What is wrong with my computer?

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I recently moved and my desktop was transported by a moving company and I recently found some issues. I normally use the computer to play online games such as World of Warcraft and Diablo 3. The first problem I noticed was that the screen would go black, not the monitor, but the screen. It would literally boot me out of whatever I was doing and showed me a black screen. I assumed I connected something wrong and redid everything. I got it to turn on and stay on, but something weird was happening with the graphics, where everything was very large and my WoW UI was messed up very badly. I was able to work around that by changing my resolution. My FPS, which was normally 50-60 fps before the move, went down to around 15-20 fps. I didn't know what was going on so I decided to check my computer to see if something was wrong. I went into BIOS, after a reset, and noticed my CPU temp was unusually high. I do not remember what it normally was, but it went to 103 C before I decided to stop messing around and to turn it off. I realize that is very high and have no idea what I can do to fix this.

Also my graphics in WoW seemed to be worse than usual.

Can anybody help fix any of these things? I would assume the high cpu temperature would be the highest on the priority list. Help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

JohnyGt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
First, make sure none of your internal connections, like the CPU heat sink fan, came unplugged. Same with GPU-make sure it's still seated, and that all power connectors still attached. That's where I'd start.

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Just checked everything, for a second time, and the CPU heat sink fan is still working. Well, it is still spinning. The GPU is still seated and all the power connecters are indeed still connected. Turned on my computer again and it quickly went up to 90+ C and I shut it off.

Any other suggestions?

the legs of the cpu heat sink are not down.looks like the legs or the clips may have pop lose in shipping. try pressing the heat sink down. your temps should be in the 30-50c range depending on your case flow and room temps. once you stop your cpu from over heating try reloading your video drivers.

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Not that either, I've taken the CPU heat sink off 3 times today, and made sure every leg is secure.

it it not that then use the f5 in the bios and put it back to factory default. the cpu voltage might be set to high or there an issue with the voltage reg of the ps or mb. I would also check to see with fantach or another fan speed program see that the cpu fan is spinning up to speed..when fan get old the bearings can fail and the fan not spin or spin real slow.

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
This is odd. I downloaded a fan speed program and it only picks up 1 fan and it says it is at ~2000 RPM, which I assume is enough. But all the temperature are between 25-44 with the Core 0 and Core 1 going up to 55 every once in a while and slowly falling back down. But everything I look at the temperature in BIOS is says 90-100 and the CPU itself gets incredibly hot. I guess it just gets hot on start up, but I feel like that isn't normal. About to check video drivers

Edit- I just tried to see if my FPS would change in WoW and the Core temp went up to ~78 C So I'm not sure what happened. That still seems very high.

mojito0

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
you didn'y mention what CPU you have and how many years you have it, and I saw you removes the heatsink like 3-4 times ? Try re-applying some thermalpaste and see if the temperature will drop.

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
My CPU is an Intel Core I3-2120, I have had it for less than a year. I will go out and buy some thermal paste, but is there any reason for the loss of performance? Going from 60 fps on a high population server to 15-20 is a pretty big drop.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

if the cpu hits a certain temperature it will throttle it and eventually shut it down if it gets way too hot

this means that you wont be able to do as much e.g. fps will drop

its a good idea not to keep removing/reaplying a fan because you will be making the connection between cpu-heatsink worse

there not designed to be continuously reseated

Thaustin14

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Ah okay, if the thermal paste does not cool it down what would my next course of action be?