Using headphones for soundcard and speakers for onboard sound

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I just bought an asus dgx soundcard and this is my first time installing one of these cards as well. I thought I could just use my headphones with the soundcard jack, and leave my speakers connected with the default 3.5mm input using the realtek onboard sound. Now Im checking the manual and it says that in order for me to install the card, I should first disable the onboard sound. Im mostly doing this because I dont want to plug my headphones on the back of my desktop, and then unplug them when trying to use my speakers and repeat this over and over again. I read somewhere that I could buy a 3.5mm splitter that can als serve as an extension. Will using this splitter affect the quality of the sound coming to the headphones? My speakers are cheap but powered. Maybe just turning them off will make them not affect the sound quality from the headphones?
Im hoping theres an easy way to setup this.

Solution
Yes disable the onboard sound and move the front panel audio header to the one on the DGX. This only applies if you are not using an OEM system (Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM...) where the front panel audio header may be proprietary and not work with the DGX.

popatim

Titan
Yes disable the onboard sound and move the front panel audio header to the one on the DGX. This only applies if you are not using an OEM system (Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM...) where the front panel audio header may be proprietary and not work with the DGX.

Solution

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Yes, Im using an hp p7-1110 desktop so I guess I wouldnt be able to move the front 3.5mm input to the DGX one. Even if I buy a splitter, I still will have to adjust settings when changing from headphones to speakers ( first will be used for 3d gaming with 5.1 dolby surround, the second for regular youtube music playback ). I read that the quality may not be affected, and that is mostly the volume that will get lowered when using a splitter. What are my best options here? Just getting a 3.5mm extension so I dont have to move all the way back to my desktop case when switching from headphones to speakers and viceversa? Download a software that will allow me to use those 2 audio devices at the same time, preferably one blocking the other when one is being used? Any ideas? Im using a pair of sennheiser hd 558 headphones btw.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Sorry for the double post. I just learned how to connect the front panel header with a soundcard by using a 9 pin connector. This really would have been a great way to setup my headphones and speakers, but Ill take popatim's word for granted and assume I wont be able to do it with an OEM system.
The only option I have now is to buy a 3.5mm (1/8") extension in order to have the sound jack closer to me and be able to switch headphones and speakers when needed.
Should I get a regular one or a gold plated one? The first on radioshack costs $7 while the latter goes for $15.

popatim

Titan
oem system is a toss up. If your manual shows you a pinout of the front panel audio connector you can compare it to the industry standard and if they are identical then its no problem. Sometimes on oem systems the fronpanel audio is combined with usb and/or front case connections (leds/power buttons...)
There should be a standard pinout of the front panel audio header in yor dgx manual.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
The price of the fp connector is around the same for the 3.5mm extension, so I ended buying the latter one. Works good. The only drawback is having to manually unplug and plug the cables of the headphones and the speakers, but its located at arms reach so its not a big problem. Thanks popatim for your help.

TRENDING THREADS