Is it worth to update my system or should I buy a new one?

AlvaroVonKunstler

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello everyone!

I would like to know if my system is worth updating or should I buy all new components and build a new system. I originally wanted to upgrade my graphics card and RAM but my system seems to be outdated. I want a system that can take heavy editing software such as Adobe After Effects Cs5, Photoshop, zbrush and others with great graphics. If you can suggest components I should buy to have a powerful system that would be awesome.

Below is the system I currently have, I would like to know if it is worth updating, if not then advise me to get new components to build a new computer, I never built a computer but I've seen YouTube videos. I will start buying a Cooler Master 690 case for my new system.

Processor:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU E2200 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Memory (RAM):
Kingston KVR667D2N5 1.8V
2GB pack

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits

Hard-drive:
Maxtor DiamondMax 21 STM3160215AS
160GB SATA

Graphics Card:
Intel Family G33/G31 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
256MB

Network Adapter:
NIC Fast Ethernet PCI-E Realtek Family RTL8102E/RTL8103E (NDIS 6.20)

Motherboard:
MSI 945GCM7

g-unit1111

Titan
First you shouldn't include your e-mail in your OP - that's what the PM function is for.

But on the other hand I'd definitely say it's worth looking into getting a new system - you can certainly reuse your HD, and maybe your case and OS but a new system would be worth it over overhauling your existing one.

mon4ro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
For that use, I would, personally, definitely go for a new system. That kind of software requires a lot of computing power and old hardware can weigh you down performance- and future-proof-wise.

I don't really see this as a candidate for upgrade given the usage. If it were a general office machine not doing heavy lifting, it would be fine to upgrade it... given CPU availability.

You are better off starting fresh with those requirements though.