Your question

Just a couple of questions-budget build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2012 7:06:00 PM

Hey guys
I'm going to upgrade my PC maybe next week or so but I have some doubts.
I use my PC mainly for moderate gaming (I really don't care about having all settings on ultra).
Please ave in consideration that I have a very low budget and that I live in Portugal which means I don't have access to Newegg

I'm thinking about getting:
-H61M-S2P-B3 motherboard
-G620 CPU
-2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz. Is this enough or should I get 8GBs instead?
-I currently have a 10 year old 300watts PSU. Do I need to replace this or can it handle the upgrade?
-Sapphire HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 Is this enough for modern stuff?

Thanks in advance for all replies

More about : couple questions budget build

March 14, 2012 7:59:23 PM

The 4670 isn't really that great in modern games. Not just that it is cheap, but 4000 series cards don't support dx11 similar to how older Nvidia cards also don't.

I am kinda surprised your 10 year old 300w PSU can even still work since many die in the 3 to 5 year range, but it does depend on a lot of things.

It probably really can't handle a whole host of new upgrade options.

Sadly, there isn't too many good ideas I can give you right now.

On a super low budget, the RAM would have to stay, the motherboard too.

The CPU is an upgrade possibility, however, games don't depend very much on the CPU usually, so you probably wouldn't see a big jump in performance.

A better video card would probably give you better performance, but there is no telling if your PSU/Case/Cooling Setup can handle it.

I don't know what your budget is, but you could try for a 6750 or a 7750 video card. Those are both around $100 and they do support direct x 11. The 7xxx cards are more heat and power efficient than anything else on the market at the moment so if your PSU can handle a real video card upgrade without failing it would probably be with a 7750.
March 14, 2012 8:19:39 PM

The mobo CPU and RAM will all be bought. I can cover most of this expense by selling my current system (g31m+celeron e3400+4gb ddr2).

About the PSU I'm surprised too that it's lasting this long which is why I was considering buying a new one but I wanted one with a PCI-e connector so I could upgrade the graphics card but I can't find any cheap one.

I'm aware that my GPU doesn't support dx11 but is it such a big issue? I thought only a couple of games nowadays actually used dx11. Also I can't afford a 7750. It costs almost what I have for mobo+ram+cpu.
I did however find a dirt cheap used 5750. Would it be worth the upgrade?
Related resources
March 15, 2012 2:36:11 AM

The 5750 is a whole lot better than the 4670. It also does support DX11. Twice as good.

If it is indeed dirt cheap, it wouldn't be the worst idea to pick it up.

As far as DX11 goes, more and more dx11 games are released every month.

PSUs - The XFX 450w, Antec Earthwatts 430, and Antec Earthwatts 380 are all good PSUs that are relatively cheap. They are all worth the price.
March 15, 2012 1:21:21 PM

Turns out it's probably cheaper to buy a 7750 and no new PSU than a PSU+5750. Would it be better to get the 7750?
Also is 4GB enough for today's stuff? I kind of found a 2GB stick laying around so I'll only have to buy another one
March 15, 2012 5:49:22 PM

It really depends, a lot of people swear that 4GBs is enough for gaming, but I am happy myself with 8 and RAM is cheap enough that I usually suggest others get 2x 4GBs without thinking unless they are on extreme budgets.

I think that 2x 8GBs is worth $10 more than 4GBs over the life of a computer, but if you just don't have it then you don't have it.

Video card - If you can get a 5750 and still have enough money left for a PSU just in case, that might be the better deal. I really don't trust 10 year old PSUs, especially not when it comes to handling upgrades.

I would hate to tell you to get the 7750 and then the other PSU can't handle it (a possibility) and then you are SOL with no money left.
March 15, 2012 6:54:54 PM

Can you tell me how many amps I need in the 12v rail for the 7750?
I work near a scrapeyard (not sure if it's the correct name) and could be on the lookout for a half decent PSU which would cost me absolutely nothing.
They have a 350watts one but it's kinda old. It's this one http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/350-watt-power-supply-U...
March 15, 2012 7:34:19 PM

15A on the 12v is not very much in 2012. PSUs these days need to be able to pull 95% of the total system power from the 12v.

For what you would be using it for, it might as well be a 150v PSU.

10 or 15 years ago, most power was drawon from the +5v so that would have been a decent PSU, but in 2012 its almost all drawn from the +12v.

You should expect the whole TDP of the card to come off the 12vs. That is about 55w which is about 3.5A.
!