Sign in with
Your question

Macbook Air first or custom built PC first?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2012 9:54:28 PM

I have recently decided to sell my current MacBook Pro for some extra cash on a new computer. I have decided to build a PC for mainly gaming and heavy programs, but I also require the use of a laptop for school and other purposes. So with that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to get both. I've already compiled the list of parts for my PC and I have already chosen the MacBook Air 11" as my laptop choice (I'm an Apple guy so it's a must). The problem is I don't know which product to buy first. When I purchase one computer, I won't be able to buy the other for a while. So I don't know if I should get the Air first and enjoy the capabilities of a laptop for school and mobility, or to get the PC parts first and enjoy having an amazing rig set up in my room. (Note that the school I am at has computers available for use, but I like using my own.) I really am going back and forth on which to get first, any tips? Thanks.

More about : macbook air custom built

March 15, 2012 12:34:15 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Tecmo34
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2012 12:54:25 AM

Just choose what's most important for you. I was in the same situation and went with a custom rig and a cheap 11" netbook which does everything I need it to.
March 15, 2012 1:38:51 AM

Custom PC and dual boot windows 7 and OSX Lion. Im quad booting OSX Snow, Lion Win 7, and Win 8 on my rig.
March 15, 2012 1:57:28 AM

custoooom! I say this for 2 reasons. 1) (this is personal) I think the macbook air is a POS and second, I think you will be happier with a beast of a computer sitting in your room than a $1000 frisbee with a fruit on the side of it.
March 15, 2012 2:16:05 AM

I would surely enjoy the pleasure of having a great built in my room, which is personal, made of your likes, doing what you want it to do. And well, is a must for you your MacBook? great! it wont do the half of things that your custom-awesome build would do. Apple products are great, i love my iphone 4s but well i like most personal builds

Actually the best thing about custom PCs is that you made it, you choice it. If you are able, you build it yourself and if are that kind of person, you will enjoy it most than even using it.

Some people (like me) are more proud and happy with their custom computer than they 55" 3D TV at theirs house, even if the pc cost a 1/4 of that TV.
March 15, 2012 2:22:18 AM

horaciopz said:
I would surely enjoy the pleasure of having a great built in my room, which is personal, made of your likes, doing what you want it to do. And well, is a must for you your MacBook? great! it wont do the half of things that your custom-awesome build would do. Apple products are great, i love my iphone 4s but well i like most personal builds

Actually the best thing about custom PCs is that you made it, you choice it. If you are able, you build it yourself and if are that kind of person, you will enjoy it most than even using it.

Some people (like me) are more proud and happy with their custom computer than they 55" 3D TV at theirs house, even if the pc cost a 1/4 of that TV.

I completely agree - that's why I got into this - if you build it yourself, you get that "I did it" feeling that you don't get from a Macbook or anything else for that matter. I have a laptop, sure, but I love using both of my custom-built systems and I'll never buy a PC from a big box vendor (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) ever again. I like having total control over my hardware and you don't get that on a laptop you buy.

bobochez said:
custoooom! I say this for 2 reasons. 1) (this is personal) I think the macbook air is a POS and second, I think you will be happier with a beast of a computer sitting in your room than a $1000 frisbee with a fruit on the side of it.

Not to get off topic or anything but I finally ditched my iPhone on Friday for a Samsung Galaxy and I have to say being free of the Apple "cult" is quite nice.
March 15, 2012 7:37:39 PM

The only thing holding me back from building the PC first is that I won't have a laptop that I can take with me places. I don't actually NEED a laptop right now, but it would be nice to take places. But then after thinking that, I also want to game. hard. :)  So I can't decide? Any further suggestions?
March 15, 2012 7:49:45 PM

Custom PC and a PC laptop ;) 
March 15, 2012 7:56:48 PM

You are willing to pay for a Macbook and you want to play, so get an Alienware. Those are "good" gaming laptops. Not as powerful as a custom build could be at the same range of price, but its kind of "premium" stuff lol

And well, just get your custom PC and later get your New Apple stuff.
March 15, 2012 7:59:27 PM

I understand many of you on this thread have opinions on my hardware/product choice, but please, that's not what I'm asking for help on. I've already made my mind up on what products I want, I just don't know what to buy first.
March 15, 2012 8:26:15 PM

And we are saying that you will feel better with a new custum build PC. How did you feel when you get your 1st Macbook? awesome right? as I felt when I got my Iphone, just because where i live its kind "diferent". But When you make something completly by your likes and expectation, its diferent.

Theres not many things you can build yourself and use it as you want. Most of thing are pre-made with standarts and stuff, even the food.

Just play with that, just start to image what you can get with your budget. How much is it? $600? $1000? $3000? Theres everything for everyone. Wanna get an awesome buld for 1k? getting a 4 core processor with a dual GPU and watercooling making everything sexy and quiet... Or get an awesome mid-tower with air cooling and able to play everything at ultra with so much eye candy that you wouldnt even consider coing less than that on future.

Think about it. We are nobody, our likes wont matter, here only maters your desicion, and the only way we can help you out is giving you what 1 thing would offer and the other would not. Also ourselves experiences, that if you want, those will count.
March 15, 2012 8:59:35 PM

Choose between the two? Intel or AMD?
March 15, 2012 9:13:27 PM

Instead of the MacBook, have you considered ultrabooks(tm, :lol: )?
I'm an ASUS fan, check out their ZenBook :) 

Otherwise, +1 for the idea of getting a custom PC then the laptop (MacBook, Netbook, Ultrabook, whatever really), for all the reasons posted above. :D 
March 15, 2012 9:32:14 PM

It is very satisfying to sit down at that machine every day, and it works, all the time, and you built it!
!