Toshiba satellite Pro L10 Laptop graphics card

A S Mark

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Hi, I’m retired engineer and I have been learning the workings of computers and have turned to trying to fix a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10 laptop with no display. It faded and I suspect the graphics card. The problem is I would not know how to recognise it, and it may well be hidden in the motherboard as an integrated item. So before I waste too much time can anyone advise me?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looks like those laptops have integrated graphic chipsets, so there is no way to fix/replace the graphics card. One thing you can look at, however, is to check and see if the cable from the display has come loose internally.

-Wolf sends

A S Mark

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I must thank you for your interest and say that I am in agreement with your advice. I have, in fact, stripped this machine right down and reconnected all the connections as a starting place. There is something else that comes to mind and you may well tell me what it is. There are wires coming from the right side of the screen, normal wires, a black and a white. These go to a card with connections like those on RAM Modules. The wires connect with press stud type connections. Askey Computer Corp and Atheros Communications Inc are on the card; which may give a clue and suggest it is a wireless card. It could be connected to the screen area as an Ariel and have nothing to do with the screen functioning. The other thing that comes to mind is that of drivers and I have been looking at Toshiba drivers; but how do I install them if the screen does not work and we have the proverbial 'chicken 'n' egg' problem. Thanks for your interest; I hope there is a resolution to this that gets the machine back on the go. I was planning to run Open Source software on it to try to interest my colleagues in free operating systems. Regards, AS Mark

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, checking if the internal connection was loose was your only hope. If the connections are good and you're still not getting an image on the display, then either the display or the motherboard/integrated graphic chipset has died.

You may want to check around local computer fixit shops or even E-bay to see if there are any motherboards you can pick up as replacements, but I'd only suggest this if you're more interested in getting the system working again than actually using it (see if you *can* do this).

-Wolf sends

A S Mark

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Once again, thanks. I have several things going with this type of exercise they are mainly to do with having a hobby and helping local people with getting into computing. One such exercise is in finding out the intricacies of computer hardware and software interaction. Rather difficult when I do not know all the jargon; so I have to learn by concept formation, which takes lots of time. The other thing is just the sheer delight of getting something to work. I will have a look for parts on eBay and if the price is OK then who knows. Anyway, thanks for your valuable time and logical reasoning, it has been appreciated