Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pentium G860 build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 15, 2012 6:42:30 AM

Approximate Purchase Date:
05/15/12

Budget Range: (e.g.: Not sure~ $700 max?/Not Sure~ $575 after mir?)

System Usage from Most to Least Important
(e.g.: medium level gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

I would like to play hand full of semi-demanding games on appealing/decent GFX settings like D3,BF3, and SC2

Parts Not Required
(e.g.: keyboard, mouse, speakers, card reader )

Website
Newegg

Country
USA

Parts Preferences
I would like to follow tom's articles about CPU's, MoBo's, GPU's, PSU's, etc.

Overclocking
Not Possible?


GPU
I'm afraid of spending too much on one particular component.
I want a GPU that will match the performance of my G860 CPU.

Monitor
Resolution - 1920x1080, ($75-$125)

Additional Comments
The top priority is affordability. I want to make sure that everything is compatible to the G860 CPU at a real moderate price)

I want to build a decent gaming rig for as cheap as I can. I am interested in getting the best value in performance.

I like the Pentium G860 and the Intel BOXDZ68DB because they came highly recommended from Tom's Value Gaming Comparison Articles

*Are the G860 and Intel mobo compatible?

I'm not sure about what GPU I want to use. I just want the stats on my new cpu/ram/GPU to match so no "bottle-necking" occurs.

I've been looking at some modular PSU's and I like the OCZ ZX/ZT series PSU's.

*Do I need a fully modular PSU for this minimalistic dual core gaming rig?

I haven't got a clue about what kind of Ram to go with... or HDD(maybe inexpensive performance SSD with a mech backup?)...


Any suggestion are welcomed. I am a very open person and I am willing to learn. Any new links or articles would be nice to read

More about : pentium g860 build

March 15, 2012 7:25:13 AM

since over clocking is a maybe i would leave it alone.So a 2400 with a GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 with 1600 corsiar mem.A 560 ti , 500gb storage,haf 912 case and the psu your drooling at maybe 650 w,puts you at around 700 u can go cheaper but i just gave build to work with.
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 8:33:43 AM

momazboy said:
since over clocking is a maybe i would leave it alone.So a 2400 with a GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 with 1600 corsiar mem.A 560 ti , 500gb storage,haf 912 case and the psu your drooling at maybe 650 w,puts you at around 700 u can go cheaper but i just gave build to work with.


@momazboy - Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate your opinions. But that build is going to be too expensive for my meager unemployed/student budget...

Also from what I have read ivy bridge will be out in the near future (by that time I may have a job/more money to work with). I think I am gonna build a solid "cheap-o" for now.

For now I want quality components to match the CPU(Pentium G860) at a value. I'm fine using my favorite games on medium settings if I can have a cheaper system sooner.

I would like all the components (cpu/RAM/GPU) to work well together.

*What GPU/RAM setup would be good to complement the (dual core) pentium g860 and Intel BOXDZ68DB?

*Will the Intel BOXDZ68DB mobo be compatible with intel pentium G860?


The only reason I am stuck on these coponents is b/c I saw some great articles
about them. (Intel Pentium G860 best CPU under $100 and I read about the Intel BOXDZ68DB...

I also have to keep in mind that I'm definitely going to have to buy a new monitor...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 4:36:30 PM

The motherboard and CPU are compatible.

Any cheap 1333 DDR3 ram should do you good. Just get at least 4GB in a 2x 2GB pair. I always suggest checking the QVL list for ram off of the intel's page for this board.

I would recommend a 7850 GUP when it comes out, that would be the best for gaming at 1080p and they are going to be about ~200-250 if I remember correctly. Though if that blows the budget you could always go with a 7770 too. Or wait to see the new Nvidia GPU. Perhaps you could get a good deal on a 560ti when the price drops too. I wouldn't be surprised to see them less than 200 once the new Nvidia card comes out too. Though, Less the 7770 I would recommend waiting until April, prices for all other cards are surely to fall then.

For the power supply any 400w 80+ psu should be good though if you have it in your budget you could get up to a 600w psu and that would give you a little room to upgrade later on if you wanted to get a more powerful cpu or graphics card.

The board is a good choice tho and platform in general, because later on you could upgrade to a 2600k cpu and a more powerful graphics card. Though for just school work and gaming that would not be necessary. However going for an i3-21xx series for $20 more would yield better gaming results. You should take a look at the gaming cpu charts. They placed the i3-21xx series at the same gaming performance as my i7-970. At least when the games are not threaded heavily it will help. And going with an i3 would mean that you have built in graphics and if you went with an nvidia card you could enable optimums.

