Sign in with
Your question

New build is freezing randomly

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2012 12:26:36 AM

Hi, I just recently built my first desktop computer. My problem is it seems to be freezing randomly. I've tried running memtest to check my ram but the system freezes on me. I've also had it freeze while I was looking through my BIOS, which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

Other details:
-It locked up earlier today, but after I restarted it ran just fine for a couple more hours and didn't lock up while it sat idle for most of the day
- When it locked up on me just recently (after using it for several hours) it continued to lock up within a few minutes of starting the computer after that
-It doesn't seem to lock up because of any particular thing i'm doing. I've had it lock up in BIOS, during memtest, while loading windows 7, while playing a game, while browsing the net, etc.
-According to HWmonitor all the temperatures appear to be fine. My CPU and GPU sit in the low to mid 30's with casual use.

-I haven't attempted any sort of over clocking yet. The only change i've made is I set my RAM timings to 9-9-9-24 (what it's suppose to be) because the mobo's "auto" was setting them at 11-11-11-28. Strangely enough it was freezing before I made this change, and after I made the change it seemed to fix the freezing for about a day. I'm just plain 'ol stumped.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the hardware:

CPU-Intel Core i5 2500k (3.3 Ghz quad core)

GPU-MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 1024MB

Mobo-GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HD- Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Tower:HAF 922 mid tower

Power supply(and dvd writer): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Accessories:

Liquid cooling- Corsair H60 liquid cooling
March 15, 2012 1:11:32 AM

update all drivers and the bios, its most likely a memory related problem. Try booting with only one stick of ram, if it lock up again change the stick and boot up with one stick again. Also make sure to update the firmware on your ssd.!
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:47:16 AM

All my drivers and bios are updated. My SSD is as well, but I just read about some problems with the latest firmware (1.3.3) causing freezes on Corsair SSDs. I posted on their forums asking for advice on whether or not I should degrade the firmware to 1.3.2 and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm a little confused on my ram situation here. The problem has happened while both ram sticks are in, and while either one of them is in.

I managed to get 1 full pass on memtest with one of the ram sticks in, but i've always froze before being able to do it with both. For however long it has run (usually around 15 minutes before freezing) i've never run into an error on memtest.

The ram is put in according to the mobos recommended setup. I've had the freezes while letting the mobo decide the timing on my ram (it chooses 11-11-11-28), and while i've set the timing myself to what it's suppose to me (9-9-9-24). I just don't know what else I can do.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 7:10:08 PM

Update:

Okay, so I managed to get my computer running for awhile. Using one stick of ram the computer ran for about 4 hours while gaming, and I ran it all last night on memtest (no errors).

So this morning I thought I would put the other stick of ram in to confirm it's bad. After switching out the ram, the computer started up and shut down almost instantly. I took out that ram and put in the ram that was running fine all night and the computer STILL started up and shut down almost instantly (boot loop).

Because of this, I don't think my ram is the problem. Now no matter which ram I put in and what order I put it in the computer starts up and shuts down instantly.

From here, I think my only problems could be my PSU/mobo/cpu (am I right to assume this?). Are there any tests I can run to see if any of them are bad? I don't have another desktop around to switch out parts.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 10:14:54 PM

Double check RAM voltage. Set it manually to what is on the your specs (1.5V?).

loosen the timings a bit -- there are multiple JEDEC values on your dimm. A tool like CPU-z will display them on the SPD tab. Google CPU-z and download. Try a few different ones SET MANUALLY in your BIOS. See if things stabilize. "The only change i've made is I set my RAM timings to 9-9-9-24 (what it's suppose to be) because the mobo's "auto" was setting them at 11-11-11-28." Bet you'll see 11s in at least one of the JEDEC values. The 9-9-9-24 is the fastest your mem is guaranteed to run.

Your MB and DIMMs support XMP. Read about XMP here: http://forum.corsair.com/upload/Using%20XMP.pdf

Here is sample JEDEC from my older (but loved) stock clocked i7-920 system

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel X58 rev. 13
Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 8192 MBytes
Channels Triple
Memory Frequency 532.0 MHz (2:8)
CAS# latency (CL) 7.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7
Cycle Time (tRAS) 19
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 59
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 2128.0 MHz

Memory SPD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR3
Module format UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Elpida (7F7FFE0000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part number EBJ21UE8BDF0-DJ-F
Serial number 1B0Axxxx
Manufacturing date Week 41/Year 09
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz
JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz