Sign in with
Your question

First build. advice?

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2012 12:57:11 AM

Hello,
okay so, am trying to build a computer for the first time, am not a gamer nor i edit videos & design stuff.. i just want to build a mid-range computer, i'll probably download NFS: the run but that's it.
but am thinking of getting into OC'ing & see how its like.

here are my components:

CASE: CoolerMaster HAF X 942 ( wanted the 600t white but couldn't find it here, & amazon shipping costs 89$ !!!!!!!!!! )
MoBo: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4
CPU: i5-2500K
RAM: corsair vengeance 8GB (4x2) 1600 (these don't show as compatible in the corsair website & the gigabyte website, but i asked the guy in the shop & he said it'll work fine, is he right?)
PSU: GIGABYTE odin pro 800w (due to lack of money, i wanted a corsair AX750 but its too expensive)
GRAPHICS: sapphire radeon HD 6870 (also, due to lack of money, i wanted a GTX 560 ti)
HDD: 1TB seagate caviar black
SSD: crucial M4 64GB boot drive (is 64 enough?)
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster hyper 212+

& i guess that's it, i hope i was detailed enough.
& sorry for any newbie mistakes
any help/advice is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

More about : build advice

March 15, 2012 1:02:26 AM

Nice build man. That will run great. and damn if you're not going to be playing any games but maybe nfs that's pretty overkill but overkill is good if you can afford it. but yes that's a great build.
Related resources
March 15, 2012 1:04:56 AM

Knowing your primary budget and local availability would help to suggest better parts.

It looks good but I'd cut way down on the case and motherboard and invest more in the GPU and PSU.

Cut the case to the HAF 912 - which will save you about $150, and cutting the motherboard to the UD3H will save you $50.

Invest that money you'd save on the motherboard and upgrade your PSU to a Corsair TX750, and use the money you'd save on the case to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 560 TI.

The GPU and PSU are the most important parts of any build bar none and you do not to skimp or compromise in these areas if you can possibly help it.
March 15, 2012 1:06:18 AM

hayesreddoch said:
Nice build man. That will run great. and damn if you're not going to be playing any games but maybe nfs that's pretty overkill but overkill is good if you can afford it. but yes that's a great build.

:bounce:  thank you man .. am sorry but what did you mean by overkill? you saying the card wont be able to play it?! D:
March 15, 2012 1:06:27 AM

hayesreddoch said:

:bounce:  thank you man .. am sorry but what did you mean by overkill? you saying the card wont be able to play it?! D:
March 15, 2012 1:06:54 AM

hayesreddoch said:

March 15, 2012 1:08:57 AM

Nice triple reply I think he gets the point....ahmad0k...
March 15, 2012 1:10:53 AM

lowjack989 said:
Lose that giant case...its BIG...GINORMAGANTUAN...try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Case-RC-69...

I don't like that Vengenance series RAM but to each his own

everything else looks proper

i want a case with a side panel because i'm going to put cathodes in there & i want to look at my handy work :p  .. why dont you like it? whats your preference?
March 15, 2012 1:15:48 AM

Its BIG for one thing...I like minimalism...IMHO it looks gawdy....I like the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced you can get it at the link in the other reply I posted above...It sleek, has lots of room, its fairly cheap, its solid as a rock...I personally like Lian-Li Aluminium cases but they are pricey and they probably wouldn't be available through amazon at your locale
March 15, 2012 1:23:10 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Knowing your primary budget and local availability would help to suggest better parts.

It looks good but I'd cut way down on the case and motherboard and invest more in the GPU and PSU.

Cut the case to the HAF 912 - which will save you about $150, and cutting the motherboard to the UD3H will save you $50.

Invest that money you'd save on the motherboard and upgrade your PSU to a Corsair TX750, and use the money you'd save on the case to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 560 TI.

