Which CPU for Budget Gaming PC

Hello,

I'm looking to build my first gaming pc within the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide between AMD and intel.
I am reusing a case/hdd/diskdrive.

AMD Build

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/f0eeaf67a03c46e9a53e700ad8e1fc3a

Intel Build

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/4852167c311746568af8522c357bca48

not currently planning on Overclocking but maybe in the future. Main use will be gaming (bf3) and general.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks :bounce:
37 answers Last reply
More about which budget gaming
  1. For strictly a gaming build, I'd probably go with the Intel build. Plus, if sometime down the not to distant road, you come into some extra cash, you could swap out that CoreI3 2120 with a CoreI5 2500. With the AMD build, there isn't much of an upgrade path.

    -Wolf sends
  2. Amd Llano is you best bet, intel have amazing cpu's but their gpu'sare plain garbage.
  3. imo yes intel benches better than amd. but my amdfx 8120 with a gtx570 is running bf3 with no problems. i get round 70 fps. im no amd fan boy, i just couldnt afford an i7 or intel build. but amd runs bf3 fine.
  4. who said u need i7 to play bf3 on ultra even an i3 kick the *#@ of fx 8150 or any amd cpu :D

    but this is comming from one using x6 1090t @4.2 :D
  5. just like a intel fanboy, lol....no one said you have to have an i7, reread the post!
  6. oh and im on a 8120 @ 3.6ghz and runs sweet !
  7. redeemer said:
    Amd Llano is you best bet, intel have amazing cpu's but their gpu'sare plain garbage.


    Llano is garbage if your not using the integrated gpu. I would definitely go with the intel build, if you can get a 6870 for 20 maybe 30 extra pounds I would do so.
  8. bf3 is gpu bound, with almost no difference between an athlon II and an i7-3xxx

    in other gams, a Pentium G820 blows the 8150 away
  9. The AMD build , but swap out the 960t for an FX 4100 [or 4170 if its available]

    The comparison on this website of the FX 4100 and the i3 2100 showed they produced near enough identical fps in FP Shooters
    Then you have the option to OC the FX so performance could be better than the i3 .
    It will definitely be better than the 960t
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4100+Quad-Core
  10. The title of this topic has been edited by Proximon
  11. I want to make it clear. ANY attempt to troll or start a flame war will be met with harsh treatment. This is NOT your debate thread. It's fairly civil so far, but tread lightly, I am watching.
  12. i personaly would go intel, like Wolfshadw said u can upgrade to i5 2500k which i have and def recommend,I also would upgrade to a 6870 for the little extra its worth it, a good deal on a 560 ti would be evn better
  13. I do like the intel build, but i probably wont be upgrading for at least a year and i know you cant OC the i3. I was wondering if theres any promising line ups coming from either manufacturer? aka which socket AM3 or 1115.

    Additionally is my mobo a good choice on the Intel build?

    I'm not trying to troll, just looking for some guidance, apologies.
  14. Additionally what do you guys think of this GPU instead of the 7850. I want to keep the GPU sub £100.(i get VAT off)

    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/MSI+GeForce+GTX+560+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=45322


    I can't really justify the jump to the 6870 or the 560ti.

    your help is much appreciated.
  15. 13lackOut said:
    Additionally what do you guys think of this GPU instead of the 7850. I want to keep the GPU sub £100.(i get VAT off)

    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/MSI+GeForce+GTX+560+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=45322


    I can't really justify the jump to the 6870 or the 560ti.

    your help is much appreciated.


    The GTX 560 is as powerful as a 6870 .
  16. sweet, then £95 is a freaking steal.

    However the 7800's come out soon so maybe they will drop the prices on the 6870.

    Thanks.
  17. 13lackOut said:
    Hello,

    I'm looking to build my first gaming pc within the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide between AMD and intel.
    I am reusing a case/hdd/diskdrive.

    AMD Build

    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/f0eeaf67a03c46e9a53e700ad8e1fc3a

    Intel Build

    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/4852167c311746568af8522c357bca48

    not currently planning on Overclocking but maybe in the future. Main use will be gaming (bf3) and general.

    Any advice is appreciated,

    Thanks :bounce:


    I know you are in tight budget, If you choose Intel: Core i3 is good enough but the MB listed supports overclocking, I suggest you choose H67 chipset MB you put an NVidia or AMD Radeon GPU and your good to go.
  18. H67 and Z68 cost the same price, is there much difference? i've heard Z68 is more future proof.
  19. 13lackOut said:
    H67 and Z68 cost the same price, is there much difference? i've heard Z68 is more future proof.


