Make File Types Hidden?

October 9, 2004 9:27:01 PM

Is there any way specify which files windows considers "system files" so I
can make a certain kind of file always hidden? I know I can right click on a
file and make it hidden, but what if I wanted to, say, make all *.sfk files
hidden (a necessary file for my sound editing software, but very annoying to
see every time I look in a folder). Any ideas? I'm sure there has to be
something....

More about : make file types hidden

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:12:06 AM

Hi,

You can make any file 'system'. Just go to the command prompt (Start/Run CMD) and use the attrib command. For example,
if you want to make a file file.sfk which resides on the C:\ drive a system file, just type:

attrib c:\file.sfk +s

For more help on the attrib command, type:

attrib/?

at the command prompt.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mr_plans" <mrplans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way specify which files windows considers "system files" so I
> can make a certain kind of file always hidden? I know I can right click on a
> file and make it hidden, but what if I wanted to, say, make all *.sfk files
> hidden (a necessary file for my sound editing software, but very annoying to
> see every time I look in a folder). Any ideas? I'm sure there has to be
> something....

November 18, 2011 12:01:33 PM

That's not what he asked, as a matter of fact he specifically stated that he does not need to do what you offered as a solution. Wish people would learn to read.
Related resources
November 18, 2011 5:34:14 PM

Start>Run
CMD
I'm not sure but isn't this command?

attrib +h *.sfk /s

I think it applies to all *.sfk extensions, but I might be wrong... :hello:
December 14, 2011 2:18:13 PM

me 1 said:

attrib +h *.sfk /s

This works!
I was also looking to hide .sfk files. My gogle search was "set a filetype to hidden". Weird!

Thanks!
!