Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to GTX 580 SLI (What to Expect?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2012 5:20:49 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week

BUDGET RANGE: USD $600

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming and Triple Monitor Setup (Have all three monitors already not 120hz or 3D)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5gb and Corsair 850TX 850W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel 2500K, HAF X, Kingston HyperX 8GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: US (Probably Amazon because everyone else charges me shipping including Newegg)

PARTS PREFERENCES: EVGA GTX 580 SC or any GTX 580 1.5gb that is compatible as long as I make them the same clock

OVERCLOCKING: Not right now, Maybe later on

SLI: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 3840 x 1080 (5760x1080 when I get the new card)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I was wondering if this make sense to you guys. I have wanted to buy a second video card for my computer and waited for Christmas, AMD 7970 launch and CES 2012 to see if Nvidia was going to budge on their cards and lower the price. It has not happened yet and I am thinking it will not happen until the new Kepler cards are released. I already have a third monitor that is just waiting on another card. So I found on a video card on Amazon Warehouse for cheap and was going to pull the trigger and then not look at prices until the new Kepler cards come out and sell my cards then (not going to get even 50% of what I paid I know) and then upgrade at a later point. What do you guys think?

Also anything I need that I know about SLI (this is my first time doing it) like incompatible programs/games with SLI or some I need for it (I heard something about SLI bridges but it seems like it is included from a google search?)
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 5:42:28 PM

"What to Expect" ... Awesome performance :) 

If you need the power and have found a second card cheap then its a no brainer as your sub system can support it with ease.

Almost all games work very well with SLI these days, you may find that new releases don't support SLI straight away, but that's usually resolved with the next driver release.

You didn't mention your motherboard, if your motherboard supports SLI (I'm assuming it does) then it should have come with an SLI bridge.
January 10, 2012 5:51:37 PM

Rustyy117 said:
"What to Expect" ... Awesome performance :) 

If you need the power and have found a second card cheap then its a no brainer as your sub system can support it with ease.

Almost all games work very well with SLI these days, you may find that new releases don't support SLI straight away, but that's usually resolved with the next driver release.

You didn't mention your motherboard, if your motherboard supports SLI (I'm assuming it does) then it should have come with an SLI bridge.

I had my computer built so they did not put the SLI in the box (I guess I could request them send it if I found a deal on a used one). I forgot to add my motherboard :pfff:  it is an Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 and thanks I think am going to pull the trigger by the end of this week if I don't get any reason not to.
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 6:00:09 PM

Yeah your mobo is fine, you should be able to source an SLI bridge on ebay.com

If you live in the UK I'll send you mine for free.
January 10, 2012 6:10:34 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Yeah your mobo is fine, you should be able to source an SLI bridge on ebay.com

If you live in the UK I'll send you mine for free.

I live on APO/Military base so they would charge you US shipping but thanks for offer and replies.
January 10, 2012 6:13:59 PM

Try to go with the same manufacturer. Even Toms has had problems with this in the past, so try to stick to dual cards, not like cards.
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 6:16:06 PM

headpiece747 said:
I live on APO/Military base so they would charge you US shipping but thanks for offer and replies.

Ah right ok, no worries hope you manage to sort one out and enjoy your GTX580 SLI.
January 10, 2012 6:27:37 PM

blacksci said:
Try to go with the same manufacturer. Even Toms has had problems with this in the past, so try to stick to dual cards, not like cards.

I was reading on here that it was ok but just to avoid the potential headache I will stick the same brand and model.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 7:49:01 PM

save the money. Kepler is gonna come out in 2-3 months and the new GTX 780 will be 50% better judging by early leaks. You can spend $600 at that time..and use the current GTX 580 for physx or sell it.

Another option is to buy 2x GTX 770s for $600+250 from selling the first card. Just another option. even 2x 7950s will be better for $800 total.

It's not that far out. Also you have to remember...the GTX 580 has 1.5gb of vram so at that triple 1080P resolution you won't be able to crank up the graphics features without low fps...then why spend extra $500 now?
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 8:00:25 PM

Oh sweet! I didn't know that kepler prices and performance information has been officially announced! :) 

Please post links *cough*
January 10, 2012 8:24:23 PM

If you are going to game across all three monitors, I'd suggest you sell the existing 1,5 gig 580 and buy 2 gtx 580 with 3 gb of video memory. It may not be enough.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 9:00:53 PM

While 580SLI is an amazing setup there are a couple of options that might be better for ur situation.

