Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/graphics card issue

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2012 7:23:54 PM

Weird question but I guess not really, so my motherboard is a gigabyte ud3h-b3 z68x, and I was planning on maybe SLi'ing 2 gtx 670s. I was given the go ahead with my corsair tx 750w v2 80 plus bronze certified psu. Problem is I have an ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Sound card in there now in the pci slot on the bottom and right above it taking the double slots would be my 2nd gtx 670. It will fit with 2 slots but right under it, I mean directly under it would be the sound card. Would this cause issues with heat and flow? I have good airflow in the case.
a c 1197 ) Power supply
a c 561 U Graphics card
a c 222 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 7:56:47 PM

Are you going to be using two GeForce GTX 670 cards based on the reference design cooler or based on custom cooler design?

If they are based on the reference design cooler, does the ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Sound card's length extend far enough to cover the graphics card's fan intake or leave the fan intake exposed?
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:59:00 PM

alittle bit of the intake is covered by the sound card. It doesn't complete cover the fans on the gtx 670.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1197 ) Power supply
a c 561 U Graphics card
a c 222 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 9:19:04 PM

mf2385 said:
alittle bit of the intake is covered by the sound card. It doesn't complete cover the fans on the gtx 670.

You still haven't said which type of GeForce GTX 670 card (i.e. reference cooler design or custom cooler design) you're going to be using.

Isn't that ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 sound card a low profile card?

I don't think it will even cover the fan at all on a card using a reference design cooler. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:57:12 PM

ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top Edition. it's a dual slot card, it is a pretty low profile sound card, it barely covers the fans on the 670, but it does a bit.
m
l
June 29, 2012 11:24:28 AM

I'm thinking maybe upgrade my gaming headset to one with an onboard sound card and just remove the ASUS DG 5.1 and sell it make back like $20 bucks or so for it? I have a Razer Carcharias headset now, I can upgrade to one of the new Corsair Vengance headset or a good one with onboard sound. I want to have better airflow then my 2nd gtx 670 being right on top of my sound card. Any suggestions?
m
l
a c 1197 ) Power supply
a c 561 U Graphics card
a c 222 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 4:36:43 PM

mf2385 said:
I'm thinking maybe upgrade my gaming headset to one with an onboard sound card and just remove the ASUS DG 5.1 and sell it make back like $20 bucks or so for it? I have a Razer Carcharias headset now, I can upgrade to one of the new Corsair Vengance headset or a good one with onboard sound. I want to have better airflow then my 2nd gtx 670 being right on top of my sound card. Any suggestions?

Have you tried your Razer Carcharias headset with the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard's onboard Realtek HD Audio?

If it's sufficient then you don't need to upgrade unless you were planning on upgrading to the wireless Corsair Vengeance 2000.
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:29:02 PM

I haven't tried it but it's just going to be onboard sound from my motherboard, not really gonna sound great or anything. I might upgrade to something like that or even the Megaladon or something.
m
l
!