Pop goes my CPU?

imcavebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I turned my computer on this morning. Heard a weird pop and then smelled smoke. I promptly turned it off and unplugged all the power cords, etc.

Most of what I found online points to a power supply problem. I went to the corsair website and the troubleshooting recommended testing the PSU, so I did and it does still run.

Should the PSU still be replaced? Or is there something else that could be the problem?

Thanks!

System info:
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Zalmann fan/heatsink

ATI Radeon 5750

ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Model DRW-2014L1T

imcavebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

The smell is most definitely worst from the PSU.

Its hard to tell if a PSU took anything with it until you get a functional PSU in it, and if the PSU smells funky it is definitely the culprit. It can blow a filter cap and still run fine but it would put out really noisy power to the system.

I don't think the 650 TX has been out long enough to be out of warranty so you should just be able to get a warranty replacement for your unit. Random bad capacitors happen, they are very rare but they happen even from the best suppliers.

imcavebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
My husband brought home a new PSU last night, I plugged everything in, started up the computer and got a BIOS error code. Looked it up - computer is not recognizing a video card. So I took the card out in order to clean and reseat it per the instructions - on close inspection I found a black mark on the back of the card near one of the little flat boxes on the card. Probably why it doesn't work. :/