The GPU and PSU are the most important parts of any build bar none and you do not to skimp or compromise in these areas if you can possibly help it.

my primary budget is around 4700 AED (1200-1300$) but i live in dubai & everything is doubled in price here so it wont be much of use, i searched the whole country for the 912 i couldn't find it anywhere & i cant buy it from amazon because the shipping rates are HORRIBLE.

the TX750 costs 700 here that will blow my budget to pieces, the gigabyte PSU is the only cheap semi modular PSU i could find. & i dont think the TX is modular right?

i already bought the motherboard. (stupid i know, i should have bought everything at once)

the zotac 560 ti AMP! could not find it here which means i have to buy it from amazon for 209$ + 80-90$ international shipping, thats almost 300$ (1100 AED)

so yah... :'|
March 15, 2012 1:25:11 AM

lowjack989 said:
Nice triple reply I think he gets the point....ahmad0k...

it kept saying server is busy so i kept refreshing X'D
March 15, 2012 1:28:36 AM

lowjack989 said:
Its BIG for one thing...I like minimalism...IMHO it looks gawdy....I like the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced you can get it at the link in the other reply I posted above...It sleek, has lots of room, its fairly cheap, its solid as a rock...I personally like Lian-Li Aluminium cases but they are pricey and they probably wouldn't be available through amazon at your locale

the one you suggested looks awesome, but no side window D:
the lian-li cases are no where to be found in the middle east .. & am not going to use amazon because the rates are just horrible.

March 15, 2012 1:38:14 AM

WoW shipping rate internationally are crazy...I like no side window so when I do pull the side off its a surprise at how nice it looks..To each his own though....That HAF 942 case is really, really, really, BIG
March 15, 2012 1:55:10 AM

lowjack989 said:
WoW shipping rate internationally are crazy...I like no side window so when I do pull the side off its a surprise at how nice it looks..To each his own though....That HAF 942 case is really, really, really, BIG

yah man its a minimum of 50$ !! plus they dont ship it to my door they'll drop it off in a place that is 2 hours away from me -__-

to be honest with you, i dont like the HAF series that much but i have to work with what i got, my heart is really set on either the 600t white or the 650D .. those two are SLEEK!

but overall, is it a good build?
March 15, 2012 2:23:08 AM

Yes it is a very solid build indeed
March 15, 2012 2:26:03 AM

ahmad0k said:
yah man its a minimum of 50$ !! plus they dont ship it to my door they'll drop it off in a place that is 2 hours away from me -__-

to be honest with you, i dont like the HAF series that much but i have to work with what i got, my heart is really set on either the 600t white or the 650D .. those two are SLEEK!

but overall, is it a good build?

It's a pretty good build - I would have scaled the case and motherboard back a bit in favor of a better PSU and GPU as I suggested earlier. To me those are the two most important parts of any build and you don't want to skimp or compromise in those areas if you can help it.

The 600T is a great case, I have one and it's one of the best cases I have ever owned - plenty of fans and ventilation, enough room for the biggest video cards, heat sinks, PSUs, you name it - Corsair thought of everything.
March 15, 2012 2:39:43 AM

g-unit1111 said:
It's a pretty good build - I would have scaled the case and motherboard back a bit in favor of a better PSU and GPU as I suggested earlier. To me those are the two most important parts of any build and you don't want to skimp or compromise in those areas if you can help it.

The 600T is a great case, I have one and it's one of the best cases I have ever owned - plenty of fans and ventilation, enough room for the biggest video cards, heat sinks, PSUs, you name it - Corsair thought of everything.

i agree, they are the most important parts in any system, but i cant help it :p 

i love how the 600t looks but sadly i cant get my hands on one. but i feel the HAF X will grow on me its all good, i just hate that fan at the side they ruined the window >,< i know its for the GPU but still >,<

thanks a lot man you've been a great help

just one last question though, is the 6870 good for day to day use + moderate gaming?

March 15, 2012 2:41:56 AM

lowjack989 said:
Yes it is a very solid build indeed

thank you very much man been a great help :D 
March 15, 2012 3:02:09 AM

ahmad0k said:
i agree, they are the most important parts in any system, but i cant help it :p 

i love how the 600t looks but sadly i cant get my hands on one. but i feel the HAF X will grow on me its all good, i just hate that fan at the side they ruined the window >,< i know its for the GPU but still >,<

thanks a lot man you've been a great help

just one last question though, is the 6870 good for day to day use + moderate gaming?

It will be fine for now, I'd suggest getting a second one somewhere down the road for Crossfire.
March 15, 2012 3:21:41 AM

g-unit1111 said:
It will be fine for now, I'd suggest getting a second one somewhere down the road for Crossfire.

planning on either saving up money & getting a 7950 or get another 6870 for crossfire but still researching the advantages of it.

thanks man
March 15, 2012 4:52:41 AM

I would not recommend CFing the 6870. The 68xx series has been known to have many bugs and tons of stuttering.
!