Also, I STRONGLY recommend staying away from anything crossfire or sli, I had a pair of GTX 580 and with micro stuttering I was getting a low of ~30-40 fps in battlefield 3 on high settings at 1080p. A single card preformed much faster, I think the low was above 60 fps. And with the less powerful cards micro stuttering only gets worse. Besides the gaming cpu articles, I also recomend you read the micro stuttering article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 6:39:13 PM

@sempifi99 - Hey thanks for the detailed reply. You gave me a lot to look over. I'm new to this, so it takes a while to absorb everything. I am currently unemployed. The bills are kinda high right now, so I am trying to cut corners where possible.

I want to build a cheaper scale, quality gaming setup where all the components are matched properly for durability.

Now I have more specific questions about this build.

RAM
*Would it be worthwhile (value vs overkill) to get more than 4GB of ram for the Intel Pentium G860?
*Also do you know where I can find the QVL list for the Intel BOXDZ68DB MB?

GPU
*Do you think the Radeon HD 7850 would be "over-kill" for the CPU I picked?

I need an affordable GPU that will not "bottle-neck" due to the cheaper Pentium CPU. I want to get a GPU that will perform right up to CPU's speed without "bottle-necking".

Motherboard
*Does a good quality APU on a processor enhance a discrete GPU's performance when installed?

*Would putting in the i3 core 21xx enhance game performance enough to consider going without a PC long enough to build a "top-notch" sandy bridge build? (it's been about 2 months without my own PC...)

I read an article that says the Intel BOXDZ68DB is not overclockable. The intel MB is the cheapest/value packed combo for the intel pentium G860 CPU.

m
0
l
March 17, 2012 6:57:37 PM

RAM
1. RAM is so cheap now, get 8GB
2. No I don't

GPU
3. Maybe, try a 6850 but if your budget can take it then the 7850 sounds great

Motherboard
4. No it doesn't
5. an i3 2100 would be better in everything that isn't gaming because of HT, and Intel quicksync and some other stuff. Not sure about gaming performance though, I would think so in games that can use more than 2 threads
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 3:53:15 PM

Noskill said:
@sempifi99 - Hey thanks for the detailed reply. You gave me a lot to look over. I'm new to this, so it takes a while to absorb everything. I am currently unemployed. The bills are kinda high right now, so I am trying to cut corners where possible.

I want to build a cheaper scale, quality gaming setup where all the components are matched properly for durability.

Now I have more specific questions about this build.

RAM
*Would it be worthwhile (value vs overkill) to get more than 4GB of ram for the Intel Pentium G860?
*Also do you know where I can find the QVL list for the Intel BOXDZ68DB MB?

GPU
*Do you think the Radeon HD 7850 would be "over-kill" for the CPU I picked?

I need an affordable GPU that will not "bottle-neck" due to the cheaper Pentium CPU. I want to get a GPU that will perform right up to CPU's speed without "bottle-necking".

Motherboard
*Does a good quality APU on a processor enhance a discrete GPU's performance when installed?

*Would putting in the i3 core 21xx enhance game performance enough to consider going without a PC long enough to build a "top-notch" sandy bridge build? (it's been about 2 months without my own PC...)

I read an article that says the Intel BOXDZ68DB is not overclockable. The intel MB is the cheapest/value packed combo for the intel pentium G860 CPU.


Ram:
No, 4GB of ram will be more than enough for games around today. I am not aware of any games that recomend more than 4GB of ram. To tell for sure if 8GB of ram would help your system, you should look at all the games you plan on playing and their recomended ram. If 8GB of ram is recomended to play the game at recomended settings, then go for 8GB. If only 4GB of ram is recomended, then 8GB would be overkill and a waste of money. For all non gaming aplications 4GB will be more than enough.

GPU:
The HD 7850 will be on par with both the g860 and the i3 21xx cpu. If you were going to play at less than 1080p, like at 1600x900 I would recomend saving money, but at 1080p you will be geting the most return for your money with a good graphics card.

Motherboard:
The z68 and p67 chipset are overclockable usually, but from what I have read about this board it is not a board to overclock on. Given the cpu choice, I would recomend going with the H67 which is not overclockable. It would save a little money without affecting performance while still supporting onboard graphics.




APU:
I would recomend not going with an APU, in crossfire microstuttering could occure. And in most gaming benchmarks the APU, even the highest end ones, yield lower frame rates than an i3-21xx. Here is a good article to read regarding APUs and budget builds:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g620-amd-a8...


Also I consider APU technolagy premature. Same with the other AMD cpus, they have just switched to a new type of chip layout and they need a few more generations of adjusting it to work out some kinks. They are not mainstream viable yet. i3 or g series cpu is the best way to go when gaming for sure.

CPU:
I would recomend waiting for the i3 if possible, getting the cheaper motherboard may help make the i3 more affordable. Save $25 on the motherboard and get the i3-2130 for $50 more. Or perhaps the i3-2100 for just $25 more. But from what I have read the sweet spot for gaming is the i3-2130.

