Raidmax PSU VS Cougar (NON HEC VERSION) PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I work in a PC shop in a small town and only have 1 supplier with a limited variety of brand's to choose from (Cougar and Raidmax are the only good PSU's available the others are no name brand rubbish) and soon i have to put together a gaming rig for a client. I personally have a Cougar CM1000 watt and have no problems. So my main question is which brand should it use? To into account i live in south africa and dont have the insanely large selections in EU and US. And yes i have tried getting different brands my supplier but its always "no sorry cant help you". Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Yeah, you can't really go wrong with Corsair PSUs.
And your clients would also sleep peacefully knowing that a very trustworthy PSU is running their PCs.:D
All of Cougar's PSU's are made by HEC who they partnered with in 1979. Several Cougar models have issues with voltage regulation and efficiency. That being said, the GX series is quite good. Check out reviews before buying Cougar because this is a hit or miss brand.
Raidmax is a company which makes pretty good value cases and is trying to improve over time. They are getting better in most areas but I would not recommend any of their power supplies. That being said Hard OCP gave the 1000w model a pass based on the dollar value but did not call it particularly good with several problems including not living up to the advertised efficiency. I would label Raidmax with a buyer's caution.

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
This is the power supply iam currently using, i havent had any issues yet but check out the review. I dont think all of Cougars PSUs are awful. I mean they not the best in the world but the one listed below gets the job done had it for a year and a half and havent had any problems.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/cougar_1000cm_1000w_psu_revisited/5

I was speaking with another Supplier who can get Corsair PSU's but are they actually any good? i mean i have heard good things just want to make sure before i put one of there PSU's in a clients new PC lol.

Corsair has some excellent PSUs - they have rocketed to the top of quality PSU re-sellers. An excellent source for reviews and information on PSUs is realhardtechx's database: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page998.htm Between that and google searches for reviews you should be able to get a really solid idea of PSU quality prior to purchases. If you add Corsair to your inventory, then go with the Builder (CX) or Gaming Series (GS) for your 'value' line and the Enthusiast (TX) line for higher quality / upper end. Most of the TX PSUs are made by Seasonic; arguably the finest PSU mfr in the world.

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I wish i could get Seasonic but they are almost non-existant in south africa i think theres only one Online retail store that sells them but they NEVER have stock its a really pity but looks like ill be able to get corsair from one of my other suppliers. thanks again

You don't have to buy a Seasonic labeled PSU to get PSU mfr by Seasonic. Corsair does not manufacture their own PSUs; they contract with OEM PSU mfrs to make PSUs and then Corsair slaps a Corsair label on them. They have a contract with Seasonic and Seasonic is the equipment mfr for Corsair's Enthusiast series of PSUs. The Enthusiasts PSUs are re-labeled Seasonic PSUs; Seasonic makes them but Corsair provides the customer support.

+1 all true ;)

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

^^Idiocy? :??:

The OP wasn't requesting a specific unit. A few cougar PSUs, including the one he owns, had decent reviews, so I gave him my opinion.
And where did I said that Corsair are PSU Manufacturers?

After the thread was solved, I see no reason for you redundant posts. :non:

There is nothing wrong with a little added education, and there is no need to be defensive here. You did a good job with the thread, and no one said otherwise.

Someone working in a PC shop that doesn't know a great deal about PSUs... a common thing, but we always want them to take away as much info as possible ;)

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
^^Idiocy? Don't act like a ass i was simply informing you :( so get off your high horse :pfff:
:lol:
No offence, But..., your info was quite unnecessary & seemed more like contradiction. Since rugger already shared this;

I didn't though it was necessary for me to add anything else.

There was no real need for your post, which looks like I provided all wrong info to the OP, which was not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.