Make File Types Hidden?

Is there any way specify which files windows considers "system files" so I
can make a certain kind of file always hidden? I know I can right click on a
file and make it hidden, but what if I wanted to, say, make all *.sfk files
hidden (a necessary file for my sound editing software, but very annoying to
see every time I look in a folder). Any ideas? I'm sure there has to be
something....
5 answers Last reply
More about make file types hidden

    Hi,

    You can make any file 'system'. Just go to the command prompt (Start/Run CMD) and use the attrib command. For example,
    if you want to make a file file.sfk which resides on the C:\ drive a system file, just type:

    attrib c:\file.sfk +s

    For more help on the attrib command, type:

    attrib/?

    at the command prompt.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "mr_plans" <mrplans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way specify which files windows considers "system files" so I
    > can make a certain kind of file always hidden? I know I can right click on a
    > file and make it hidden, but what if I wanted to, say, make all *.sfk files
    > hidden (a necessary file for my sound editing software, but very annoying to
    > see every time I look in a folder). Any ideas? I'm sure there has to be
    > something....

  2. That's not what he asked, as a matter of fact he specifically stated that he does not need to do what you offered as a solution. Wish people would learn to read.
  3. Start>Run
    CMD
    I'm not sure but isn't this command?

    attrib +h *.sfk /s

    I think it applies to all *.sfk extensions, but I might be wrong... :hello:
  4. me 1 said:

    attrib +h *.sfk /s

    This works!
    I was also looking to hide .sfk files. My gogle search was "set a filetype to hidden". Weird!

    Thanks!
  5. Here's how to solve the problem in SoundForge 10 (it might also be in other Sony programs)

    1) set the folders to not show hidden files
    2) in SoundForge, go to Options/Preferences/
    3) go to the General tab
    4) in the list of General Preferences, about 12 from the end, check the one called "Hide new temporary files"
    5) now go to one of your folders that doesn't have any .sfks in it and open all the files in SoundForge - it will make the .sfks as it always does, but they're be "hidden" (in the properties box for each file). If you did step 1 you shouldn't see them at all - if you toggle #1 back to "show hidden files" you should see them

    The catch, of course, is that for many things, like "AppData" hidden folders, you don't want them hidden, but you can always toggle between the two and if you have zillions of folders full of audio files that keep getting opened in Sony apps, it's worth it.

    NOW ... once you've got this working, there's still the problem of all the pre-existing non-hidden .sfks. The easiest thing to do is to search your drive(s) with Agent Ransack or some other search program for .sfk, then select all and delete. The next time you open the parent files they'll take a little longer while the new, hidden .sfk is created. Of course, with a modern computer, the value of having the .sfk is less. In the old days, it would take forever each time you opened a big file for it to draw the waveform. That's why the app was written to use .sfks. Even now, if it's a 60 minute audio file, it can take quite a while to draw the wave form if there's no .sfk.