HD6850 trouble

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Ok, so me and my brother both have the same XFX HD6850 graphics cards in our systems. About a week ago my Brother came to me and said that he can hear a strange noise coming from his computer, so I went check. It turned out that it's the graphics card. At first I thought it was the fan on the GPU, so I turned the fan speed all the way up and I couldn't hear that noise. So my Brother booted into both Skyrim and GTA IV and the card started making the noise again and once you close down the game, the noise gets a little bit worse for a few seconds and then stops. So, I put his card in my computer and he put mine in his. My brother booted GTA IV and Skyrim using my card, and it didn't make the noise. I ran Heaven DX11 Benchmark 2.5 with his card in my system and it made that noise.

Do you think the card might be faulty? Or could it be something else?

Cheers fellow Geeks!

It does sound like the card is defective and should be returned for a RMA. How long have you had the video card and is there any warrenty left. If there is coverage under the warrenty then you should call the tech support and start the RMA process.

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
The card is around 2-3 months old. I don't know about the warranty. I'll have to ask my brother when I see him.

And just another question: what is the RMA process?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Yea, sounds like your card is "buzzing"... caused by faulty electronics on the GPU board. RMA is pretty simple... just go to the manufacturers website and you should be able to find 'Warranty' or 'Tech Support' information.. The site should guide you through the process pretty easily.

Most cards will have at least a 1 year warranty by default(as long as it isn't a refurb or something).

With the RMA process you have to start by calling thier tech support to open up a support ticket then once you have that ticket number and the support person can't help you then you call customer service and start the RMA process. In most cases you have to pay for shipping one way , there are occasions where you will get a company to pay for both ways but that is rare.