Did I do a good Job?

Sbauer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hey everyone, first time posting, and somewhat new hobby building and gaming. Just wanted to see if I did good on my first PC build!

Aerocool Syclone ii case (3 cs fans)
Asus p8p67 delux rev 3.0 w/ uefi bios
Intel i2600k (NO OC YET)
2x EVGA 550ti 1gb vid card on sli bridge
thermaltake 950w psu (modular)
corsair 2x4gb vengeance memory w/ corsair ram fan (buying 2 more sticks this weekend!)
cooler master hyper 212 cpu fan
fan controller w/ temp sensors in front bay
24x (i think) asus dvrw disk drive
hitachi 1tb HD

Let me know, please give some recommendations (with out being rude please). I want to sell this off and build a different one if this one is good

BTW- running latest games (SWTOR and BF3) flawlessly

Thanks everyone! -ScottyB

First... I am not trying to be rude, but am giving honest feedback on your build.

MB - Fine and all, but anything build today should be on the Z68 platform for its additional features at the same costs. There isn't anything wrong with P67, but no reason not to go with Z68.

GPU - You are already maxed out on graphics power without pulling both of the 550 Ti GPUs so an upgrade would be costly. 550 Ti GPU's in SLI is OK, but they are on the lower end. You would probably have been better with a single 560 Ti for now, then add a second later (or other "larger" single GPU).

MEM - The important part is 1.5v modules. The heatsyncs and fan aren't serving much of a purpose unless you are overclocked to the hill...

PSU - Thermaltake is OK, but there are better brands to choose from at the cost of that 950w unit. 950w could also be considered overkill, but that isn't a bad thing in this space.

The problem with selling that as a used rig is with the GPUs. As already stated you are maxed out with a pair of (now) $110 cards. Not very "future proof" in the gaming world.. Barring this you are in good shape.

Sbauer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
all honest feed back is appreciated! send some links or part numbers for me to browse though. The hardest thing for me to grasp are the gpu's with so many styles, brands and numbers I can never keep track. I will put my gpu limit at $450-$500. hook me up here!

I think he's saying he want's to tell that rig ^, and build a new one. From the ground up.

If thats what your saying OP, then list a price range and we will put the parts together. The only problem with the current times is the new technologies are releasing within the course of the next 4 months. Intels Ivy bridge is coming out, as well as NVIDIA's kepler. The only problem is there is still yet to be any performance comparisons that are legit for both. If possible, hold out for another 3 months, You can do it with that system, trust me.

As for the Income price of selling that gaming computer as is in 3 months from now:
I would say your looking at the 600-700$ ball park. Considering you paid in total about 800 or more from that system with everything retail. The good think about Intel is, the value of the computer when you sell it is still high because the performance its fresh for about 3-4 years.

I hope i have put things into perspective. If you are saying that your looking at those parts to purchase, We can make you one better. for just a 100$ more. 1 of my 560 ti's performance along the levels of your 550ti. So....Within another year, you need to upgrade your GPU power. and Also as Sadam said, Thermaltake PSU's, Yea not a good idea. I am thinking Corsair or Cooler Master. I have preferred Corsair's Power Supply's. But i Also like the build quality of Cooler Master's so both are good, when buying a Power supply, the main things you need to know is, What the 12v rail ratings are, 1 0r 2 12v are highly recommended (Don't get one with 4 12v rails). Aslo the total wattage. Calculate how much all your other components put together draw by using a Power Supply Calculator. And last but most important standard is the 80 Plus rating, they Rate Anywhere from Silver to Gold (Maybe Platinum?) now adays.

Graphics: Graphics is probably the most important Factor for a Gamer builder. Make sure your Graphics Department can handle the JOB!

Case and Air FLow: I really like that case, I have only used Mid towers and will always use Full from now on, because the one i picked didnt have quite enough Airflow, But i like this case. Your case is perfect for the job, It supports ATX and has plenty of room.

Well that looks about it, RAM looks good (I almost picked that kit)

Good Luck, and come back if you need help!

Ordering from Amazon?, Unless you want to SLI 560 ti's (Which is what i am doing and much better performance than 550 ti's.

Pop two of these: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Graphics-Mini-HDMI-SLI-Capable/dp/B004L01QVM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331816905&sr=1-3

or if you want 1 card.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130748

I my self after seeing that GTX 580.....I might actually get one, thats a good deal. I don't try to max out my Games because i know my computer can't do it. Thats why i run it on High to keep that Smoothness. Without sacraficing that visual display quality.

Sbauer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo11.jpg

Here are some photos. working on some better more cleanly wire management. temps on the fan controller are from a fresh start up, not warmed up yet.

**working on some better more cleanly wire management**

Glad to read those words.....

building to sell is tricky, I upgraded accidentally after building a £1500 W/c unit,
the only way to make money building imo, is to build it to a clients order
you probably won't sell this one for any return so keep and enjoy it,
and tidy those Gorram cables up!!!!!! :p
Aim for this level,(Front panel cables seen in corner hinge of door invisible when door shut, panel is mounted on the door)
IMAG0349.jpg

Moto

Sbauer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
looks very clean with the black wire wraps. This case has very little play between the mother board and back panel. and once the fan controller was added, then all the wires got crazy! I get to play with it some more this weekend. Im going to try to hide the molex and the fan control/ temp wires better.

I'm a tad unfair man, I'm the resident cable monster here,
the black stuff is fabric tape, I pinned the gfx cards bends with duct tape then dressed to make pretty with taxidermists tape :)
but for selling systems to other, paying clients, you should at least have them neat, gives a more professional image :)
You can always Pm me if you want/need help, my Gf's build had no space behind the tray at all lol :p

Moto