Also here is the page with the QVL for the z68 board

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpbo...

And here is the page of the H67 board:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpbo...





m
0
l
March 18, 2012 4:57:56 PM

I just wanted to comment on the RAM and some other things There is really no reason to only get 4BG of RAM when 8GB is only about $10 more. Sempifi99 is right that no current game needs or recommends 8GB of RAM, but eventually they will, likely in only a few years. If you get 8GB now, you will be future-proofed.

If your budget could spare it an i3 would be ideal. My i3 2120 run circles around any sub $200 AMD counterpart.

ASRock makes a really nice budget friendly H61 board with USB 3.0, SATA III, and a sexy UEFI BIOS.
ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $70

There is a trimmed down version without USB 3.0 and SATA III, but it still has UEFI
ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $55

You'll need some DDR3 1333 RAM for that, so here is some G.Skill RAM complete with a sexy red heatsink.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 $42, it's 4GB counterpart is only $16 less, so let's go with 8GB shall we.

I can recommend the HAF 912, based on the fact that my right foot is currently gracing it's side panel.

The 912 has a boat load of tie down points and a ton of zip ties, so save some money with a non modular PSU. You will need the longer cables for this case.

As for a Video Card, the market has itself caught up in a wad of rumors and leaks about upcoming tech, but nobody really know what the heck is going on. The current best deals are the 6800's from AMD and the 560's from Nvidia. The 7770 from AMD is tearing at the edges of the 6800's though.

Oh yea, and welcome to Tom's! :hello: 
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 6:04:56 PM

@Robi_G - Thanks for your reply. I just want you to know that it means a lot to me that you helped me out with the questions I had.

@Sempifi99 - Once again you show up with a multitude of great points. My hat is off to you. It is very nice to see you stick it out and have patience with me.

@LtDan - Awesome name, sir. You really got my attention with your suggestions about this build. The dual core i3-2120 is only $30 more for 3Mhz speed boost?(I am starting to come around to the i3-2120)

I have been looking for weeks (going on months) before I posted here. Posts like all of these have really helped me figure things out faster. In just these past couple of days of having this thread I have gotten more leads and more accomplished than I have for weeks of reading/learning by myself. A special thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

I think I'm going to start this entry by focusing on the CPU. I want to build a better machine once I get a job and expand my budget. Maybe by then, I will get the most bang for my buck with Intel's Ivy bridge.

For now I am going with either a pentium G860 build(value-cheap/no overclocking) or an i3-2120 build (Value-Cheap/ +Over-clocking?* ).

With that said, I'd like to make two separate categories of this discussion
(Cheap non OC, dual core G860 / affordable 1080p i3-2120)


With the G860, I want to achieve the best results possible with the cheapest compatible components. 1080p may not be necessary with this build.

I know the CPU won't overclock with the dual core G860. With that in mind, Do I still need a high quality motherboard to maximize the GPU's performance?

As far as the GPU goes, I want something that will not be "bottle-necked" by the performance of the Pentium G860. If the HD 7850 is compatible and "the best value"(cheapest/best quality option) then I will have to re-budget or rethink running 1080p all together.

Which GPU on the Best prices for tested products list would you compare the HD 7850 to?

Random Questions
*Are the i3-2120's overclockable?

Is there any difference between the H61 and Z68 chipsets (as far as game performance goes with the pentium G860)?


Motherboard w/ G860 CPU
Can I go with the ASUS P8H61-M instead of the Intel BOXDZ68DB without losing any performance with the pentium G860?
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 12:53:24 PM

Noskill said:
@Robi_G - Thanks for your reply. I just want you to know that it means a lot to me that you helped me out with the questions I had.

@Sempifi99 - Once again you show up with a multitude of great points. My hat is off to you. It is very nice to see you stick it out and have patience with me.

@LtDan - Awesome name, sir. You really got my attention with your suggestions about this build. The dual core i3-2120 is only $30 more for 3Mhz speed boost?(I am starting to come around to the i3-2120)

I have been looking for weeks (going on months) before I posted here. Posts like all of these have really helped me figure things out faster. In just these past couple of days of having this thread I have gotten more leads and more accomplished than I have for weeks of reading/learning by myself. A special thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

I think I'm going to start this entry by focusing on the CPU. I want to build a better machine once I get a job and expand my budget. Maybe by then, I will get the most bang for my buck with Intel's Ivy bridge.

For now I am going with either a pentium G860 build(value-cheap/no overclocking) or an i3-2120 build (Value-Cheap/ +Over-clocking?* ).

