Sign in with
Your question

[Prebuilt] 2k gaming

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2012 3:10:46 AM

Can someone provide feedback on this system from ibuypower? Any bottlenecks? Where can I save some money? Do I need an audio card? The primary use will be for gaming.

Most importantly, should I wait 1-2 months? Will prices decrease, anything around the corner? Thanks!

Slam Dunk Paladin Dr.I
1 x Case ( Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming Case - Black )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2550K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 7970 - 3GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( [SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 1050 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-1050HX )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 240 GB Kingston V+200 SSD - Single Drive )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
0 x Speaker System ( None )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Advanced - Power Package (Individually Sleeved 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU, and SATA Drive Power Cabling) )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Advanced - Video Package (Individually Sleeved 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E VGA Power Cabling) )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

More about : prebuilt gaming

March 15, 2012 6:21:30 AM

Happy to help. Problems in order:

0. They are carrying Rosewill now? Huh. It's a nice case but what are your other options? There are "classier" cases.

1. The CPU cooling is no better than air. It doesn't even look cool :)  just drop it and get an air cooler. The Corsair H100 is a nice unit if available, but again it isn't as pretty as real water.

2. The PSU is massive overkill. IF you are planning to add a second 7970, an 850W PSU will be enough. if you are NOT planning to add a second, get a 650W. They carry Corsair and that is a good choice. Rosewill Capstone is an awesome PSU if they are carrying it.

3. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know about the SSD. Kingston is OK as a brand but it is safe to say that the three top brands for reliability are Intel, Samsung, and Crucial. Those would be preferable if available. I'm guessing the Kingston is a Sandforce controller?

4. You are probably paying a premium for the storage drive, but I guess you know that. In a gaming rig you could likely drop that for now and pick one up in the fall as prices drop.

5. Get the Blu-ray only if you intend to watch movies on this computer, or burn HD movies. And if that is the case budget for the software required.. usually $80-100 more.

6. You have a budget, so make sure to get a full version of Win 7. Don't cheap out on the OEM version that will be tied to that specific MB.

Sleeving and everything? Wow. I would really go for a case that is a bit more impressive.

m
l
March 15, 2012 6:43:38 AM
Related resources
March 15, 2012 6:58:48 AM

Proximon said:

3. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know about the SSD. Kingston is OK as a brand but it is safe to say that the three top brands for reliability are Intel, Samsung, and Crucial. Those would be preferable if available. I'm guessing the Kingston is a Sandforce controller?

In a word, the SSD Sucks, Kingston v+ range is just for home pc's. the slowest of the slowest ssd's around.

Of course, it's still faster than a traditional HDD, but at this price you should have a faster one.
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:43:25 AM

I would stick with crucial for mid range ssds. They have a pretty solid track record as of now. I will however note that kingstons HyperX SSD is one of the best money can buy.

Also I would advise not buying from cyberpowerpc or ibuypowerpc. They are mediocre at best and the companies are complained about more then any on the market. Save yourself a headache and spend a few extra bucks and buy from someone more reputable.
m
l
March 15, 2012 8:12:21 AM

the corsair ax series and hx series psu are really costly

u can get a seasonic x series psu(80+ gold) at price of corsair hx series(80+ silver) :o 

intel ssd are costlier but more reliable no problem with that

a full tower case for this build a haf 912 would be enough to fit 3 7970 :D 

a i5 2550k is nothing but i5 2500k with increased multiplier and u can do it manually :p 

why a 1333 mhz ram ramp it up to 1600mhz

and windows 7 ultimate :o  if u need language packs then by ultimate or a professional is the limit. even a home premium would do :D 

by this the build will come down to or below 2k :D 

my 2 cents

m
l
March 15, 2012 8:33:02 AM

Nothing wrong with those suggestions. I made assumptions based on the original build that may be way off. We really know nothing about what the OP actually needs :) 
m
l
March 15, 2012 8:38:58 AM

@proximon

true but the above thing i said are true , dont you agree:) 
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:46:03 PM

That's what I meany by "Nothing wrong with those suggestions," those meaning yours.

The PSU I linked was the Corsair AX850. It's a Seasonic built 80Plus Gold PSU.

The G.skill RAM caught me by surprise. I didn't realize they made the Sniper kit in a 1333Mhz variety. I would have recommended the 1600. Having said that it should be noted that anything over 1333Mhz is an overclock of the CPU, and considered such by Intel. So if you are using it you should also get this:
http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
m
l
March 15, 2012 11:28:09 PM

Proximon said:

0. They are carrying Rosewill now? Huh. It's a nice case but what are your other options? There are "classier" cases.

1. The CPU cooling is no better than air. It doesn't even look cool :)  just drop it and get an air cooler. The Corsair H100 is a nice unit if available, but again it isn't as pretty as real water.

2. The PSU is massive overkill. IF you are planning to add a second 7970, an 850W PSU will be enough. if you are NOT planning to add a second, get a 650W. They carry Corsair and that is a good choice. Rosewill Capstone is an awesome PSU if they are carrying it.

I'm trying to make it easy on myself for future upgrades. Do you see power requirements increasing in the next 3-4 years?

4. You are probably paying a premium for the storage drive, but I guess you know that. In a gaming rig you could likely drop that for now and pick one up in the fall as prices drop.

5. Get the Blu-ray only if you intend to watch movies on this computer, or burn HD movies. And if that is the case budget for the software required.. usually $80-100 more.

I bought the blue-ray in case companies decide to make the switch from DVDs to bluerays, and without a blue-ray i won't be able to install anything.

6. You have a budget, so make sure to get a full version of Win 7. Don't cheap out on the OEM version that will be tied to that specific MB.

Sleeving and everything? Wow. I would really go for a case that is a bit more impressive.

I heard sleeving helps to improve air flow and cooling. That was my main reason for choosing it.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:51:07 AM

No, power requirements will stay the same or decrease.

A computer is a modular thing. You can spend $16 now on a DVD drive and in the future should you ever need you can upgrade it.

Most decent PSUs have sleeved cables. The kind of sleeving you have selected is for show only. Like this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-310222_31_300.ht...
See how each wire has been individually braided in white?

m
l
!