Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Airflow advice plz

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 15, 2012 3:20:28 AM

i have a coolmaster storm enforcer case. currently my set up is as follows

one 200mm/700 rpm fan intake in front.

one 200mm/700 rpm intake on top.

one 120mm exhaust 1200rpm

one pic slot cooler in back for exhaust.

now my concern is hot air rises, should i take my fan on top and turn it into exhaust?

More about : airflow advice plz

March 15, 2012 4:06:32 AM

someone? any advise plz....
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 10:00:00 AM

+1, general advice is front, bottom, side are intakes, rear and top are exhaust,
and experiment with that pci slotfan, you may find your gfx card temps improve without it installed
Moto
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 10:16:16 AM

ya really besides swapping the top fan direction that seems more than adequate
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 5:45:59 PM

so one 200mm 700 rpm intake is enough?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 6:00:30 PM

If the pressure inside the case is negative, I.E. more exhaust than intake, it creats a vacuum and will pull more air into the case via any gap it can to equalise the pressure, which can lead to more dust in there however,
I would run it as you have it (after swapping the roor fan ofc) and maybe look to modding another intake either at the front or in the floor,
see how your temps are to begin with before planning any changes though
Moto
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 6:17:29 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
If the pressure inside the case is negative, I.E. more exhaust than intake, it creats a vacuum and will pull more air into the case via any gap it can to equalise the pressure, which can lead to more dust in there however,
I would run it as you have it (after swapping the roor fan ofc) and maybe look to modding another intake either at the front or in the floor,
see how your temps are to begin with before planning any changes though

Moto



cannot add any more fans. all spaces are taken. i am adding 2 120mm 1200rpm fan on top to replace the 200mm lower rpm fan.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 6:45:16 AM

**cannot add any more fans. all spaces are taken**

You make spaces :) 
the 2x120mm will be noisier than the 200mm unit, but I reckon they will help a little with things, be interesting to see some numbers before and after the swap
Moto
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 12:52:17 PM

how do i make spaces? and my temps before upgrading the fans are:

in bios,

system temp is 31c
cpu temp is 34c
cpu fan running @ 1551rpm.

idle is 22c

can someone plz show me their bios temps so i can compare...thanks
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 1:02:05 PM

Anyone elses temps won't help you unless you take into account their ambient temperatures, I may be idling at 15'c right now which makes you mad,
but I live in an area that is 12'c outside today
your temps look fine to me as is by the way, but what is your set up? **Edit, FX8120@3.1GHz, I read your config :p **
if thats 22'c idle on a 4.5GHz o/c, then I bow to you,
if its on a dualcore at 800MHz, not so much :p 

and by 'you make spaces' I mean you modify your case, drill, cut/remove parts to make provision for any fans etc you want that the manufacturer didn't provide for,
but as I said, your temps provisionally look great and I wouldn't see the need to do any modding unless you just plain wanted to (best reason imo)
Moto

m
0
l
March 16, 2012 2:15:39 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Anyone elses temps won't help you unless you take into account their ambient temperatures, I may be idling at 15'c right now which makes you mad,
but I live in an area that is 12'c outside today
your temps look fine to me as is by the way, but what is your set up? **Edit, FX8120@3.1GHz, I read your config :p **
if thats 22'c idle on a 4.5GHz o/c, then I bow to you,
if its on a dualcore at 800MHz, not so much :p 

and by 'you make spaces' I mean you modify your case, drill, cut/remove parts to make provision for any fans etc you want that the manufacturer didn't provide for,
but as I said, your temps provisionally look great and I wouldn't see the need to do any modding unless you just plain wanted to (best reason imo)
Moto


i just have a slight oc, 8120 @ 3.6ghz running all cores......oh btw, ran 3dmark 11 last night, it says my 8120 registers only 4 cores....amd pissed me off on this one. 8 cores my ass
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 2:39:32 PM

You didn't research the chip before buying?
marketing victim alert :p 
it has four bulldozer modules which each are technically almost two cores (long argument,cba, its a quad with a kind of hyperthreading basically)

those temps are fine for your O/c, I wouldn't worry or change anything unless you are just playing to try and improve things, you don't need to though, it would just be for fun tbh
Moto
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 2:52:59 PM

i did research but not extensive. i had it narrowed down to this chip or the phenom II x6 1045T. now i wish i woulda got the x6, or waited for piledriver
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2012 3:32:50 PM

I saw bulldozer at release and went for my backup chip, the 975be,
Pd may be better I hope :p 
Moto
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 5:39:19 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I saw bulldozer at release and went for my backup chip, the 975be,
Pd may be better I hope :p 
Moto


you think maybe siince all i do is play bf3, that it may just be better to stay with whatt i got? or get a new chip? i hear people say with their 4100 play bf3 on ultra. i cannot play my bf3 on ultra with a 8120. in auto detect i get all options on high and one in ultra and i get 60fps.
m
0
l
March 16, 2012 5:46:18 PM

bf2player1978 said:
i have a coolmaster storm enforcer case. currently my set up is as follows

one 200mm/700 rpm fan intake in front.

one 200mm/700 rpm intake on top.

one 120mm exhaust 1200rpm

one pic slot cooler in back for exhaust.

now my concern is hot air rises, should i take my fan on top and turn it into exhaust?



