difference between regular, "roam", and "extended area"

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
August 18, 2004 8:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular (More info?)

what are the real technical differences between these three flavors of coverage?

I mainly use my Free2Go phone for SMS txt'ing overseas.
August 19, 2004 3:31:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <1e3670a7.0408181435.7968808c@posting.google.com>,
alanh_27@yahoo.com (Alan Horowitz) wrote:

> what are the real technical differences between these three flavors of
> coverage?
>
> I mainly use my Free2Go phone for SMS txt'ing overseas.

Regular is when you are using your carriers own Network, Extended is
when you are transparently roaming at no cost, and roaming is when you
are on another carriers network, perhaps at extra cost depending on your
plan.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:59:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular (More info?)

On 18 Aug 2004 16:17:06 -0700, alanh_27@yahoo.com (Alan Horowitz)
wrote:

>what are the real technical differences between these three flavors of coverage?
>
>I mainly use my Free2Go phone for SMS txt'ing overseas.

Well, I don't know who Free2Go is, but for Verizon:
Regular is regular. Standard network.

Roam means someone elses's network, typically you are charged for this
coverage.
Extended area - not the carriers network, but they have a roaming
agreement with another carrier so you typically aren't charged roaming
rates.