1. Ur psu is borderline minimum for ur sli set-up. If it would run it without problems u definitely have no room for any overclock of any kind. So u will have to spend extra for more PSU.

2. At 5760x1080 resolution 1.5gb VRAM can run into limitations and limit framerate. 3gb VRAM will be much better for that resolution.

I suggest trying to sell the 580 to a friend or eBay. eBay selling that card for @ $450. Then get 7970 crossfire. The 7970 have 3gb VRAM for ur resolution. Plus they blow away the 580s at higher resolution and newer games that use high tesselation. Keep in mind I am a Nvidia fanboy, but the benchmarks speek for themselves. Also the 7970 new architecture use less power so ur 850w will be perfect for a 7970 CF setup with room to overclock. So u will save money on buying an extra PSU.
January 11, 2012 3:03:36 AM

Or you can wait for Kepler, which Nvidia's leaks are showing twice the performance on, compared to the 580. Even if the gain is only half of that, its still gonna sail right past the 7970.
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 6:03:57 AM

blacksci said:
Or you can wait for Kepler, which Nvidia's leaks are showing twice the performance on, compared to the 580. Even if the gain is only half of that, its still gonna sail right past the 7970.

I agree Nvidia should come out strong with the 680s. It will probably be 10-15% faster than the 7970. And I'm sure the price will reflect the increased performance and u will pay more.

But the real question is can you wait for Kepler till April with all the amazing games out now, just begging to be played at max graphical settings @ 60FPS and up.
a c 88 U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 6:41:51 AM

I agree, think Nvidia will come out with a beast of a 680 to compete against AMD's 7970, but its going to take sometime, Nvidia may not have seen the high performance of the 7970 coming like it did and they have probably gone back to the drawing board to beat them.
January 11, 2012 8:47:23 AM

dharmenparikh said:
save the money. Kepler is gonna come out in 2-3 months and the new GTX 780 will be 50% better judging by early leaks. You can spend $600 at that time..and use the current GTX 580 for physx or sell it.

Another option is to buy 2x GTX 770s for $600+250 from selling the first card. Just another option. even 2x 7950s will be better for $800 total.

It's not that far out. Also you have to remember...the GTX 580 has 1.5gb of vram so at that triple 1080P resolution you won't be able to crank up the graphics features without low fps...then why spend extra $500 now?

I will probably just upgrade everything by the end of next year because I would want a Intel Ivy Bridge with a Mobo with pci-e 3.0 for Kepler and could see how everything plays out the AMD vs Nvidia benchmarks at that time.

nevertell said:
If you are going to game across all three monitors, I'd suggest you sell the existing 1,5 gig 580 and buy 2 gtx 580 with 3 gb of video memory. It may not be enough.

I have read on a couple of websites and forums that 1.5GB is good enough and if anything I am not future proofing because everything is changing this year as far as processors, motherboards & video cards. http://www.behardware.com/articles/844-1/geforce-gtx-58...

Swolern said:
While 580SLI is an amazing setup there are a couple of options that might be better for ur situation.

1. Ur psu is borderline minimum for ur sli set-up. If it would run it without problems u definitely have no room for any overclock of any kind. So u will have to spend extra for more PSU.

2. At 5760x1080 resolution 1.5gb VRAM can run into limitations and limit framerate. 3gb VRAM will be much better for that resolution.

I suggest trying to sell the 580 to a friend or eBay. eBay selling that card for @ $450. Then get 7970 crossfire. The 7970 have 3gb VRAM for ur resolution. Plus they blow away the 580s at higher resolution and newer games that use high tesselation. Keep in mind I am a Nvidia fanboy, but the benchmarks speek for themselves. Also the 7970 new architecture use less power so ur 850w will be perfect for a 7970 CF setup with room to overclock. So u will save money on buying an extra PSU.

According to this website: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp which was recommended here and other places I am good but I don't see myself overclocking only if I keep this setup longer than a year. I don't have anyone here that is into computers (or want to admit it) so I would have to sell online and that would take awhile because shipping from here takes anywhere from a 1 weeks to 4 weeks and some people would just probably take back their money or claim they nevered received so I don't want to go through the hassle.
!