Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU dead?

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2012 8:18:24 PM

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but please just help me with my question. I don't need to know how to troubleshoot everything else, because I've already tried everything else. Thanks! :) 

So I was putting a new build together and I couldn't get it to power on. I assumed it was the motherboard or the cpu (and since CPUs rarely seem to be DOA, I RMA'd the mobo.)

Got the second mobo in. Still, nothing happens. (And when I say nothing I mean no power, no beeps, no fans, no led on mobo, nothing!)

So, my question is, if I had a dead cpu and the motherboard was fine would anything power on? Such as the fans? Would the motherboard LED come on, would I hear beeps?

I'm still trying to figure out whether my problem lies with the motherboard or the cpu.

More about : cpu dead

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 8:31:13 PM

PSU?
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:34:27 PM

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but please just help me with my question. I don't need to know how to troubleshoot everything else, because I've already tried everything else. Thanks! :) 

So, my question is, if I had a dead cpu and the motherboard was fine would anything power on? Such as the fans? Would the motherboard LED come on, would I hear beeps?

And just for the sake of it, yes the PSU is working properly.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 8:41:54 PM

Well, you didn't mention it, so I had to cover that base too.

Regardless, I suppose if the CPU was good and truly dead (meaning the board didn't even know it was there), I suppose that COULD cause what you're describing, but the light on the board SHOULD light up, you SHOULD hear a beep, and the fans SHOULD run at least for a split second. That part has nothing at all to do with the CPU.

This is sounding like a dead short on the mobo from the case, to me. Take the mobo out of the case and try to power it up then (if you haven't done that already...).
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:51:52 PM

I have. Like I mentioned in the first post, I've tried "everything."

I'm on my second motherboard with no luck. So that's why I'm trying to figure out if it might possibly be the CPU (which I don't think it is) or if I'm just awesome enough to get 2 dead motherboards.
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:51:58 PM

What kind of MB? I don't think it is the CPU as you should still get the power LED to come on even with a dead CPU.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 8:54:15 PM

Tigerbite said:
I have. Like I mentioned in the first post, I've tried "everything."

I'm on my second motherboard with no luck. So that's why I'm trying to figure out if it might possibly be the CPU (which I don't think it is) or if I'm just awesome enough to get 2 dead motherboards.

It almost HAS to be two dead mobo's then. I REALLY don't think it's the CPU because like I said above, everything should still "work", it just wouldn't boot.
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:54:59 PM

Jim_L9 said:
What kind of MB? I don't think it is the CPU as you should still get the power LED to come on even with a dead CPU.

That's exactly my thought, Jim. It's the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. It was recommended by someone on these forums when I was in my "pre-build" stage. Newegg was the only one carrying it. And I will never order another motherboard from Newegg again.

I got an e-mail yesterday from my first board that I RMAd saying they're not refunding it because of bent pins. (I assure you there were no bent pins on that board.) Went googling around and found out that this isn't uncommon with newegg and motherboards. :|
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:56:07 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It almost HAS to be two dead mobo's then. I REALLY don't think it's the CPU because like I said above, everything should still "work", it just wouldn't boot.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for! I was sure, but not positive. And seeing how this is my first build with a LGA1155 board, I couldn't exactly test the CPU in another computer. And everywhere around me wants to charge me $50 to test the CPU, so I really didn't want to do that either. :p 
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:02:28 PM

Did you check the cables from the case to the MB? Some connectors may not be matching correctly.

Or did you check if the power outlet is on? When you use power extension, surge protector or not, wrong switch or faulty connection may cut the power from the source.
m
l
!