Sign in with
Your question

X6 freezing constantly

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2012 4:22:31 AM

Hey
I have a X6 processor with a Ga-880gm-usb3 and i overclocked to 3.2 no problem and tested with prime for 12 hours no problem. About a month later i got all kinds of errors,bluescreens and my computer would freeze and the program running doesnt respond for about 5 seconds an this happened twice a minute literally. So i reverted to stock and still had the freezes but no errors or blue screens. Im still at stock and it always freezes!
Please help!
Thanks in advance

More about : freezing constantly

a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 8:53:03 AM

Check your CPU temps, and try to install a fresh WIN.
m
l
June 29, 2012 1:19:00 PM

Ok, thanks
A quick question, if i disable 2 cores will my CPU perform faster? Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 3:47:12 PM

I've not tried this before, but I guess it won't make much a difference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 4:00:55 PM

what is the CPU? is it a retail x6 or an x4 unlocked to x6?
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:23:54 PM

its a retail x6 i will try a fresh windows install and run memtest when i install it
thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 7:26:31 PM

BSDs are usually the result of bad memory. Run memtest for sure to find out which stick is bad and then either replace it via warranty or buy new memory to replace it.
m
l
a c 179 à CPUs
June 29, 2012 8:56:41 PM

Overclocking is not risk free. At best it will shorten the lifespan of the component, at worst it will outright destroy it. It won't show up right away but it will happen. How much it shortens the lifespan depends on the chip quality, power delivery quality, degree of overclocking, and care put into overclocking.

There have been several people on the forum recently with Phenom II based processors that have had them crash and burn after only a small amount of tweaking. There are always a few lemons in every batch and AMD's Global Foundries seems to be more prone to this than Intel.

Stability doesn't mean anything when excessive currents are eating away at the chip. What is stable today may not be stable or even functional at all a month from now. Experiencing sudden and unexpected system failure after a month of overclocking is very indicative of something having gone seriously wrong.
m
l
June 29, 2012 9:55:23 PM

Pinhedd said:
Overclocking is not risk free. At best it will shorten the lifespan of the component, at worst it will outright destroy it. It won't show up right away but it will happen. How much it shortens the lifespan depends on the chip quality, power delivery quality, degree of overclocking, and care put into overclocking.

There have been several people on the forum recently with Phenom II based processors that have had them crash and burn after only a small amount of tweaking. There are always a few lemons in every batch and AMD's Global Foundries seems to be more prone to this than Intel.

Stability doesn't mean anything when excessive currents are eating away at the chip. What is stable today may not be stable or even functional at all a month from now. Experiencing sudden and unexpected system failure after a month of overclocking is very indicative of something having gone seriously wrong.

+1 Overclocking can destroy a cpu!

I built a friend a rig with an athlon2 x4 630 (basically a phenom with l3 cache disabled) around 18 months ago and it has suddenly stopped working. And another friend who built his own rig with a 955be phenom has just started acting up!

There is certainly a trend going on as to how and why these Amd chips are starting to fail!

I hope my phenom2 965be wont start exhibiting these issues as it is getting around the 18 month age!

Does anybody Know how long the Amd warranty period is:) 
m
l
a c 179 à CPUs
June 29, 2012 10:35:36 PM

xxm4ch1nexx said:
+1 Overclocking can destroy a cpu!

I built a friend a rig with an athlon2 x4 630 (basically a phenom with l3 cache disabled) around 18 months ago and it has suddenly stopped working. And another friend who built his own rig with a 955be phenom has just started acting up!

There is certainly a trend going on as to how and why these Amd chips are starting to fail!

I hope my phenom2 965be wont start exhibiting these issues as it is getting around the 18 month age!

Does anybody Know how long the Amd warranty period is:) 

Industry standard warranty for retail ASICs (not OEM) is typically 3 years. Both AMD and Intel have 3 year warranties on all of their retail processors so far as I know
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:49:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
Industry standard warranty for retail ASICs (not OEM) is typically 3 years. Both AMD and Intel have 3 year warranties on all of their retail processors so far as I know

Thanks put my mind at ease! :bounce: 
m
l
June 29, 2012 11:04:44 PM

Thanks guys.
how do i use memtest?
m
l
June 29, 2012 11:26:22 PM

racoon said:
Thanks guys.
how do i use memtest?

Download the iso burn the iso to cd boot from cd and select 1st option on menu.
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:30:12 PM

thanks.
wich menu are you talking about? could you please send me a link to a guide or anything
thanks in advance
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:51:35 AM

I run memtest twice, No errors or anything. I guess im screwed and have to change my X6 right?
m
l
a c 179 à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:14:33 AM

racoon said:
I run memtest twice, No errors or anything. I guess im screwed and have to change my X6 right?

Before you do that, try installing an OS to a different hard drive. If memtest doesn't complain that means that your memory isn't broken. It also means that your CPU isn't horribly unstable (memtest tests quality, not stability). By process of elimination this means that your hard drive could be dying, which is consistent with abnormally slow application responses, and BSODs
m
l
July 4, 2012 8:30:18 PM

Thanks.
How do i check if my HDD is dying? im looking some info in google but i dont know wich type of test should i run?
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
July 4, 2012 8:44:13 PM

racoon said:
Thanks.
How do i check if my HDD is dying? im looking some info in google but i dont know wich type of test should i run?

All HDD manufacturers have drive diagnostic tools on their websites, you can run those.

One telltale sign of HDDs going bad is if you notice that the HDD activity LED is stuck on every time your system locks up for an unusually long time.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:34:24 AM

I downloaded Seagate Seatool and it says i am missing .NET framework. I installed it again and it didnt work so i used microsoft diagnostic tool and it didnt find any errors.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 12:39:42 AM

Hi :) 

Those sort of hesitations are usually a failing hard drive....run a hard drive test in DOS...Hirens cd etc....

AMD Warranties are ONE YEAR on OEM and 3 years on Retail boxed cpus...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 12:40:57 AM

racoon said:
I downloaded Seagate Seatool and it says i am missing .NET framework. I installed it again and it didnt work so i used microsoft diagnostic tool and it didnt find any errors.

Microsoft tools couldnt find their own rear end lol...

RUN A TEST IN DOS......NOT Windows....

m
l
a c 179 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 1:13:55 AM

racoon said:
Thanks.

Hard drives store information about their health internally using a technology called SMART:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

There are a number of programs which can read this information and give an approximation of hard drive health. Please note that these are only approximations as a hard drive could suffer mechanical failure at any time; similarly, accumulated errors can be bypassed and a hard drive may last many years without suffering more.

One of the best and simplest tools for reading hard drive health is called Crystal Disk Info. It's free too.

Brett928S2 said:

Microsoft tools couldnt find their own rear end lol...

RUN A TEST IN DOS......NOT Windows....

Windows does a pretty decent job of monitor hard drive health but it does a horrible job of reporting it. The actual errors will be buried in the event log. CHKDSK only checks the health of the file system, not the health of the hard drive(s) that the file system resides on.
m
l
July 6, 2012 2:30:33 PM

I downloaded crystal info and it siad my hdd was good
I just installed a fresh windows and i will try my pc later
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:58:31 PM

Do you have music up loud, perhaps with a sub ? Excessive vibrations on the hdd will cause this kind of a problem also.
m
l
!