boot from it because "The File Size is Incorrect??"

Solution
Thats actually what you want to see in a system build.

When installing windows on the bootable flash drive, are you sure its formatted properly? you cant just throw the iso file on a disk.. It needs to be "converted" to a bootable.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/12/-the-usb-flash-drive.ars

Once you run this tool on the iso file, its just a matter of changing the boot sequence.

I'm sorry if that sound patronizing, but thats something I made the mistake of doing once.. lol
Thats actually what you want to see in a system build.

When installing windows on the bootable flash drive, are you sure its formatted properly? you cant just throw the iso file on a disk.. It needs to be "converted" to a bootable.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/12/-the-usb-flash-drive.ars

Once you run this tool on the iso file, its just a matter of changing the boot sequence.

I'm sorry if that sound patronizing, but thats something I made the mistake of doing once.. lol

Solution

kairotic

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
In your first 2 paragraphs you stated "disc", but at the end you stated "flash". Which one is it?

Will it boot to the disc/flash drive when you set the BIOS to SATA? You can switch to AHCI after you install windows very easily. Microsoft has even released an exe fix so you don't have to modify the registry manually.

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I vaguely remember this happening to me when I installed my SSD. Seems like it was a pretty easy fix. Make sure the SSD you're trying to install is set to the primary disk. Also make sure you boot from the optical drive or to the flash or whatever you're using. Do this by opening the boot menu or changing the priority that it boots devices in.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

I'm no expert but I do know that there are problems with USB 3.0 because they are not "natively supported." I ran into this problem with other issues and moving my flash drive to usb 2.0 slots during bootup helped.

Also, I forgot to switch my SATA ports to AHCI when I installed my SSD. They were left on IDE. When I tried switching them to the correct setting. My computer bitch slapped me in the crotch. So I reset it back to IDE. Everything works fine now. I hope I was able to help at least a little.

Jim

vbright

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for all the help, It's much appreciated. nekulturny you were right I need to fix my Flash drive and boot order. The OS is up and running. Thanks again.

Glad you got it sorted, I figured it was a simple thing.. they really should pick a better message than "DISK BOOT FAILURE" its a scary thing to see on a computer, especially when its what you WANT to see in a brand spanking new hard drive.

I say lets petition for a more friendly message "I'm ready for you to feed me yummy Windows goodness!"