With that said, I'd like to make two separate categories of this discussion
(Cheap non OC, dual core G860 / affordable 1080p i3-2120)


With the G860, I want to achieve the best results possible with the cheapest compatible components. 1080p may not be necessary with this build.

I know the CPU won't overclock with the dual core G860. With that in mind, Do I still need a high quality motherboard to maximize the GPU's performance?

As far as the GPU goes, I want something that will not be "bottle-necked" by the performance of the Pentium G860. If the HD 7850 is compatible and "the best value"(cheapest/best quality option) then I will have to re-budget or rethink running 1080p all together.

Which GPU on the Best prices for tested products list would you compare the HD 7850 to?

Random Questions
*Are the i3-2120's overclockable?

Is there any difference between the H61 and Z68 chipsets (as far as game performance goes with the pentium G860)?


Motherboard w/ G860 CPU
Can I go with the ASUS P8H61-M instead of the Intel BOXDZ68DB without losing any performance with the pentium G860?



CPU:
Both the G860 and i3-2120 are NOT overclockable. The big difference is the hyper-threading of the i3 series.
Check out ark.intel.com for details about the cpu. You can use the compare tool and look at them side by side to learn the exact differences.

Motherboard:
You can go to ark.intel.com for the motherboards too, well only the Intel motherboards and learn the differences there too. But the only major difference is that the z68 allows overclocking and onboard graphics where the h67 does not allow overclocking but allows onboard graphics and the p67 allows overclocking and no onboard graphics. So for you with the CPU you choose go for the h67 board. Only the i5-2500k (cheapest k series atm) and other k series cpu can take advantage of overclocking on the z68 and p67 boards.

GPU:
The radeon 6970 has similar performance to the 7850, but I now the 7850 has been released around $250 so we know its price point. The 6970 is $300ish with rebates. The 570 is $300ish with rebates. So for the performance/price the 7850 is best in its class.

900p The 6950 for $250ish or the 560ti for$250ish are the best choices or you could use these for reduced 1080p, but for sure the 7850 is the best option, it has much better performance and at the same price point, so picking any card here is silly at this moment.

720p I would use cards like the HD 6850 for $150ish lots of rebates on this card right now so you could probably get it for $120ish. From the Nvidia side you could go with a gtx 460 for $130 and use optimums with it. But all of these cards it would pose a bottleneck at 1080p, however reduced 900p would be playable.

So basically at 720p~900p Go with either the HD 6850, HD 7770 (what I would do if it were my rig) or go for the GTX 460. However for any other upgrade beyond these cards the HD 7850 is definitely the best choice and it will be the only card that does not cause a bottleneck at 1080p for $250.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 12:54:41 PM

ltdan said:
I just wanted to comment on the RAM and some other things There is really no reason to only get 4BG of RAM when 8GB is only about $10 more. Sempifi99 is right that no current game needs or recommends 8GB of RAM, but eventually they will, likely in only a few years. If you get 8GB now, you will be future-proofed.

If your budget could spare it an i3 would be ideal. My i3 2120 run circles around any sub $200 AMD counterpart.

ASRock makes a really nice budget friendly H61 board with USB 3.0, SATA III, and a sexy UEFI BIOS.
ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $70

There is a trimmed down version without USB 3.0 and SATA III, but it still has UEFI
ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $55

You'll need some DDR3 1333 RAM for that, so here is some G.Skill RAM complete with a sexy red heatsink.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 $42, it's 4GB counterpart is only $16 less, so let's go with 8GB shall we.

I can recommend the HAF 912, based on the fact that my right foot is currently gracing it's side panel.

The 912 has a boat load of tie down points and a ton of zip ties, so save some money with a non modular PSU. You will need the longer cables for this case.

As for a Video Card, the market has itself caught up in a wad of rumors and leaks about upcoming tech, but nobody really know what the heck is going on. The current best deals are the 6800's from AMD and the 560's from Nvidia. The 7770 from AMD is tearing at the edges of the 6800's though.

Oh yea, and welcome to Tom's! :hello: 



8GB Ram:
The only reason I would recommend for not going with 8GB of ram right now is both cpu options are very limited and you seem to be on a really tight budget where 10 and 20 dollars really does matter. For that fact I would imagine, that when games start requiring more than 4GB of ram, they would also be requiring more than an i3 cpu to run them. So it might be best to only stick to 4GB of ram and focus on a better cpu and graphics card since there will be no imidiate return for the extra money spent on more ram.
m
0
l
March 23, 2012 3:04:02 AM

@sempifi99 - Alright! I'm excited. You have been here for me and answered all the questions I've asked you. I feel like I am getting so close to making a decision. So close...


If I use the cheapest stuff i.e. (2.7Ghz Pentium G630 , H67 motherboard, HD 6850, $30-PSU, etc )
If I put together these components for rock bottom price, will it work to play Diablo 3 on lowered settings?