In the Law of Physics: "Hot air goes up and cold air goes down"
"should i take my fan on top and turn it into exhaust?"
Mine is Cooler Master HAF 932 it has a big fan on top of it 240 mm and it's blowing up exhaust air and I never turn it of modify it.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 7:05:58 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
**cannot add any more fans. all spaces are taken**

You make spaces :) 
the 2x120mm will be noisier than the 200mm unit, but I reckon they will help a little with things, be interesting to see some numbers before and after the swap
Moto


case temp before was 31c
cpu temp was 34c

after the swap out of the 200mm fan to two 120mm fans,

28c system
33c cpu temp, idle temp is 19c, web browsing is 23c.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2012 8:38:48 AM

Nice, you see the difference there? :)  only a couple of degrees but its a marked enough change for the better, hows the noise level, acceptable?
Moto
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 8:01:06 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Nice, you see the difference there? :)  only a couple of degrees but its a marked enough change for the better, hows the noise level, acceptable?
Moto


noise is not a factor. temps went down a tad too....still cannot pass 4.0 on my air cooler, cores start to shut down under load in prime95
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2012 10:14:22 AM

Only advice I can reasonably give is read up on Fx8120 clocking, the guys who have them will have tweaked and found the 'best' way to get the most out of the chip,
but at a push, some things to wonder about are
is your ram set manually?
is your Cpu voltage correct?
do you have any cool and quiet/ thermal throttle settings enabed in bios?
moto
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 11:13:21 AM

Hi there,

from what I am reading (including other poster), you should also do some cable management and get yourself a proper heatsink just to keep your CPU temperature under-control.

That is all, I hope it helps...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2012 11:28:36 AM

^How can you recommend cable management without seeing a picture of his set up? He may have cables like me for all we know :) 

old Rig


current Rig


or he may have a nest in there, he hasn't posted pics so we can't say :) 
Although I assume he has an upgraded cooler, he doesn't mention it in his config anywhere, op, whats your cooler dude?
Moto
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 11:31:53 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
^How can you recommend cable management without seeing a picture of his set up? He may have cables like me for all we know :) 

or he may have a nest in there, he hasn't posted pics so we can't say :) 
Moto


That is why I am taking a risk and post it here. :) 

It's best to write it and leave it for his consideration... it wouldn't hurt if I can provide just a little more...

P.S. That is one squeaky - clean setup... COOL...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2012 11:38:24 AM

Thanks, I'm currently working on an external radbox to add the cards to the loop,
but yes, its best to mention it and make op aware of options
I wasn't having a go so sorry if it seemed that way :) 
Moto
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 11:47:12 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Thanks, I'm currently working on an external radbox to add the cards to the loop,
but yes, its best to mention it and make op aware of options
I wasn't having a go so sorry if it seemed that way :) 
Moto


Hey, that is not a problem - no harm done.

Still love your squeaky - clean picture... :) 

m
0
l
March 19, 2012 12:45:34 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Only advice I can reasonably give is read up on Fx8120 clocking, the guys who have them will have tweaked and found the 'best' way to get the most out of the chip,
but at a push, some things to wonder about are
is your ram set manually?
is your Cpu voltage correct?
do you have any cool and quiet/ thermal throttle settings enabed in bios?
moto


ram is set manual @ 1.5v 9-9-9-24 and cool and quiet is set to off, as well as thermal throttle. the only reason i can think why i cant get past 3.9 or 4.0 is that i do not mess around with the fsb at all. and i only have a thermaltake clp0554, not a evo 212 cooler on my chip.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 12:48:51 AM

laircouk said:
Hi there,

from what I am reading (including other poster), you should also do some cable management and get yourself a proper heatsink just to keep your CPU temperature under-control.

That is all, I hope it helps...


if you dont know what we are talking bout, then leave this thread alone. you do not know how my case looks, for your knowledge i do have good cable management. but hey at least you got a post credited to your account huh?

thanks
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 7:13:09 AM

No need to be a jerk about it. How are we supposed to know how to help you if you get snooty?
m
0
l
!