Can I plug USB 2.0 hard drive into a USB 3.0 socket?

mayron4077

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,

I've just built a PC which has 2 USB 3.0 sockets however I'm unsure how they work. Can I plug my external hard drive I've been using for a few years which uses USB 2.0 into this USB 3.0 socket on the case or will that not work?

If not, what do I need to buy or how can I use these USB 3.0 for file transfer from an external hard drive?

Thank you

mayron4077

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
DO most newer external hard drives come with USB 3.0? Wondering what I need to buy so that I will be able to use this new technology

I wouldn't go as far to say that most of the new ones do, as looking on Newegg, clearly they still have plenty of them for sale that use 2.0 USB interface. But yes, there are many USB 3.0 external hard drives on the market. If you wish to take advantage of the speed increase, you would want to purchase one that its rated for it. USB 3.0 would be a main selling point, so when shopping for one, if the product doesn't specify on it, I would assume it to be a 2.0.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
why would you waste money buying entire drive... you can buy usb3.0 enclosure and put your old drive in it

then again, don't expect to get blazing speeds compared to usb2.0 since you'd then be limited by the speed of hdd

Thats why lol. But, you are correct, and that was an oversight on my part for not mentioning it.