What PSU wattage should I look for?


Or I could go with the build everyone here recommends (i3-2120, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel H67 Motherboard, 2x4gb DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), $45-PSU, etc.)

Do these components look compatible?

What PSU wattage should I go for?

Edit: Do I need a new HDD? or can I use the hard drives from old prefab PC's...

Also, Can I use the (2) 2gb ram from my emachine prefab?
m
0
l
March 23, 2012 8:28:07 PM

Noskill said:
@sempifi99 - Alright! I'm excited. So close...


(Pentium G630, H67 motherboard, )
If I put together these components for rock bottom price, will it work to play games on lowered settings?


Or I can build i3-2120, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel H67 Motherboard, 2x4gb DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), etc.

Do these components look compatible?

What PSU wattage should I go for?

Edit: Do I need a new HDD? I only have hard drives from old prefab PC's...

Also, Can I use the (2) 2gb ram from my emachine prefab?

The i3 beats the G630 in everything, you will see a slight gain in games, HOWEVER, the i3 is much better suited for multi-tasking, i.e. pumpin' out some tunes on Pandora while beastin' it up with that M5A1 on CoD: Future Warfare 10. Also, the Pentium line has always sucked when unzipping files (and encoding and stuff like that), while the i3's can hold their own (not to be confused with the performance of an i5 or i7).

I would recommend 500W minimum for the 560 Ti/6800 series, 600W would give you room to expand to any single slot solution later, stick with trusted brands like Corsair, Antec, and dare I say OCZ.

As long as they are SATA drives, you can. Just don't expect to see that "loading map" bar shoot across the screen very fast.

Depends on the type of RAM, if it's DDR2 the answer is no, if it's DDR3 sure, but just be ready to buy some new RAM. OEM's aren't know for their quality RAM choices. A handy little program called iCPU can tell you almost everything you need to know in one stop. Again, it's your decision, but I think 8GB of RAM is a good investment now, RAM just hit rock bottom prices. When you hit the bottom what direction is there left to go?
m
0
l
March 24, 2012 4:44:58 AM

Noskill said:
@sempifi99 - Alright! I'm excited. So close...


(Pentium G630, H67 motherboard, )
If I put together these components for rock bottom price, will it work to play games on lowered settings?


Or I can build i3-2120, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel H67 Motherboard, 2x4gb DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), etc.

Do these components look compatible?

What PSU wattage should I go for?

Edit: Do I need a new HDD? I only have hard drives from old prefab PC's...

Also, Can I use the (2) 2gb ram from my emachine prefab?


I would recommend going for the i3, as LtDan has pointed out it is superior in all multi talking environments, and with many of the newer games supporting 6+ threads it will for sure help in gaming too.

With the GTX 560ti will be a good choice, I personally would go for the 7850 because it has slightly faster stock performance, but a lot more overclocking headroom. But both are good options and I’m sure either way you will be good.

Motherboard and ram also look good.

I would think that 500w would be sufficient. The brand doesn’t really matter in my opinion, since they are all really made by 2 or 3 companies and then rebranded. I would say look at their connectivity, that they have enough plugs, make sure it has a 8 and 4 pin motherboard auxiliary plug and at least 2 sli plugs one 8 pin and one 6 pin. Also look at warranty, by rule of thumb the longer the warranty the better quality the psu. Don’t get anything with less than a 3 year warranty.

Your old HDD should be fine, though SSHD are much nicer but probably out of budget.

Your old ram is most likely not going to be compatible. Even if it is ddr3, if you get 4GB or 8GB of new ram it will be more than enough either way. Sell your old machine on eBay you will get more of a return there than cannibalizing it for your new build. Less of course the HDD, keep that for your new machine, it will help protect your personal info. I sell many computers on ebay without HDD.
m
0
l
March 27, 2012 9:34:55 PM

@LtDan - thanks for all the info
@Sempifi99 - your input is always appreciated

Random question:
When overclocking the GPU do I have to get a CPU that can overclock too?

Is an i3-2100 for $110 acceptable to use or should I wait for the i3-2120 prices to drop?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 4:24:54 AM

Noskill said:
@LtDan - thanks for all the info
@Sempifi99 - your input is always appreciated

Random question:
When overclocking the GPU do I have to get a CPU that can overclock too?

Is an i3-2100 for $110 acceptable to use or should I wait for the i3-2120 prices to drop?



Overclocking the CPU and GPU are 100% independend of one another.

