Leon@rd

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I have a few questions about this build:

4hy33m.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/4hy33m.jpg

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138332
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116409&Tpk=g530

1. Would my old PSU be compatible with it? It's a 300W from my old HP (that has a MicroATX motherboard); model# ATX-300-12Z.

2. Would I be able to use the new motherboard's DVI & VGA outlets at the same time (i.e., two clone monitors)?

3. Is the CPU compatible with the motherboard?

4. Will the new motherboard fit in my old HP case? The HP's motherboard is a MicroATX as stated above. Also, the new motherboard's dimensions are actually a bit smaller than the old/current one.

5. Is there anything I'm missing? Or do you have any other suggestions/recommendations, etc.? I just want a system that is fast for basic programs like firefox (with multiple tabs), adobe reader, etc. running at the same time (not for gaming). Right now my PC slows with multiple tabs on firefox, etc. Here's my current system: HP PC, HP Motherboard

Help is greatly appreciated.

Wolfshadw

Titan
1) Probably, but no guarantees.
2) Unlikely, but not a definite. Depends on the motherboard (read the manual).
3) Yes.
4) As long as both board meet the MicroATX standards, the new board will fit within the old case.
5) Your old hard drive will most likely not work with your new motherboard without a format and re-install of the operating system. If you only have system restore disk(s) and not true OS disk, you'll need to purchase one.

Additionally, I don't see this as much of an upgrade. The specs for your current system only state 1GB of RAM installed. Have you installed more RAM? For your usage, your current system (with sufficient RAM) should be more than enough. As far as dual monitors go, I'd just add a discrete graphics card (if you don't have one already).

-Wolf sends

Leon@rd

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you Wolf. I haven't installed more ram, still just 1gb. I figured spending a little more on a new mobo, cpu, etc. would be better than upgrading old ram (ddr2).

Do you think if I upgraded just the ram my computer wouldn't slow down so much?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I know that if you added more RAM to your system, it wouldn't slow down so much. For a Windows XP install, the minimum RAM you want installed is 2GB. For a Windows Vista install, the minimum RAM you want installed in 3GB.

My recommendation would be to replace your current RAM installation with two sets of 2x1GB DDR2-667 RAM kits (total 4GB) like this one.

-Wolf sends

Leon@rd

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you again Wolf. But you don't think I'd be better off upgrading the mobo, so I can get DDR3 RAM instead? 4 GB of DDR3 ram is cheaper than ddr2 and it's much faster, no? I also like watching videos and such as well btw.

If I keep the current mobo, what kind of video card do you recommend for a dual monitor set-up? Anything cheaper than this? What about if I wanted to use it for gaming (on low settings)? I was looking at GeForce 8800 & 9800.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Upgrading the motherboard means also upgrading the CPU, RAM, and OS as well. Based on what your listed previously, that's $220 vs. $60 for the RAM upgrade. The $60 RAM upgrade would certainly be more than sufficient for your originally mentioned usage as well as watching videos. For dual monitors, that HD5450 would be fine.

Now, if you want to turn this into a modest gaming system, then yes, a full upgrade would be in order, but a complete build would be better. In addition to the upgrades you originally listed and the OS Disk I previously mentioned, you'd have to add a new power supply and a decent graphics card. The Geforce cards you mention are older and I'd probably look for something newer, depending on budget.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Personally, I haven't noticed a difference, but we're talking about different platforms. My system with DDR3 is based on a CoreI5 Socket 1156 board. My DDR2 system is based on a Core2Quad Socket 775 board.

Can't really do a direct comparison between the two.

-Wolf sends

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

Pardon me for butting in. While there *is* a speed increase from a benchmark standpoint but, all else being equal, you wouldn't be able to see a difference. Think along the lines of, it takes 20 minutes to convert a movie to burn to DVD. You magically swap the DDR2 out for DDR3 using all the same hardware otherwise. Now it takes 19 minutes to convert the movie. You wouldn't notice the speed difference in daily use.

Leon@rd

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you MISRy. I don't have a problem converting video. My main problem is my computer slows down when running multiple programs. If I have Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, and Firefox running (with 10+ tabs open) at the same time, my computer slows down quite a bit. I guess it would still slow down even with a new mobo, ram, & cpu.