Need help/advice on possible upgrade to gtx 580

Matt89

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey everyone, been reading the forums for anything I need on Video cards etc but wanted to actually post this question since I'm not sure what to do.

I'm playing Star Wars the old Republic right now and I'm not happy with my computers performance on it, I'm getting on average about 35-40 FPS with everything on the lowest settings and vsync and shadows turned off.

I have 16GB of DDR3 ram(not sure if it's pc3-12800 or pc3-10600), a AMD Phenom(tm) II 965 processor, a MSI 890GXM-G65 (MS-7642) Motherboard, and evga's superclocked version of the gtx 560 ti.

I thought this would be able to run the game on max settings but I can't even get off low and not sure what to do. I play on 1600x900 resolution(dont have a very good monitor right now).

So I was considering getting another superclocked 560 ti but I dont really want to deal with SLI configs and all that so jumped to potentially buying a gtx 580 but not sure if it will really help. All the nvidia drivers are up to date also.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Also loading into new areas is very slow, not to important but goes along with what I'm dissapointed about.

Hey matt, I'm running the reference version of that card ( Non superclocked) I am going to guess that your CPU could be bottle necking your processor. Im running 8GB of 1600mhz memory idk what your memory is clocked at. Im using a 955 which is a step below yours. It could or could not be a driver issue. i know i ran the system now playing oblivion and it for some reason only got about 30-40 fps. could just be NVIDIA hasnt deleloped much of a driver support for it. Even tho i seriously doubt it. I'll PM you if i can find anything online about it. But if you get a GTX 580 your possibly gonna bottleneck your CPU. a 570 would be better for you, as well as save you some 200$

Matt89

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
What do you mean by bottlenecking the processor? I've heard the term before but dont know what it means. Also I'm running a 875W power supply, dont know if that helps or not.

Could I possibly just have to much ram maybe too? If I remeber right I think its 1333mhz speed on the ram.