The price for the i3-2100 is average market price as of now, waiting for a price drop could be a while. I would go for the 2100, the difference won't be much.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:14:27 AM

i3 2100 is a great deal for your price,

Budget Range: (e.g.: Not sure~ $700 max?/Not Sure~ $575 after mir?)

that's what you posted and somewhere i posted a 37x$ build using an i3 2100 and some cheap gpu which add's 50-80$ to it can't remember but I posted some last week I think it was the 6770 but well I'm sure with your budget you can add in some 100$ gpu to be at the 500$ price range overall (this doesn't include OS,monitor,speaker,mouse,mouse pad,keyboard)

go 8gb ram 2x4gb it's cheap now, why go 4gb just because it's all you need? so if your living alone and all you need is a 1,000$ monthly salary and that's what your supposed to get isn't right, at least on the ram go 8gb it's just a few dollars expensive but well worth it as you won't be seeing your ram usage go 90-100%
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:41:21 AM

ok here's some build which might help you out. seeing you said this

Budget Range: (e.g.: Not sure~ $700 max?/Not Sure~ $575 after mir?)


i3 2100 Build (cheapere variation)

Processor: 124.99$ ($15 off w/ promo code EMCNGHC43, ends 4/2) better get this fast)
i3 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: 67.99$ (not so bad but not so good either)
ASRock H61DE/S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: 46.99$ (there's the 1333mhz version for 41.99$ only a few bucks different)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Video Card:


HDD: 84.99$ ($5 off w/ promo code EMCNGHC57, ends 4/2) hey this ain't bad
Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ODD: any10-20$ disk drive is great


PSU: 69.99$>59.99$ after rebate
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Chassis: 49.99$ (I like this case a lot I have 3 of these and I like customizing it it's a nice case)
NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Black Front Trim
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is 444.94$ without ODD and GPU and without rebate and discount promo's

this is at 434.94$ after rebate without ODD and GPU and of course without counting the discount promo



i3 2100 with z68 mobo




Processor: 124.99$ ($15 off w/ promo code EMCNGHC43, ends 4/2) better get this fast)
i3 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: 119.99$>109.99$ after rebate
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: 46.99$ (there's the 1333mhz version for 41.99$ only a few bucks different)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Video Card:


HDD: 84.99$ ($5 off w/ promo code EMCNGHC57, ends 4/2) hey this ain't bad
Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ODD: any10-20$ disk drive is great


PSU: 69.99$>59.99$ after rebate
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Chassis: 49.99$ (I like this case a lot I have 3 of these and I like customizing it it's a nice case)
NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Black Front Trim
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is 496.94$ without GPU and ODD of course before rebate and no discount promos
this is 476.94$ after rebate without GPU and ODD and of course not counter the discount promos

this is a better build IMO as you can upgrade to a i5 2500k or a ivy bridge CPU in the next years

either these 2 builds are good. as you can then start looking at which GPU you want for the price that you have left in your budget, or adjust this build by putting some lesser expensive components like putting those cheaper 1333mhz 8gb ram from cheaper brands or cheaper case and other stuff.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 2:17:55 PM

@sempifi99 - That's good news.
@TavoNova - That's cool. I like all of your ideas on building cheaply ASAP. I appreciate the time your spent on my questions.

Why would I need a Z68 mother board over H61 for the i3-2100?

When using the i3-2100, what is the difference between H61 and H67 motherboards?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 2:36:07 PM

The reason you might want the Z68 board would be to upgrade the CPU in the future. The 2100 would become a placeholder for a few months or possibly more until the user would want to dump in an i5 or and Ivy Bridge CPU.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 11:41:29 PM

Just wanted to mention that that 2120 is a whopping $3 more than the 2100, the 200MHz boost is more than worth it.

As for the video card, the 6870 will already be bottnecking (only slightly) the i3's performance (in games anyway). Dropping below a 6850 would be a mistake. A 6950/560 Ti would actually be ideal for the i3.
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 1:06:44 PM

there should not be a bottle neck for an i3 with 6850, because 6850 is close to the 560ti's performance while 6870 is there on the same level with 560ti probably behind by a few single digit fps and it's more a bang for buck.

H61 is an older socket, the H67 is like the P67 just that with P67 you can overclock and with the H67 you got more features with it, and the z68 is like the combination of the 2,

reason i would recommend a z68 is that when you want to upgrade to an i5 2500k or i5 ivy bridge cpu you can just buy the cpu without problems
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 6:04:53 PM

ltdan said:
Just wanted to mention that that 2120 is a whopping $3 more than the 2100, the 200MHz boost is more than worth it.

As for the video card, the 6870 will already be bottnecking (only slightly) the i3's performance (in games anyway). Dropping below a 6850 would be a mistake. A 6950/560 Ti would actually be ideal for the i3.