    Yeah! you can use Z68 and if you have enough money for an upgrade later on you can upgrade to i5 2500K 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge or 3770K Ivy Bridge CPU
  20. 13lackOut said:
    Additionally what do you guys think of this GPU instead of the 7850. I want to keep the GPU sub £100.(i get VAT off)

    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/MSI+GeForce+GTX+560+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=45322


    I can't really justify the jump to the 6870 or the 560ti.

    your help is much appreciated.


    the 6870 is quite a bit better than the 560 http://www.hwcompare.com/11005/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeon-hd-6870/ . The 560 is between the 6850 and 6870 performance wise. AMD 6800 series gpu's are disappearing of the shelves, I wouldn't hold out for a great deal on a 6870. The 7800 series doesn't compete with the 6800 series price wise. I'm not sure what AMD's strategy is in the mid-range with the 7770 being underwhelming for the price.
  21. True, But it is only a couple of days. i'll probably go for the GTX and the Intel Build with the Z68 Mobo.

    Anyone have any suggestions on Mobo? I'm thinking of changing to this

    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z68-v-lx-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

    instead of the gigabyte.


    thanks again for the help
  22. Quote:
    the 6870 is quite a bit better than the 560 http://www.hwcompare.com/11005/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeon-hd-6870/ . The 560 is between the 6850 and 6870 performance wise. AMD 6800 series gpu's are disappearing of the shelves, I wouldn't hold out for a great deal on a 6870. The 7800 series doesn't compete with the 6800 series price wise. I'm not sure what AMD's strategy is in the mid-range with the 7770 being underwhelming for the price.



    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-560-amp-edition-gtx-560-directcu-ii-top,review-32189-6.html

    the GTX 560 and radeon 6870 compare closely
  23. Yeah thanks for the help, im going for the GTX 560 as its cheaper. All thats left to decide is the Mobo
  24. Outlander_04 said:


    both of the 560's were factory overclocked while the 6870 is running at stock speeds.
  25. With the gigabyte and asus motherboards you showed they will either run sli at a penalty (16x,4x) or not at all with the asrock you showed.
  26. Quote:
    both of the 560's were factory overclocked while the 6870 is running at stock speeds.


    Well spotted . Both those cards are OCed .

    I still think the 560 and 6870 perform similarly though

    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/07-Crysis-2-DirectX-11-B-Performance,2950.html
    neck and neck

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=543
    Situation can be different at other resolutions , but here the two cards swap the lead game by game
  27. Outlander_04 said:
    Well spotted . Both those cards are OCed .

    I still think the 560 and 6870 perform similarly though

    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/07-Crysis-2-DirectX-11-B-Performance,2950.html
    neck and neck

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=543
    Situation can be different at other resolutions , but here the two cards swap the lead game by game


    Crysis has always run better on Nvidia hardware. If you look at the results from the benchmarks on the anandtech webpage at the end, nvidia only has an advantage with the dirextx11 compute shader fluid simulation while falling behind in the rest. A lot of it depends on whether the game was optimized to run on amd/nvidia. You can't really go wrong with either.
  28. they're neck and neck but one is £15 cheaper so the GTX is the obvious choice.

    Mainly im trying to decide on motherboards.

    Between:

    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Socket 1155 Motherboard
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z68ap-d3-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-vga-on-board-atx

    Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Socket 1155 Motherboard
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z68-v-lx-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

    AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, DDR3, PCI Express 3.0, 7.1 HD Audio, ATX, ASRock On/Off Play Technology)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005N5Q2MW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=08S098XEJD5X481PDYQV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
  29. Don't go with the Asus because of 16x/4x. the biggest drawback of the asrock is that there are no internal usb 3.0 headers (important if case has front panel usb 3.0 only) . If that;s an issue go with gigabyte.
  30. ScrewySqrl said:
    bf3 is gpu bound, with almost no difference between an athlon II and an i7-3xxx

    in other gams, a Pentium G820 blows the 8150 away


    how does it blow it away? on paper?
  31. bf2player1978 said:
    how does it blow it away? on paper?



    like this:



    860: 35.2, 8120: 27



    860: 47.6, 8120 37.7
  32. hey screw, thats a funny diagram u got there. since i have skyrim and i play it on ultra and get 60 fps on my crappy 8120 !
  33. 13lackOut said:
    Hello,

    I'm looking to build my first gaming pc within the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide between AMD and intel.
    I am reusing a case/hdd/diskdrive.

    AMD Build

    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/f0eeaf67a03c46e9a53e700ad8e1fc3a

    Intel Build

    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/4852167c311746568af8522c357bca48

    not currently planning on Overclocking but maybe in the future. Main use will be gaming (bf3) and general.

    Any advice is appreciated,

    Thanks :bounce:



    For Gaming I recommend i5 2500K and a Z68 chipset motherboard.
  34. intel build i3 2120 kicks ass ,easily beats amd counterparts at the same price tag
  35. The intel build will be better in ganes that cant use multiple cpu cores .

    The examples above of Skyrim and Starcraft both use old DX 9 game engines .
    And they definitely run better on the intel architecture

    Pretty much everything else will run just as well or better on an AMD FX chip . The 6300 is massively more powerful than the intel dual cores and costs about the same .
    At current prices the intel makes sense if you want to play skyrim 100% of the time , or you are brain dead
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Intel AMD Systems