M2n SLI
AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+
2x1gb DDR2-800
2x2gb DDR2-800
nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
450w PSU
Win XP Pro

I need help!
I've had this rig for a long time and it's in need of an update.
Money is always an option so I was thinking to upgrade small things that I can use in a newer machine some where down the road.
I went ahead and bought 4gb (2x2) of ram only to find out that 32bit OS can only use 3 gigs worth *shrug*.
So now I figured lets take a look at video cards.
It's making my head spin. The main point I have found is that I will need to upgrade my PSU. What PSU should I get? I don't even know what to look at.
There are some pretty good sub $150 cards. I was looking at the Radeon HD6790 or the GeForce 550Ti.
After all this my MotherBoard/CPU is holding me back so I was looking at the ASUS M5A99x EVO with the FX-8120 bulldozer with 8gb DDR#-1866

I haven't even thought about storage at this point or a burner and I will have to buy Windows 7.

Where does it end?

Thanks for your help.

-Matt-

Solution
You can find good deals on seasonic 620W, cost you about $70 and even will support up to 7970 even.

A FX-8120+M599x+DDR31600 motherboard costs about $400, but should go down to at least $350 in my opinion after 6 month.

Now, The graphic card, probably 7770. Not much price increase than the current 6770, $130

Total will be $550
Don't bother upgrading it, save for a new one.

A video card upgrade would likely require a psu upgrade. (you didn't mention what your psu make and model is)

A video card upgrade won't do you any good because your cpu is too slow.

A cpu upgrade isn't going to do much without a gpu upgrade.

A cpu upgrade will require a new motherboard and new ram.

spartacvs

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply's

I was figuring on having to upgrade the PSU because of its age so that's why I didn't post it.

I am trying to give myself an upgrade path so that I can use the components in the next machine.

I figured the newer video card will be far superior to the one I have now with the understanding that it'll be hampered by my cpu. How much better? Beats me. It may not be enough of a boost and so saving for a new machine will be the only option. I hope not though.

I will be upgrading the motherboard/CPU but not for at least 6 months. I am looking at another ASUS board with a bulldozer CPU. I can throw a few hundred dollars at it every 6 months or so and by Christmas I'll have a newer machine.

With that being said I would need a PSU that'll fit my current ASUS M2n-SLI and the future motherboard/CPU as well as a new video card.

Thanks

You can find good deals on seasonic 620W, cost you about $70 and even will support up to 7970 even.

A FX-8120+M599x+DDR31600 motherboard costs about $400, but should go down to at least $350 in my opinion after 6 month.

Now, The graphic card, probably 7770. Not much price increase than the current 6770, $130

Total will be $550

Solution
EDIT: (Oh, it's just 6790 :p) You can also buy all of them together so that you really see a performance boost. Because you can also buy 7770/7790 at those times. Anyway it's OK to buy now, with some bottlenecks. But since you're upgrading to a FX-8120, M5A99X and a dual channel DDR3-1866, you should be fine. It's not that much of bottlenecks anyway :). Go ahead have a good day :).

Status
Not open for further replies.