I agree with LDan, if there is only a $3 difference between the 2100 definitely go for the 2120.

m
0
l
March 29, 2012 6:10:34 PM

As for graphics cards, if you are doing 1080p do not get the 6850 you will want something more powerful because it will cause the bottleneck. Though it is just marginally that I am not recommending it. If you want a lower resolution like 900p or 720p it will work fine. But at 1080p get a HD 7850.
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 10:14:29 PM

sempifi99 said:
As for graphics cards, if you are doing 1080p do not get the 6850 you will want something more powerful because it will cause the bottleneck. Though it is just marginally that I am not recommending it. If you want a lower resolution like 900p or 720p it will work fine. But at 1080p get a HD 7850.

^ +1
My Sapphire 6870 @Stock runs BF3 on Ultra @900p, which I think is a reasonable compromise, considering the ridiculously low price of $159 ($169 when I bought it :(  ). I could run on med-high @1080p, but.......
*1 L1K3 /\/\Y 4Y4 (/\N|)13*
I'm not sure a 7850 is in his price range @ $250. What would you be willing to spend on an GPU Noskill?
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 2:52:15 PM

@Pezcore27 - Thanks for the help. It's nice to have such a large group of people helping me with my questions. (P.S. - Were you suggesting that with the release of sandy bridge the prices will drop on the sandy bridge CPU's, making it more affordable to buy the sandy bridge over the increased performance of ivy bridge?)

@LtDan - It's cool to see you adding so much to the discussion. My questions are multiplying, but thanks to everyone here I am getting closer to the ultimate goal of building a decent rig on a restrictive budget. I can justify getting a higher end GPU if I could get it on a really good sale...

@Tavo_Nova - Thanks for sticking it out with me. I know I have a ton of simple questions to answer. However you have gone above and beyond that with the suggestions you've offered.

@sempifi99 - Brilliant! I appreciate your patience. Thanks for keeping your reply in perspective of my budget while balancing my performance needs.

Everyone has been so helpful to me here. This thread is helping me out so much.

I'm building this rig as a cheap place holder while waiting for the release of ivy bridge technology. That could change if it becomes more cost effective to go with the sandy bridge stuff(if the price drops).

I am unemployed and scrounging for funds until I find a new job.

I need a PC that will include gaming. I plan on playing D3 on release providing I am gainfully employed.


m
0
l
March 30, 2012 8:40:10 PM

I need a PC that will include gaming. I plan on playing D3 on release providing I am gainfully employed.[/quotemsg]


Hello people,
Just want to share my opinion

CPU
If you want the BEST gaming CPU for the price, look for the Intel G860 processor; it may soundmad, but it performs almost like i5 2500 stock in gaming(8-10 fps medium diff)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4524/the-sandy-bridge-pen...

MB
Go for H61 the cheapest one
Overclocking is just not worth it. 100$ for the cooler, 100+ for P67/Z86MB and a lot of risky business.
If you really want more performance wait for 3770k Ivy Bridge but again look at the money you're spending for HOW MANY FPS?


*A8-3850 noticeable mention- you can play any game right now with that

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/06/30/amd-a8...

m
0
l
March 30, 2012 9:48:50 PM

Although I am arguably biased towards Intel. An AMP APU should be a consideration here. The series has real potential as far as integrated graphics go. Although if you ever intend to upgrade the CPU, I don't recommend this route.

On the Intel side we have the "budget" H61 and H67 boards. In my experience, the H67 have always had problems with heat levels since they came out. The H61 ASRock board I recommended is a great bargain for an entry level 1155 board. If you can afford it, a Z68 would be ideal, although you won't see much befit unless you are using OC'ing a K SKU i5 or i7.

As for the Video Card.
Let's lay out the AMD options here, since AMD takes the cake for anything but the highest-end card. I gave some personal feedback on the 6870 since I own it.

Sapphire 6870 $160 - $10 Rebate = $150
Pros: Cheap, good performance @1080p, great below @1080p. Made by Sapphire. Very quiet even under heavy load. Comes with a sticker :kaola: 
Cons: Demanding games don't run as good @1080p. The AMD 12.3 Drivers just plain SUCK. Make sure you install 12.2 until they fix it.
Benchmarks: AnandTech - 6870

Gigabyte 6950 $250
Benchmarks: See the 7850 benchmarks.

Sapphire 7850 $250 there is also a factory OC'd version available for $260, which is worth it if you don't want to fiddle with manual OC'ing.
Benchmarks: AnandTech - 6950 vs. 7850 As you can see, the 7850 beats or matches the 6950 in almost every category. For the same price. So there is no reason to consider the 6950. I just added the 6950 to the list for educational purposes.

I know I said that AMD is the best in this price range, but to appease the Nvidia fans, here is the 560 Ti.
EVGA SuperClocked 560 Ti $250 - $20 Rebate = $230
Benchmarks: AnandTech - 560 Ti vs. 7850 The 7850 smokes the 560 Ti in nearly all categories.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 6:02:57 PM

Very good opinion, i have just 2 points

GPU wise Nvidia have Physx ; is it worth it?
Performance wise Nividia s got GTX 680 which is best price/performance or will be shortly, which also got Physx

He will not overclock, so a H61 will be more than enough. OVERCOLCKING is so expensive (200+ $) that you can for sure buy a better CPU an GPU and still save money
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 8:35:55 PM

Noskill said:
@Pezcore27 - Thanks for the help. It's nice to have such a large group of people helping me with my questions. (P.S. - Were you suggesting that with the release of sandy bridge the prices will drop on the sandy bridge CPU's, making it more affordable to buy the sandy bridge over the increased performance of ivy bridge?)

@LtDan - It's cool to see you adding so much to the discussion. My questions are multiplying, but thanks to everyone here I am getting closer to the ultimate goal of building a decent rig on a restrictive budget. I can justify getting a higher end GPU if I could get it on a really good sale...

@Tavo_Nova - Thanks for sticking it out with me. I know I have a ton of simple questions to answer. However you have gone above and beyond that with the suggestions you've offered.

@sempifi99 - Brilliant! I appreciate your patience. Thanks for keeping your reply in perspective of my budget while balancing my performance needs.

Everyone has been so helpful to me here. This thread is helping me out so much.

I'm building this rig as a cheap place holder while waiting for the release of ivy bridge technology. That could change if it becomes more cost effective to go with the sandy bridge stuff(if the price drops).

I am unemployed and scrounging for funds until I find a new job.

I need a PC that will include gaming. I plan on playing D3 on release providing I am gainfully employed.


I need to chime in here..I have built many computers for different applications. I built a cheap build for my son that is playing every game out there with no problems. I used the i3 2130 cpu, asus h61m board, pny 430 card, seagate 500gb, 8 gigs of memory, 500 power supply. Total it cost me about 380 bucks. If you shop around between newegg and tigerdirect you will find many bargains. Its also cheaper to buy a cheap case with a built in psu. For about $49 you can get a case with a 500 watt psu. Also the g630 or g860 cpu is a great choice. It uses the 1155 socket so you can upgrade your cpu as your finances increase. Why everyone wants to throw so much money away on a graphics card is beyond me when there are so many fantastic cheaper cards out there...If money is an issue than build what fits in your finances...Good luck.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 10:59:54 PM

MacAttacked said:
I need to chime in here..I have built many computers for different applications. I built a cheap build for my son that is playing every game out there with no problems. I used the i3 2130 cpu, asus h61m board, pny 430 card, seagate 500gb, 8 gigs of memory, 500 power supply. Total it cost me about 380 bucks. If you shop around between newegg and tigerdirect you will find many bargains. Its also cheaper to buy a cheap case with a built in psu. For about $49 you can get a case with a 500 watt psu. Also the g630 or g860 cpu is a great choice. It uses the 1155 socket so you can upgrade your cpu as your finances increase. Why everyone wants to throw so much money away on a graphics card is beyond me when there are so many fantastic cheaper cards out there...If money is an issue than build what fits in your finances...Good luck.

Sorry to rain on your party but...
The 2130 is not worth the money for the extra 200MHz, unlike the 2120.
The GT 430 is made for HTPCs, it has no use in gaming.
For $49 you can get a cheap, flimsy case with an off-brand PSU that will fry your PC in 3 months.
There are two reasons
Quote:
Why everyone wants to throw so much money away on a graphics card

1: Integrated graphics suck, unless you are playing Halo: Combat Evolved @1080p.
2: AMD and Nvidia card have actual driver releases that are not at 6 month intervals *ahem Intel cough*
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 1:52:11 AM

motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and
thinking about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and already have 2 of these
GTX 460 1Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

2 x 4Gb crucial ballistix DDr3 1600

and a 1080 Vizio V320 TV 4 hdmi inputs, 1 vga

a mini tower, Rosewill RX750 and a Dremel tool

my favorite game is Mass Effect

Can I expect the CPU to keep up?

Will it be as good as or least better than this:
Mid tower Raidmax Smilodon
current rig is a MSI FXA890-GD70, 960T 3515 Mhz/3941 turbo, 6770 (830Mhz core and 1150Mhz memory), 5750 crossfire.
The 5750 gets 20 more Mhz core speed and 120 MHz more memory speed than the 6770 and runs cooler.
I dont notice any stutter unless I leave folding@home on.
I had to get a 1000 watt power supply to do this.
The 2 Sunon 80mm 56 CFM side fans are running at 100% and driving me nuts. I got to have them at 100% to keep it all running at reasonable temps. They push a lot of hot air out of the case.
m
0
l
!